JDF Grants $10 Million to 8 Islet Centers Worldwide
The Juvenile Diabetes Foundation (JDF) has granted another $10 million for islet transplant research. The money will be divided among eight centers worldwide, linking the knowledge of the top islet scientists.
A major focus will be finding a way to create an ample supply of islets for transplantation into people with diabetes, perhaps the issue that most plagues islet research.
The $10 million provides for the establishment of a JDF Human Islet Distribution Program at these eight centers:
- JDF Center for Islet Cell Transplantation at Harvard Medical School
- Diabetes Research Institute at the University of Miami
- Diabetes Institute of Immunology and transplantation at the University of Minnesota
- Diabetes Research Training Center of Washington University
- JDF Center for Human Islet Transplantation in Seattle
- JDF/Medical Research Council Diabetes Research Network on Islet Transplantation at the University of Alberta
- Beta Cell Transplant program at Vrije Universiteit in Brussels
- University of Giessen, Germany