Blood Glucose Archives

Me and My Byetta

Aug 1, 2006

A Story of 48 Pounds Lost

Byetta, which came on the market last year, was developed to help people with type 2 diabetes who weren’t getting adequate blood glucose control using other drugs. Any associated weight loss was only incidental.

My blood glucose control is good with A1C levels in the low 6s. For me, weight loss is the main event. When I learned in 1994 that I had diabetes, I lost weight for a year. But since then, my weight has crept up. Since I started on Byetta just three and a half months ago, I’ve already lost 48 pounds.

I have known about the concept that eventually became Byetta for more than eight years. More than four years ago, I wrote what I believe was the first article about it.

Still, I didn’t jump on Byetta right away, because people in the clinical trials didn’t lose that much weight. For example, those who took it for a year lost less than eight pounds.

It was only early this year, after I interviewed Joe Prendergast, MD, an endocrinologist in Redwood City, Calif., that I decided to try Byetta. He told me that the average weight loss of his 200 patients taking Byetta was 35 pounds. Since then, I’ve learned that it’s common for patients to lose a lot more weight compared with the marginal weight loss experienced by those patients enrolled in clinical trials. The difference may be the strict protocol of clinical trials. Or it might be motivation.

Now I’ve got that motivation. For the first time in my life, I haven’t had to struggle to lose weight because Byetta helps to control hunger. It also gives me more energy than I’ve had in years. I feel 10 years younger.

By October 2007, my goal is to weigh the same or less than I weighed when I got out of the army 50 years ago. That goal is now within sight.

Editor’s note: The author owns stock in Amylin, the company that developed Byetta.

Categories: A1c Test, Blood Glucose, Byetta, Diabetes, Diabetes, Losing weight, Type 2 Issues, Type 2 Medications, Weight Loss

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 14 January 2008

Everyone seems to lose weight and control their hunger with Byetta. However, Byetta has no such effect on me-- I take 10 mgs.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 March 2008

Byetta stopped working for me after about 3 months and a loss of 30 lbs. I started to eat uncontollably again. I then stopped taking byetta. 8 months have passed/ I have regained the weight and more. Should I take it again?

Posted by Anonymous on 11 April 2008

I have been on byetta for about 4 months - lost 15 pounds and feel great my bs levels have lowered- my a1c lowered as did my cholesterol. I have been feeling great

Posted by Anonymous on 4 May 2008

I'm wondering how you are doing with your weight loss efforts now. My dr. has put me on byetta for weight loss. I am not a diabetic. Once I got past the nauseous feeling, which only lasted about 3 days, I find that I'm not as interested in food. I'm on a low carb diet as well and I find that Byetta takes the edge off not eating carbs, which are my first choice any time.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 May 2008

try taking making the focus of your life something other than food, then hopefully that will take away the need to eat frequently

Posted by Anonymous on 23 May 2008

David, do you know if you have any genetic markers associated with diabetes?

Posted by Anonymous on 21 August 2008

I've been on Byetta with metformin for 5 months and lost 18 lbs. I also track my food intake (write it down & count calories) and exercise. My a1c is 5.3%

I can eat more calories and still lose weight. I know this because I tracked my calories before and now after going on the meds.

I finally got off the sulfonyurea that I had taken for 8 years.

Posted by Anonymous on 27 October 2008

It's great that this medication works for so many. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I tried/suffered through a month of taking Byetta and while I did lose weight, it was because I was so sick from the medication that I could barely eat and I had to go to bed not long after taking my shot. It absolutely wiped me out. I wanted so much for it to work but it was just not for me, in spite of trying different timing, food, etc. Obviously, it just doesn't agree with me.

Posted by Anonymous on 3 December 2008

i have been on byetta for 2 weeks and i have lost 13 pounds. i am very glad my doctor pointed me in the right direction. i feel so much better then i did before i started it. im just sorry it didn't work for some of you. but whatever you do don't give up. i tried many different things that didn't work, before this came along. my husband has been on it for 1 month , he has lost 7 pounds. everyone is different.

Posted by Anonymous on 31 January 2009

Does anyone know if David Mendosa is still on Byetta? Is it plausible to go on Byetta until desired weight loss is accomplished, and then go off, and still be able to keep good blood sugar control?

Posted by Anonymous on 26 May 2009

I have been on Byetta for about a year and a half. In the beginning, it worked wonderfully to curb my appetite and helped me loose 25 lbs. Now it does not seem to be working anymore to curb my appetite or help me loose weight. I am on 10mg. Has this happened to anyone else and can anything be done to help get that effect back?

Posted by Anonymous on 10 August 2009

I have been on Byetta since March 2009. I have lost 24 lbs. I started on 5 mg then 10 mg. Don't get nauseated much any more. I know Byetta helped me lose weight and helps keep my sugar down. My A1C is now 6.5.

Posted by SFerree6 on 7 May 2010

Hi,
I have been on Metformin 2000 mg aday plus taking Glipazide 10 since October or November last year and my doctor now wants to add Byetta, my AC1 is still high. She said that Byetta will help me lose weight also. I have to admit that after reading several reviews, I am really curious to see what it can do for me. I have an appt. with a dietician Tuesday next week to show me how to use this pen. I weigh 222 at 5'6" and 53 yrs. old. I would love to lose about 55 or 60 pounds. I hope if and when this weight starts coming off, I will feel like getting back on the treadmill again. I am pretty sure I can tolerate the nausea if the weight will come off. I will keep you updated on my progress. I am also on blood pressure medicine along with a beta blocker. My BP is doing fine after adding the beta blocker My email address is SFerree6@triad.rr.com
WISH ME LUCK!!
Sharon

Posted by Anonymous on 28 January 2011

Everything that I have read is very encouraging.I look forward to using this product with the same results. I will comment regarding the effects in a few weeks. As a nurse, I am familiar with Diabetes Meds. I plan to recommend this to my co-workers and patients. And I will recommend this to the Physicians I work with.

Posted by Anonymous on 19 March 2011

The first time I took Byetta which, was two days ago I immediately felt like I had more energy. Previously, I always felt sluggish and lack of energy.

Most importantly, when I arise in the morning I feel so much better. Previously, I would wake up and feel like I hadn't slept at all even if I slept for 12 hours !!

The absolute most important part of taking Byetta for me is of course better regulation of B/S but, a reduced appetite.
Previously, I ate all the time and as a result gained a huge amount of weight. I was always hungry.

Now, my appetite has been reduced significantly !!!!! So by taking byetta I may eventually rid myself of diabetes because, I am losing weight with Byetta.

Posted by Anonymous on 27 February 2012

I have had Type 2 diabetes for one year and suffered on Metformin. I have been on Byetta for 2 weeks today and all my clothes fit again. I dont know my weight loss as I only weigh in at the doctors office. I am only eating 20-60carbs per meal and very few of those carbs are "white" carbs. I no longer need a nap in the middle of the day and the thought of eating candy or cake or anything like that, is not there anymore. Once in a while I may feel nausea. Overall I am excited about Byetta, just not the price. I also work out about 4 hours a week now, where as before, I had no desire to work out.

Comment: