Type 2 Issues Archives

Two, Two, Two Pills in One: Meet Janumet

Apr 20, 2007

The FDA has approved Janumet, Merck’s merge of metformin and Januvia into one pill, for use with type 2 diabetes in the United States.  Januvia (sitagliptin) is a DPP-4 inhibitor that works by enhancing the incretin system, a natural process that lowers blood sugar.

(For a description of exactly how that works, see our article “The Incretin Saga”)  Metformin, the most prescribed medicine for type 2 diabetes, is an older drug, the generic form of Glucophage.  It decreases the amount of glucose absorbed from food, reduces the quantity of glucose made by the liver, and increases the body's response to insulin. Merck hopes that their new pill will be helpful from a copay and from a convenience perspective. Combined sales of Januvia and Janumet are expected to total more than $2 billion by 2010.

Sources: Janumet website
Bloomberg.com

Categories: Blood Sugar, Diabetes, Diabetes, Food, Insulin, Type 2 Issues, Type 2 Medications

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 6 December 2007

I HAVE BEEN TAKEN JANUMET OF 3 WEEKS AND MY BLOOD SUGER READING ARE GOING UP, UP, AND UPPER, FROM 130 TO 180.

Posted by Anonymous on 13 January 2008

I have been taking Janumet for the past 4 months and at first it was nice and low but now I notice that it keeps going up.

Posted by Anonymous on 9 November 2008

I take januvia and metformin. Would taking JANUMET make a difference. THANKS PAT

Posted by patty on 9 November 2008

I take JANUVIA and METFORMIN. Will JANUMIT be any different? THANKS PATTY

Posted by Anonymous on 19 January 2009

My doctor put me on Janumet and Actos for my type 2. After 8 months, my blood panel shows the same numbers as a person with no diabetes. He tells me I will never have to use insulin and have the same low risk factors as a regular person now. This doesn't mean I can hit the buffet line every day, or load up on Krispy Kremes. You still have watch your diet and exercise. In other words (use common sense)

Posted by Anonymous on 24 January 2009

I have been taking Janumet for 2 months and my blood sugar levels have been higher 140 - 210 every time I test. This really worries me.

Posted by Anonymous on 2 May 2009

to the person taking janumet and actos i would be curious to know your dosages on each. i have been on janumet alone and its not doing the trick. my doctor just recently put me on 50/500 janumet and 15 actos. i tried the 50/1000 janmet but it just made me sick. couldn;t handle that large of a dosage.

Comment: