Financial Concerns About Insulin Pumps

Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is not meant to be the last word on the cost of using an insulin pump.

A few of the most frequently asked questions

| Feb 1, 2006

Many concerns arise when patients consider the costs of insulin pump therapy. The following are a few of the most frequently asked questions:

What is the cost of a pump?

About $6,000 is the average price.

How much of the cost will my insurance cover?

Most insurance plans provide coverage for insulin pump therapy and diabetes testing supplies under a Durable Medical Equipment (DME) clause. Pump manufacturers’ insurance departments have the expertise to negotiate approval for payment with your insurance provider. If you have a co-payment, the manufacturer will set up a payment plan, if necessary.

Medicare and Medicaid plans also provide coverage, but you should check with the plan administrator in your state.

What is the cost of supplies?

Monthly costs for intensive insulin pump management supplies can range from $250 to $500, depending on your insurance plan and on the frequency of site changes. Here are potential costs for 10 set changes per month (every three days):

Needle set Approximately $6.90 per set $69
90-degree insertion cannula Depending on the brand,
$10.83 per set or
$13.50 per set

$108.30
$135
30-degree insertion cannula $11 per set $110
Pump syringes $10 per month $37-$46
Sterile dressings and skin prep $10 per month
Example: box of 50 IV prep wipes
Some vendor cash prices can be 30%-50% less than billed list price. Ask about payment options and discounts.
$32 (billed)
$16 (cash)
Insulin Depends on coverage/co-pay/amount used. Variable
Test strips Minimum of four daily multiplied by cost per strip. Approximately .75 to $1.00 per strip. Usually covered by insurance. $3-$10 per day

Prices shown are estimates only. Vendor and manufacturer prices vary and can change at any time.

How can we save money on supplies?

If you use sites and supplies beyond the recommended limits, consider these costs: How much does a trip to the emergency room or the doctor’s office cost if you develop an abscess? What is the cost of the antibiotic to treat an infection? What is it worth to avoid the inconvenience of a missed delivery or occlusion alarms or the wait for a replacement pump?

What about tax deductions?

Keep all receipts for diabetes supplies and prescriptions. These can add up, and they may be partially deductible as medical expenses. Even if they are not deductible, you have started a paper trail of medical expenses that might be useful in a future tax year. Talk to the manufacturer’s sales and insurance staff . Don’t let any of the above concerns deter you from seeking a better quality of life, because having a better quality of life is truly priceless.

Categories: Diabetes, Diabetes, Health Insurance, Insulin, Insulin Pumps, Syringes

Diabetes Health Reference Charts

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 6 September 2008

Please can enybody tell me a price of an insulin pump an if is posible to buy it from europe? Thanks

Posted by Anonymous on 4 April 2009

come on who can use an insulin pump which is unaffordable though it is a boon to diabetes but we should think of something which dosen't eat our pockets please bring something in the market which is affordable.since i am also a diabetic and take injections i also want to get rid of these tentions.

Posted by subi on 27 April 2009

how can i get a insulin pump through insurance... SUBI

Posted by Anonymous on 27 April 2009

I'm so tired of getting screwed over by medical companies. I got on pump therapy 5 years ago when I was in high school on my parents insurance. But now without insurance, I cant believe the ridiculous mark up on little plastic parts. These companies should be ashamed of themselves for screwing people over.

Posted by Anonymous on 2 June 2009

My son needs a pump but my insurance company will not cover it. Where can I find help to get a pump? I can't spend 5 to 6 thousand dollars out of pocket for a pump.

Posted by Anonymous on 17 August 2009

My husband is a pump candidate and wanted to use the Omnipod, but Medicare said it would not cover it. When I read the Medicare regulation there was nothing said about a specific brand only that it would cover pumps. I've been on hold to Medicare several times but haven't gotten through to get an answer. Any help here?

Posted by Anonymous on 25 August 2009

Most pump companies will do all the haggling with your insurance companies or medicare, you will most likely not even have to contact them. It IS ridiculous the trouble one has to go through just to take care of themselves, but it is something we must do. Your insurance company may tell you that it will not cover the pump, but with a little convincing from the pump sale man they will cave and get you your pump. Hang in there folks!

Posted by Anonymous on 20 October 2009

I've had Type 1 Diabetes for 21 years. Since my levels are all over the placed, my doctor said I should consider the pump. But when I called my insurance company, they said they cover 100% - but only up to $2,000 yearly. I checked out prices, and that's not nearly enough. So now I'll wait for the representative from the pump company to talk to my insurance company. Hopefully, I'll be able to afford it then .

Posted by Anonymous on 15 December 2009

search a little. you will find a piece of evidence that some vaccines and Type 1 diabetes are linked. a link for the beginning: vaccines.net/newpage16.htm

Comment: