Diabetes Archives

New LifeScan Software Gets You In ‘Touch’ With Better Diabetes Control

Aug 1, 2006

Diabetes management software

As a user of LifeScan glucose meters, I was eager to take a look at their diabetes management software. I installed the software, hooked up the data cable, grabbed my trusty UltraSmart glucose meter and started up the software with a double-click on the OneTouch icon.

The software is designed to operate similarly to a Web browser. Four prominent buttons are located in the middle of the home screen: Setup, Download Meter, View Reports and Manually Enter Data. The OneTouch software offers a number of different reports such as Logbook, Glucose Trend, Standard Day, Insulin, Pie Chart, Health Checks, Summary, Average Readings and Exception.

The Health Checks report will show health-related factors such as blood pressure, weight, doctor visits and results of A1C tests.

The very helpful Summary report provides a snapshot of key reports for a given time period.

Another good feature is the Favorite report, which has its own button on the top of the screen. Using the “preferences” setup, choose your favorite report and it will immediately be displayed when the “favorite” button is clicked. The Health Checks report will show data for cholesterol, triglycerides, ketones, A1C, height, weight and more. The report will display only the most current data, but the software can track multiple sets of data. For example, you can keep track of the results of these tests over a period of time and look back to compare or contrast other results with the data.

Another detail I like is the ToolTips feature, which allows you to move your mouse pointer to a particular data value. After a brief pause, a message box will appear with additional information about that data value.

And the Cost?

The OneTouch Diabetes Management Software is free of charge and can be downloaded from the LifeScan Web site. However, it is sizable, and downloading is recommended only if you have high-speed Internet access. If you use a dial-up modem for your Internet connection, order the software on CD. The total price for the data cable and software on CD is $59.98.

For more information, contact LifeScan Customer Service at (800) 227-8862 or visit the Web site at www.lifescan.com.

OneTouch Diabetes Management Software works with the following meters:

• OneTouch Ultra
  • OneTouch Ultra 2
  • OneTouch UltraSmart
  • InDuo
  • OneTouch Basic
  • OneTouch SureStep
  • OneTouch Profile
  • OneTouch FastTake
  • OneTouch II

The OneTouch software runs on several versions of Windows including Windows 95c, 98SE, NT 4, 2000, ME and XP.

You will need 200 MB of hard disk space, 128 MB of RAM, a serial or USB port, CD ROM drive, a mouse and video monitor with 800 x 600 screen resolution and 256 colors. A data cable for downloading from the glucose meter is required and can be obtained from LifeScan for $29.99.

Categories: A1c Test, Diabetes, Diabetes, Insulin, Software

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 11 November 2007

I use the onetouch ultrasmart meter myself. I then log this info in excel later. I was really looking forward to the ontouch software. Personally, the software is useless. I am a software engineer myself, and it's very obvious they have a team of monkey's working on this project. None of the reports are useful, and the logbook portion for entering/editing/deleting logbook entery's is useless at best. Very dissapointed. I suggest whoever writes the second incarnation of this software actually try using it.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 January 2008

does not work with windows Vista

Posted by Anonymous on 18 August 2008

I use this software on Vista with no problems. It is very simple and not as flexible as I would like.

Posted by jaimezelia on 25 April 2009

onetouch,diabetes management software
not can rund & winds 2000

Posted by duquette on 3 May 2009

will not recognize meter.i used 2 software &cable packs. Plus 2 different computers.
this is a costly bad joke!

Posted by Anonymous on 6 August 2009

Will not work on my iMac. BUT there is "virtual Windows" software which can be downloaded (some is free)....and with that theoretically YOU COULd run on iMac. BUT these virtual Windows programs take long time to unload on dial up. & that's one reason I haven't tried it. And also the directions for downloading virtual Windows seems complicated to me. Google "virtual Windows" for links. If you get it working, please share your experience at diabeteshealth.com. I'd really like to be able to do with my iMac what I used to do on my old Dell computer! Thanks. Mr. Wantacure.

Posted by Anonymous on 30 September 2009

I tried to make it work there is no way to make it

Posted by Cryppie on 14 November 2009

Re those who say the software will not recognize the meter. I had the same problem. I called tech support and learned that the program couldn't find the com port the USB cable was using. Upon accessing My Computer hardware profile/device manager and looking up the com port number under "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMxx)" I could then tell the program to access the xx port. Worked like a charm after that.

Comment: