Lantus and Levemir: What's the Difference?

| Jul 17, 2007

Lantus and Levemir have a lot in common. Both are basal insulin formulas, which means that they last for a long time in the body and act as background insulin, with a slow feed that mimics the constant low output of insulin produced by a healthy pancreas.

Both are insulin analogues, which means that their insulin molecules are analogous to human insulin, but engineered, or recombined, with slight differences that slow their absorption.

Lantus is a clear formula made with glargine, a genetically modified form of human insulin, dissolved in a special solution. Levemir is also a clear formula, but it contains dissolved detemir, a different form of genetically modified insulin.

Human insulin is made of two amino acid chains, called A and B, that have two disulfide bonds between them. In glargine, one amino acid has been switched out, and two extra amino acids have been added to one end of the B chain. The modifications make glargine soluble at an acidic pH, but much less soluble at the neutral pH that's found in the body

To make Lantus, first the glargine is produced by a vat of E. coli bacteria. Then it's purified and added to a watery solution containing a little zinc and some glycerol; a dash of hydrochloric acid is also added to make it acidic, bringing its pH down to about 4. At that degree of acidity, glargine completely dissolves into the watery solution, which is why the vial is clear.

After you inject it into your subcutaneous tissue, the acidic solution is neutralized by your body to a neutral pH. Because glargine is not soluble at a neutral pH, it precipitates out into a form that's not soluble in subcutaneous fat, and there forms a relatively insoluble depot. From that pool, or depot, of precipitated glargine in the tissues, small amounts slowly move back into solution over time and then to the bloodstream.

Levemir is made with insulin detemir. Insulin determir is created by recombinant DNA technology just like glargine, but is produced by baker's yeast instead of E.coli. It's a clear solution that contains, in addition to the insulin detemir, some zinc, mannitol, other chemicals, and a bit of hydrochloric acid or sodium hydroxide to adjust its pH to neutral. Insulin detemir differs from human insulin in that one amino acid has been omitted from the end of the B chain, and a fatty acid has been attached to the spot instead.

Unlike glargine, detemir does not form a precipitate upon injection. Instead, detemir's action is extended because its altered form makes it stick to itself in the subcutaneous depot (the injection site), so it's slowly absorbed. Once the detemir molecules dissociate from each other, they readily enter the blood circulation, but there the added fatty acid binds to albumin.

More than 98 percent of detemir in the bloodstream is bound to albumin. With the albumin stuck to it, the insulin cannot function. Because it slowly dissociates from the albumin, it is available to the body over an extended period.

Whether Lantus is better than Levemir, or vice versa, is debatable. Levemir is generally supposed to be injected twice daily (although it's approved by the FDA for once or twice daily) and Lantus once. According to Dr. Richard Bernstein, however, Lantus also usually works better if injected twice a day. The acidic nature of Lantus can sometimes cause stinging at the injection site, and both formulas cause allergic reactions in rare cases.

Most trials of the effectiveness of Lantus and Levemir have compared the two insulins to NPH insulin. NPH is a suspension of crystals in a solution, so it needs to be thoroughly shaken before use to distribute the crystals evenly. Some studies have failed to demonstrate any difference between in Lantus and NPH with regard to evenness of absorption.

Other studies have shown that compared to Lantus and Levemir, NPH has a variable absorption rate and a more pronounced peak. At night especially, hypoglycemia can occur if low glucose from exercise or alcohol consumption coincides with the NPH peak.

In some studies, Levemir has demonstrated less variable, steadier blood glucose-lowering effects compared to both NPH insulin and Lantus. Comparing Levemir with Lantus when used with a fast-acting insulin in patients with type 1 diabetes, Levemir had a lower risk of major hypoglycemia and nocturnal hypoglycemia, but the risk of hypoglycemia overall was comparable. The blood sugar control provided by the two insulins was similar as well.

Categories: Beginners, Blood Glucose, Blood Sugar, Diabetes, Diabetes, Insulin, Lantus, Low Blood Sugar, Professional Issues, Type 1 Issues

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 31 October 2007

Being 47 and a type 2 for 10+ yrs trying to balance BS with diet, oral meds and insulin is still a daily struggle for me because the diet part is my main problem. Eating what I can find at the time just doesnt get it but ya gotta eat as the ad says but I dont do checkers but still eat out and eat the wrong things at that but try to eat the "junk" in moderation and cover excesses with novalog

Posted by Anonymous on 1 November 2007

I am a RN and work in NW FL and have not seen much use of levemir and actually administered it only once or twice. Lantus is fairly common now and hardly see NPH used at all any longer.
The majority of the patients I see are older and on a fixed income. When asking about their home meds I find out often that they havent been taking them because they cant afford them all. Its either pay bills to keep the lights on or buy their $500/mo of meds. I dont know what a bottle of levemir costs but I asked about lantus and think it was around $60 compared to nph at $15-20. For people on a fixed income its not fair to expect them to spend money they dont have to spare when there are more affordable alternatives. I think there is a similar price difference between Reg and Novalog also. I know research costs a lot but the costs of meds (along with everything else) is out of control. Another example $200 for 30 Actos compared to $4 for a month supply of glipizide or glucophage. I wonder how long Wal Mart will honor those prices??

Posted by Anonymous on 7 November 2007

I am a Type I diabetic (for 40 years) and have just changed from Lantus to Levemir this week. My physician told me to take it once a day and use the same dose that I did with Lantus. I had repeated hypoglycemic reactions with Lantus because of its peak periods of absorption. I have noticed that my blood sugars are running higher and am wondering if I should be dosing with Levemir 2X daily instead of once daily. If so, do you cut the dose in half?

I am also curious about weight gain with Lantus. Is that well documented?

Posted by Anonymous on 13 November 2007

I have Type 1 diabetes (26 years now) and was just switched to Levemir from Lantus due to nighttime hypoglycemia, which was seldom. It has only been one week since the switch. My blood sugars immediately skyrocketed (300-500) and I feel sick and nauseated everyday and hardly eat anything. I was taking 20 units Lantus and 1:1 carb ratio Humalog, and my blood sugars seldom reached 300. One week later, I am now taking 35 units of Levemir and 3:1 carb ratio Humalog, still having high blood sugars and already gained 5 pounds. My doctor thinks I need to give the Levemir a longer try, but I want my Lantus back. What's a diabetic to do? Is one week not long enough of a trial period for Levemir? Has anyone else out there experienced this?

Posted by Anonymous on 14 November 2007

I just started Levemir alittle over a week ago also, switched from using Byetta. I am still taking twice daily Amaryl. She wanted me to start out with 10 units, taken at night between 9-10pm. Immediately I noticed that my BG readings shot up high. After about two days of that I started adjusting my doses myself, alittle at a time, trying to get it to work for me better. I even tried several days of taking 10 units in morning and 10 at night, didn't work. Finally yesterday I decided to not take a morning shot, I waited until last night and took one shot of 25 units and I had much better results, but not where I want it. Tonight I took a 30 unit shot of Levemir and hopefully this will be just right. But I am wondering, is a 30 unit shot considered too much for one shot? What is the average units of insulin taken for a diabetic? Anyone know?

Posted by CissiMae on 15 November 2007

I am now on day 8 of Levemir. I finally took 35 units last night and woke up with a 127 blood sugar. I also take the Humalog each time I eat on a 3 units to 1 carb ratio. I didn't like my low reactions from Lantus, but it did keep my blood sugars level at a lower dosage than Levemir. I would like to know which insulin is considered superior, Lantus or Levemir? Lantus is made from E. coli and Levemir from Baker's Yeast. And some say Lantus can cause cancer!?!?!? My brother was on Lantus and died from colorectal cancer at age 46.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 November 2007

I am the one who posted last week when I switched from Lantus to Levemir. I gave up after 7 days due to blood sugars running between 300 and 500. I never had this problem with Lantus and have resumed taking Lantus this week.

My original problem with Lantus was the peak absorption period that I noticed about 8-10 hrs after taking an evening dose. That resulted in insulin shock happening between 4am and 6am when I was sleeping. I started taking Lantus in the morning instead, so peak absorption would occur in the afternoon when I was awake and could do something about it. That has worked well for me.

Posted by CissiMae on 26 November 2007

After two weeks of Levemir (up to 45 units) and skyrocketing blood sugars (300-500), I went back on my Lantus (30 units) and, of course, the Humalog when eating (which I also took with Levemir). My blood sugars are 90-100 fasting again. I also take the Lantus in the morning to avoid nighttime peaks. I would truly have to say that LANTUS IS SUPERIOR OVER LEVEMIR. I feel so much better back on the LANTUS. LEVEMIR definitely must be a twice a day insulin, not a once a day insulin as we are made to believe. LANTUS is definitely a once a day insulin for me. I am so happy to be back on the LANTUS. I just hope it doesn't cause cancer. STAY ON THE LANTUS FOLKS!! LEVEMIR REALLY SUCKS BIG TIME!!

Posted by Xerelda on 18 December 2007

In response to the person who said the cancer myth was put to rest years ago--ah--wrong. The article I read was dated Feb. 2006. That's not that long ago, and besides that clinical studies of Lantus caused Malignant Fibrous Histiocytomas in mice and rats--another words--cancer. Do you really want to take chances with it?

Posted by Anonymous on 2 January 2008

too may reps posting here

Posted by Anonymous on 22 January 2008

I just switched from Lantus to Levemir.
I LOVE it.Not only would Lantus burn, but my blood sugar would go lower at night and then go higher in the morning (between 8 and 11 am)which means i would have to do an extra injection at 10 to lower it. Levemir is much more stable and I do it once a day. My doctor told me that I might have to increase or my dose or do two Levemir injections if I'm too high but that it's normal because Levemir is less strong than Lantus. On top of that now I don't have to worry about increasing my risk of cancer. I heard that Lantus can make u gain weight and Levemir doesn't but I'm not sure. Does anyone know??

Posted by CastleLord on 24 January 2008

Jan 22 anonymous,
Weight gain is a function of the insulin in your blood turning the floating sugars into fat (or muscle) so the weight gain from either lantus or levimir should be about the same. I have been switched by my doctor to levimar after being on lantus for 6 years. Lantus has worked very well until lately for me. I have resorted to upwards of 55 units or lantus and still was not getting the sugar control that I had been enjoying. I have been using Novalog with the lantus for about six months and everything went swimmingly until about six weeks ago. I will post again after I have had a chance to compare levemir's sugar control with lantus (that I continue to use until the levemir pens [ :-) ] arrive.

Posted by Anonymous on 30 January 2008

Thanks CastleLord for your answer, but then does that mean you can't lose weight with either one?
Why did your lentus suddenly stop going well for you?
The same thing happened to me but I had only been using the Lentus for 2 years. I still have a low effect at night and have reduced my levemir too a very low amount(7 units). But that happened with lentus and after about 2 weeks I had to increase it to the previous dose.I'm quite frustrated with this odd effect both insulins have...Have you ever had this effect? Why is my amount so low?
PS I know I ask a lot of questions!! :D

Posted by Anonymous on 4 February 2008

all of these comments just makes me more confused. I wish i could get solid answers every doctor tells you something different and every person has a different story.

Posted by Anonymous on 9 February 2008

I just started to take the levimer this week. Two of my doctors told me that my dosage is less than what I was taking of lantus. They also mentioned that there was less of a chance of weight gain. So far, I haven't noticed much of a change between the 2 as far as how I am feeling. Reading this site has seriously confused me! I will keep checking back on here to see the latest on what other people are experiencing...take care everyone!

Posted by Anonymous on 22 February 2008

I have been on Lantus and have been struggling with my weight and blood sugar levels. I have also recently become super tired and weak along with awful dizzy spells. I am frustrated to see that since I started Lantus my weight has creeped up every year. I am going to my doctor and definitely switching to Levemir. Its definitely worth a try for me!

Posted by Anonymous on 25 February 2008

I am taking 140units of Lantus nightly to keep my readings acceptable.
Is anyone else taking such a high dose?

Posted by Anonymous on 25 February 2008

I thought this article was very informative on the difference between the two insulins. To answer a couple questions: The average insulin dose of basal insulin is about 37 units. Type 2's with insulin resistance may require much more. If you are on high dose once a day your physician may want to split the dose to reduce the risk of hypoglycaemia. However, when you split the dose you may require 20-40% more insulin daily to achieve the same effect. Before splitting you dose you should check you post meal sugar. Chances are you need mealtime insulin. Too many physicians think that Lantus is the only insulin you need. The reality is, if your A1c is over 8.5 a basal insulin is not going to get you to goal.

Also, Lantus and Levemir both work well once a day. However, everyone is different and one may work better for that individual. There is also a chance that neither one will go 24hrs in some type 1 diabetics.

Posted by Anonymous on 6 March 2008

I am type 1 diabetic for 43 years. First of all, Ultra Lente was a pretty good long term insulin which I started using with HUmalog about 20 years ago. The best thing about it was you could mix it with Humalog or Novolog insulins (which I also take on a sliding scale) and it did NOT require a prescription and at full price cost less than Lantus or Levemir even with insurance co-pay! You cannot mix Lantus or Levemir with Humalog or Novalog, they wipe each other out so now I take 5 shots a day instead of 3. I went off the pump due to cost and the fact that if the canula came out, or there was a problem your blood sugar soared to well over 300 or more in about 1 hour. I started using ultra lente and it worked great then Eli Lily stopped making it. Why, because of money. So I am forced to see a doctor unneccesarily to renew a prescription for a very expensive product (sound familiar) instead of one that worked well and was cheaper. I am currently without insurance so I will have to go back 40 years and use NPH which was what the doctor had me on with nothing else back then. Though now I will use fast acting also. Oh, When I took Levemir at night only, I would wake up in the middle of the night with a blood sugar around 39. If I reduced the amount, it went over 300 before bedtime the next day, so I do 10-12 units in the morning and about 20 at night. 70/30 or other mixes do not allow for larger or smaller meal adjustments, if you take more because of a bigger meal, you now have more of the longer acting and risk a low blood sugar.

Posted by Anonymous on 11 March 2008

Lantus is better

Posted by Anonymous on 24 March 2008

I AM HAVING ONGOING LITIGATION WITH MY UNISON INSURER/MEDICAID.THEY HAVE DENIED MY'LEVEMIR''FOR OVER A YEAR.THEY ALSO HAVE NOT GIVEN MY LEVEMIR WHILE THE APPEAL PROCESS MOVES ALONG.THIS PROCESS VIOLATES PEOPLES' RIGHTS/HUMAN UNDERSTANDING.500 BILLION DOLLARS SPENT IN WARS/4,000 LIVES LOST AND AMERICANS ARE LOSING THEIR BENIFITS.IT IS SAD/WRONG AND PROOF THE SYSTEM NEEDS OVER HAULED.DISABLED/ELDERLY AMERICANS REALIZE/KNOW THESE TRUTHS AND HAVE LITTLE/NO RECOURSE TO CHANGE THE EGREGIOUS ERRORS THAT PUT LIVES IN SERIOUS CONFLICT/DANGEROUS!!!!WE NEED TO ADDRESS THESE ISSUSES TO AVOID PEOPLE;S SUFFING/DYING!!!!!!!!SAM MAXWELL

Posted by Anonymous on 24 March 2008

hi im tacking levemir,sylmlim,and novolog my dr wants me to go up to 100un 4xaday of the levemir has anyone ever konw of anyone tacking that much plz help,,,ty,,

Posted by Anonymous on 5 April 2008

I just started using the Levemir 4 days ago and I love it. I was using Lantus and my sugars were not getting below 400. I also use Novalog on a sliding scale. Since I have started using the Levemir my sugars have dropped drastically just in 4 days. I am feeling so much better. I had swelling in my legs and feet from the lantus and I haven't had that with the Levemir. I love it and I am beginning to feel so much better!!! This coming from a family of diabetics, having lost my mother, sister and brother from the disease, I will take the one that works best for me. We are all different and our bodies work differently. With patience everyone can find the one that works the best! Good luck!

Posted by Anonymous on 11 April 2008

I really think that we need more clinical studies on this. The larger the population studied, the better and more generalizable. My daughter is Type I and on Lantus. She's had some pretty irradic and unexplained hypoglycemic events. I am a Nurse Practitioner and am very happy with my patient outcomes on Levemir. As soon as my daughter is old enough (FDA approval for administration in children at 7 years, though studies show safety in as low as 2 years of age) I am going to try out Levemir. I'm not sure why everyone thinks that Levemir is a twice a day and Lantus is a once a day. They are both either once or twice depending upon the individual patient. This is further demonstrated in prior statements of people needing to take their basals in the morning vs. evening. It is very patient specific. Lantus actually was manufactured by NovoNordisc by the way. NovoNordisc sold it when they developed a "superior" delivery system.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 April 2008

I have been a type 1 for 35 years. I was on Lantus for years because of the benefits over NPH. I always took it once a day; however, couldn't understand why I needed so much more Novolog at dinner. I recently switched to Levemir and because I take such a low dose (18 units daily), my doctor wanted me to switch to twice a day. He said that the time it lasts depends on the amount you take, and even with Lantus, I was taking the same dose but it wasn't lasting 24 hours. That's why I had to take more Novolog at dinner. Since I've started taking Levemir, I have had the best morning sugars ever (even better than my pump, although not sure why). I like that I take it twice a day because if I exercise at night, I can take a unit or two less so I don't get hypo. I couldn't do that with Lantus. I also don't mind that I don't have the burn from Lantus. Not a huge deal, but nice not to have it.

I think we all need to remember, as stated in prior comments, that each person is different, and how our body reacts may be the same or different from comments above. If you're having problems with your current insulin, why not try something else.

Posted by Anonymous on 1 May 2008

Does anyone know how the pharmokinetics of Lantus differs if it is given in the fat instead of subcutaneously. Studies showing this?

Posted by Anonymous on 6 May 2008

hello every one i have read all its so hard to really understand some of you but thanks any way i have just started using levemir at frist i just would not take it i was not sure about it i looked it up read about it 6 days i had it and was just not sure so this is what happen i made my mind up to take it has anyone had any prombles with there arms is it just me or does it cause pain in your uper arms it started in the right arm it hurts is this one of the side affects i looked up side affects to levemir also i just got off lantus because my insurance would no longer pay for it should i be glad abouth it need more info about levemir need to know now thank you all for your input stay blessed we are in a battle i wont to will

Posted by Anonymous on 11 May 2008

I take 100 units of levimer twice a
day it burns and itchs at injection site I also take novolog from a flex pen useing a 3 to 1 carbs.Can not say I like either one my B.S. Is like a roller coaster with out insurance I could not take it the two run about $ 1,000.00 a month. my Doc must like the Novo Rep.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 May 2008

I became Type I in my 40s about 5 years ago. I started on Lantus but it peaked 11 hours after taking it, causing sudden lows (for example, 180 to 45 in 20 minutes), even after my doctor had me switch to 2 Lantus injects a day. Now I am on Levemir and I don't have the peaks, but the margin of error is much smaller (5 carbs too many or too little under the Levemir regime can make me go too high or to low, but that was not the case with Lantus).

Posted by Anonymous on 28 May 2008

I switched from lantus to levemir about 4 months ago, and I also noticed that the marjin of error of the amount of food fluctuates the blood level more than it did with lantus. This being said, I find that the levemir suits me much better. I was taking 18 units of lantus once a day but now with levemir I am only taking a total of 6(twice a day),however it does vary depending on the time of month...
My weight kept going up with lantus but I have lost 4kg with levemir. And yes, I know, it's different for everyone! I wish you all good luck because I know how grueling it can feel(you are not alone in this!).

Posted by Anonymous on 13 June 2008

wow well i have been type 1 for the past 7 years im now 32. im on humalong during day.. and lantus 30 units at night... they want me to switch to levemir 30 units bedtime. my sugars with lantus are 200-4oo during the over night. i soo hope that this levemir works for me my a1c is now 8.9

Posted by Anonymous on 23 June 2008

well.. i been type 1 for the last 14 years im 32 now.. i been using nhp with some hypo problems, anyway my a1c1 is 6% but im gonna change to levemir. I think a sure way to know wich one realy help us is using a Continuos Glucose Monitoring System, does anyone can recomend me a good one. Thanks a lot. Gabriel

Posted by Anonymous on 24 June 2008

First, insulin is a hormone made in the pancreas. It allows food which has been broken down into glucose (sugar) to get into the cells. The sugar is like the gas for your car. The body needs sugar to run. Type 1 diabetics make NO insulin and MUST take it to live. Type 2 diabetics have the genes that can initiate the disease but they cause greater problems by overeating, not exercising and causing the cells to resist the insulin and entry of glucose into the cells. So the pancreas has to work harder to overproduce insulin to overcome the resistance. This will lead to pancreas burnout and insulin will have to be injected. The typical 200 lb, healthy male will produce 1-2 units of "basal" insulin per day. That works out to about 50 units of insulin for 24 hours. Basal or baseline insulin is only the amount needed to keep you alive and breathing. That is all basal insulin is ever meant to do. If you are Type 2 you are dealing with insulin resistence and may need more insulin to overcome the resistance. However, basal insulin is NOT going to handle the sugar loads from a meal. This is done using a bolus or short acting insulin such as Novolog. It will onset quickly, peak quickly, and go away quickly. Usually, you work out the Total Daily Dose of insulin and split it up. The basal will account for 50% of the total daily dose, and the basal should account for the other 50% spread out across the meals to handle the carbs. Type 2 diabetics may be able to put out enough insulin to handle the mealtime but as the disease progresses they will eventually need to add mealtime insulin. Diabetes is a "progressive" disease even if you are diligent and maintain control. Needing insulin does not mean you have failed but your pancreas is just getting worse. This can be delayed and/or possibly prevented if they manage their diet, reduce their weight, and exercise. This can also allow reductions in other diabetic medications, heart medications, cholesterol medications, antidepressant medications, erectile dysfunction medications, pain medications, and greatly enhanced quality of life. By FAR, diet and exercise are the biggest factors to control weight and blood sugars for Type 2 diabetics.
As for LANTUS vs Levemir: Too many things to compare. In general, studies have shown less weight gain with Levemir, less variation in blood sugars from one injection to the next, and lower hypoglycemic events. Levemir can be used once or twice per day on label. Both can work well for Fasting Glucose control and one may work better than the other for you. Even NPH can control A1c if used correctly it just has a higher liklihood of hypoglycemia, weight gain. Since insulin allows sugar to enter the cells and excess sugar to be stored as fat the weight gain does not come from insulin but because you/we overeat. Insulin is just doing what God made it to do. You still control what you eat and how much you eat.

Stay healthy and if you need insulin jump in and get 'er done.

Posted by Anonymous on 28 June 2008

I am a Type 2,have only been on insulin 6 months, now taking 38 of Lantus in the evening. When I ran out, took rapid acting novolog split dose twice a day with meals. It worked for me, but not as well as long acting, sugar levels went above 100. Used up my two bottles of Nov, and now am back on Lantus. Just finding out about Levimir. Too bad about that Ultralente. Cheaper price non prescription sounded promising. May talk to my doctor about NPH in 3 months, if I have not found a way to get completely off insulin by then(excersize, diet, or other)No absolute results to post so far. I have noticed that the day to day morning blood sugars can sometimes vary for no known reason, and amount of protein consumed seems to raise it quickly. i must still be producing some of my own insulin, because if I get down in the BG 70's, I can leave insulin alone for a few days before it hits 100s if I don't over eat. Can't recommend this for anyone else, since it probably won't work that way in other cases.

Posted by Anonymous on 19 July 2008

Basal insulin - whether NPH, Lantus or Levemir - will not affect post prandial readings. You have to take short acting insulin for that. I am a type 1 on Levemir morning and night (16 units per dose). I also take Humalog every time I eat unless I am hypo. Since going onto Levemir, I am free for the first time from awful nocturnal hypos - which often resulted in my family calling out the paramedics. I like Levemir simply because it does not peak in the middle of the night!

Posted by Anonymous on 24 July 2008

Has anyone had any rashes on their forehead from taking lantus, if so what are you taking for it. Has anyone gotten any kind of rashes from levemir.

Posted by Anonymous on 24 July 2008

has anyone gotten any rashes from lantus.

Posted by Anonymous on 6 August 2008

I started Lantus and had a severe reaction to it. My right foot and leg swelled up, right foot developed poor circulation (as seen on a bone scan), my toes became paralysed I developed intense pain that was unbearable at the slightest touch, foot turned from blue to red with temperature changes and I couldn't walk or keep my foot unelveated for two months. I used crutches until 3 months after starting the Lantus, I stopped it and switched to another insulin. I have been able to walk ever since stopping the Lantus.

Posted by obviousadvice on 18 August 2008

The posts are useful - we need to recognize that posts are anecdotal, not a closely supervises STUDY. Recently (after 3 doctors have warned me) 5 months ago >I decided to get serious and joined weight watchers (which I hate)... Good news is that I am down 31 lbs, and lost 4 inches around waist. Am exercising (heaviy hiking, thru hilly terrain) about 2 hrs/day_ 5 days/week. GREAT NEWS is: Lantus dose down from a high of 80-100 (once day) to about 15-25 (about 5 times per week). Got scared once (only time ever) that my blood sugar level dropped below 50. Was after being asleep about 3 hours... 3 hour hike. Took 40 units of lantus. I am MUCH more sensitive to my body now, and really watch it before deciding on amount of daily dose. AM sugars averaging 90-to-110. ALSO, last blood tests and physical showed all measurements well into the GOOD ZONE, except Glycolated Hemo, which was 2 points lower that last test of 5 months ago.
BOTTOM LINE> Correct food choices (Balance, balance, balance) Low GI carbs, 5 veggies per day, lots of water.....VERY FEW sweets (which I love, but not as much as I love my life), and daily exercise have really proven beneficial...
Diabetes control is a long-term game, with a lot of short-term steps.

I am working on what is withing my control (diet, exercise, attitude) to avoid blindness, amputation, retinopathy, and the myriad other complications of diabetes.

Best wishes to all of you in your own battle....

ps: I don't really hate Weight Watchers - They are the ones that have helped me lose that 31 lbs, but it is a "b*****" trying to change overly indulgent habits...

Posted by Anonymous on 29 August 2008

I was diagnosed Type 1 in November 2007, and have tried both Levemir and Lantus as basal insulins. There are good and bad points about both I think. Lantus hurts a bit more, Levemir seems less, well, "strong" is the only word I can think of...

My current insulin, Levemir, I have found (generally) to have less burn; my education nurse laughingly called it a "wimpy" insulin, because it seems to be an almost "milder" insulin - I assume this is why some people need to inject twice daily in some cases. I take 28 units nightly. I find that my blood sugars are a little low in the morning, but if I take even one unit less, they're really high in the morning - and one unit more makes me crash by around 4am nearly every time...

On Lantus, there was definitely some discomfort at the injection site; a burning, itching feeling. Again, though, one unit was the difference for me between extreme highs and lows. I haven't noticed much difference since I switched (personally) except that the Levemir isn't covered my Pharmacare (in BC), which makes the cost a factor (Lantus was covered, at least partially I think)

Both were taken with Humalog as my bolus insulin - which seemed to work pretty well with either insulin, although Novo-Rapid is recommended for use with Levemir (by the manufacturers, of course - I've never tried it, so I can't comment)

I found that the biggest improvement for me came from changing my eating habits to healthier, smaller meals spaced out through the day, and balancing exercise with rest (I also have Fibromyalgia, and the lack of rest can cause my sugars to fluctuate ridiculously)

The last post was wonderful, but there is another key element that ALL diabetics - Type 1 or 2 - need to remember and that is that STRESS is the greatest enemy we can have. If you eat well, exercise, and monitor like a hawk, it makes no difference if you're wound up or overwhelmed with anxieties and stresses.

Walking, reading, meditation, yoga, taichi, massage... whatever helps you to destress, make it a part of your daily routine... you might be surprised how much of a difference that can make for you...

Luck and health to all.

Posted by Anonymous on 31 August 2008

LEVEMIR is highly better than Lantus cause LEVEMIR is more stable, surely less HYPOs and weight gain...

Posted by maryellen on 8 September 2008

I got rashes on large portions of my body after taking levimer. Tried for a while, but got worse.also constrained breathing. changed back to lantus. take it in the am. Dr. had told me Lantus was less stable than levemir, but didn't tell me about the 8-10 hr.pulse. Thank you for that info. this was happening and I didn't why. Now i can plan for it. Need more info about possible cancer concerns. Thanks again for the info

Posted by Anonymous on 16 September 2008

I dislike changing insulins, since i have been "brittle" type 1 for 32 years, now. did well on Lantus and recently, just had a problem with a severe low of 35 and dropping. it was awful and took me days before i felt like myself again. went to the docs today and she shared with methe new insulin of Levemir. a bit reluctant to change, but having those ups and downs are not so plesant. i am starting out with the same number units 11, and i hope i do not experience those highs that many have posted. that humalog is really problem, unless i measure every little thing. it is a real challenge. i would give anything for a new pancreas. it gets really old after 30 years. i am very disciplined and i suppose that is why i have had no complications. it makes u wonder, though. i was surprised to hear of many who commented on the lows coming from the Lantus. I thought i was having an absorption problem and will be getting the test for gastroparesis in two weeks. i feel so bad for young children and there parents having to cope with this day in and day out. kids should be able to be kids and not have such a structure lifestyle, especially when it comes to the pleasure of eating. wish me luck. thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 September 2008

I am so glad I have read this. I thought it was just me.
Since I have been on lantus, my bs have been harder & harder to control.highs and lows,weight gain with most of the weight in my stomach. I have even thought that my insulin would go bad, or that I would get
a bad bottle. I hope I have better luck with levemir.

Posted by Anonymous on 26 September 2008

I take Lantus before bed each night 120 units. During the day I count carbs for my injection of novelog. I'm wondering if I should make a change. I get leg cramps in my feet and toes and some swelling in my leg also my readings run high.

Posted by Anonymous on 5 October 2008

I'm 16, been diabetic for 2 years now, and I started with Lantus. I must say that I was not pleased with the injection site sensation, as it provided a lot of discomfort every morning before school. When my doctor switched me to Levamir, I found that the discomfort was not nearly as bad, but my blood sugars ran extrememly high. My A1C went up around 1.5 points, and overall, I haven't been able to control the BS well enough. Recently, though I ran out of levamir and had to use Lantus to give myself insulin. The same day my Blood sugars were back under control and I had 173 as my highest value. I will have to talk to my doctor about maybe switching back to Lantus because it offers better control, I think. If you eat right, you shouldn't get lows or highs.

Posted by Anonymous on 24 October 2008

I was diagnosed with diabetes in my early thirties. Thanks to the wisdom of my doctor, I was put on insulin right away, so I didn't have the multiple copays from starting and adding pill after pill to control my sugars. Instead I got my blood sugars undercontrol right away. However, no matter what I ate or how much I exercised, my morning blood sugar readings always changed with Lantus. My doctor then put me on Levemir once a day. My blood sugars were better controlled and I didn't have the frustrations of highs or lows in the mornings. Levemir worked great for me!

Posted by Anonymous on 6 November 2008

My doctor has me on 175 units of Levemir at night, 100 units in the morning. My am readings are usually 170-190 and at night my bg goes up to the high 300's several hours after my shot. I also use humalog during the day at meals, I count carbs, generally feel tired all the time and have evening munchies even knowing how high my sugar is. I try to use a low or no carb snack but this is no way to live, HgA1c is 8.5 and I'm about 30 lbs too fat...worried I'll get fatter with this mess and require even more insulin, also take Metformin and Actos. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted by Anonymous on 6 November 2008

Too many Lantus reps here. That's includes you CissiMae.

Posted by Anonymous on 4 December 2008

I have been on levemir for almost a month. I am on 30 units a day. My dr. has given me samples up to now, how much does it cost , I do nothave prescription insurance and I will probaly be up to 40 units he said a day.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 December 2008

I am a diabetes educator in a large hospital. These postings have been so helpful to me in learning how insulins react so differently in people! We are just now starting to use levemir so we will see what happens. We primarily use lantus or NPH depending on insurance. In these difficult times I am very concerned about the patients who have lost jobs/insurance and now cannot afford insulin or testing supplies. That is going to be the issue of 2009.

Posted by tec727 on 21 January 2009

I was taken off the insulin pump and put on lantus about 3 yrs ago. I gained over 50lbs and although the lantus was working, my legs and feet started to swell about a month ago. I have been complaining about the weight gain to my dr. for years but she didn't believe me. She said the swelling was due to eating salty foods, which I rarely eat. She put my on lasix and that didn't help. I ended up in the hospital for 5 days. When they increased my lantus to 25 units in the hospital, my legs and feet swelled immediately. She had to agree it wasn't salt because of the diabetic meals in the hospital. All kinds of tests have been run to check my heart, liver, kidneys, circulation, blot clots, infections,etc. All are normal. I have been off work for a month because it is hard for me to walk and I can't fit shoes. Today, we agreed to try me on Januvia and continue with metformin and stop the Lantus to see what happens. I know that the Lantus is causing these problems. I hope that this works. However, I will suggest that we try Levemir to see if that works. I am also on prednisone which I have been on for 19 yrs. I had not gained weight for 15 yrs. on it. That was truly a blessing. The weight gain didn't start until I started taking Lantus. Month after month I continue to gain what no matter what I eat 1200 cal. diet, exercise 4x per week, ect. Has anyone else experience this kind of weight gain on Lantus?

Posted by Anonymous on 7 February 2009

I switched from Lantus to Levemir to see if it would lessen night-time lows. I developed a large painful swelling at the injection site. This happened for 3 days, and then I said good-by to Levemir. The customer support line said they had not heard of such a reaction.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 February 2009

Just began taking 10 units Levemir last night after taking anywhere from 18 to 23 units Lantus at night for the past three months. I also take three to 10 units Humalog with meals (depending on carb load) after a failed experiment with Humulin 70/30.

Like some of you have said, I also have experienced burning at the injection site with Lantus. I am on a pretty restrictive diet - no more than 1400 calories/35g carbs and 25g sugar each day, but I was still gaining weight. I read up on Lantus, and weight gain was reported as being one of the side effects. I also had a lot of hypo episodes while taking Lantus and Humalog. (My last A1C was 5.8 - down from 14.7 when I initially diagnosed five months ago.)

Yesterday, I spoke with my doctor regarding changing from Lantus to Levemir due to my concerns about Lantus usage. I began taking Levemir last night, and this morning, I was pleasantly surprised to see my fasting bg was only 102.

When taking Lantus, several times I would wake up hypo in the night (anywhere from low 40's to mid 60's) and end up with a high fasting bg reading. As I already stated, I had several episodes of hypo during the day as well.

I am hoping that Levemir will solve these problems, and I will try to remember to report back in a week or so to let you all know how it's working for me. So far, I'm impressed. This is one of the lowest fasting bg readings I have had in over two months when taking Lantus.

Posted by Anonymous on 19 February 2009

I am 52, type 2 diabetic since age 35 ish. I recently switched from NPH to levemir and i love it. I did have to double what the doc initially recommended and am getting good control with 90 units once a day in the morning. I take 30 units of R before meals and 20 before bed. I too used to get heart pounding sweating panic wake ups at 3:30 AM using the NPH. Those blood sugar plunges 4 hours after injecting NPH were awful. When I was on NPH it was 40 units twice a day with 20 unit boosters at mealtimes of R. It does seem as if levemir is milder than NPH but my health and happiness are leveled up noticably.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 February 2009

My dr. has just suggested levemir, as I have been on lantus for just over one year and have gained 25-30 pounds. The weight came on quickly. My "problem area" has always been in my middle, and that is also my injection site. Every checkup, I have complained to my dr. about my weight gain, and he poo-poos me that the hormone in the insulin increases my appetite, and I am not making wise food choices. He just suggested that I try levmir to see if it will help with losing some of the weight that came on so quickly. I worked so hard to lose this weight, and it feels like I blinked my eyes, and it's here. Talk about depressing! The excess weight has now affected my ankle joint (arthritis) and it inhibits my ability to exercise as I should. My plan is to talk with my diabetes center and see if I need to talk with the dietician (again) to discuss portion control or something like that. I will post more once I start the levemir, but I am cautiously obtimistic. Lantus is the devil as far as I'm concerned!!!

Posted by Anonymous on 29 March 2009

Hi, I am glad I came here and read all the posts. They have been so helpful. I feel that my struggles are normal. I have had type 1 Diabetes for around 30 years. In the beginning I took NPH with Regular, and that worked for years. I started to skip the NPH, and took multiple shots of Regular. It worked, but was hard at times, making sure that I always had some insulin in my system. I wanted something for over night, because that was my battle for years. I tried Lantus and it seemed to work, but I noticed that I gained weight, and that I seemed to have a puffiness in my face. I quit taking it, then would take it again. I was on and off. Recently I went to a new endo and they suggested Levemir, and it seemed to work. I didn't have the puffiness in my face. The only thing, was I thought it didn't seem as strong as the Lantus. So just this week, I decided to switch back to Lantus, hoping that I could take the same amount with a better effect. It was a disaster. With the same bedtime amount as the Levemir, I woke with a 409 blood sugar, and the next morning woke with a 358 blood sugar. I was trying to improve from 180-200 morning reading with Levemir. So I am switching back to Levemir. I will just increase my night time shot. I too struggle with my weight, I have been doing weight watchers, and biked an hour a day, and I lose a pound a week if I am lucky. But let me have a few days of eating a little extra, and I gain 2-3 pounds back. I am not fond of these new insulins, they are expensive, and they only last 28 days. And why is that? The older insulins worked until the bottle was empty. I always worry, that maybe it will lose its effectiveness at around day 20. Just scary that the insulin is that fragile. I also got switched from Humilin R to Apidra. That has been going Ok. I like the fact that it works right away, but I loved that the Humilin R would linger a little longer. It is just frustrating because I have lost consistency with these new insulins, the window of error does seem small to me. I will have a day when all my readings are great, and do the same thing the next day, and they are no where near the same. In the past, I usually knew why I would get a high reading, but these days, it is different. I will keep trying, as we all should. I wanted to post, also, so that if someone is struggling and really trying hard, don't feel alone.

Posted by Anonymous on 11 April 2009

I have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for three years now and have been on lantus now for more than two years. I take 45 units at night and i often wake up hypo in the 30- 50 range my Dr. wants to push the dose up to 50 units once daily rather than the 45 i have been on. The 45 units once daily i have been taking around 10 pm on a daily basis and i wake up around four am several days in a week to find my bs's in the 30 - 50 range. I have to have my husband go get me something to bring my bs back to where my Dr. says he wants them to be in the 80 - 100 range I have put on about 30 pounds since I have sarted the lantus and i have a daycare in my home where I have my two children and three other children that I care for five days a week. If I wake up in the morning and my husband isalready gone for the day I have to try to get down the stairs without collapsing and make it to the kitchen to get stable. I am tired of not being able to control my bs levels and taking 45 units every day, my Dr. says that this levemir should help me out in the volume of the shot that I have to take but he wants me to take it twice a day and start using Novo-Rapid at meal time but I am very uneasy about switching and Iam unsure on what to expect but this site has alot of different stories from anonymous people who have very adverse reactions to this Levemir can anyone help me out with some concrete solid facts about this Levemir before I take decide to take the dive or not I dont care about getting alot of email so I will post mine if you have anything that can help me email me please i need to get stableized thank for those who will help me good luck to all with this foul disease

Posted by Anonymous on 16 April 2009

Hi My daughter was diagnosed as Type 1 19 years ago. She is 20 now and has had varying blood sugars. Very difficult for us all. SHe has been on lantus for 5 years or more but now she has changed to levemir as we think she is going hypo in the night. Levemir has been a bit of a disaster. She takes 12 units in the morning and 12 at night at has a blood sugar of around 15 all day and night. It seems by reading all of these comments that you need a lot more units. With lantus whe ws taking 20 units once at night time. It is a bit frightening and she is absolutely at her wits end. Trying so hard for 19 years and still not getting very far.
Good luck to all those who are struggling. At least you are not alone.

Posted by Anonymous on 17 April 2009

I'm a Type 2 who was started on 10 units of Levemir originally and got up to 42 units in something like 5 months. My A1C went from a 9.3 to 7.5 but my sugars were so variable. My doc switched me to twice daily Levemir, 22 in morning and 21 at night but my sugars got even worse... About two weeks ago my doc switched me to once daily Lantus and I haven't had nearly the variability in my sugars... I'm using less Lantus too, only 33 units... I much prefer lantus.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 April 2009

i have taken lantus 4 bot a yr but i have pretty good results it does sting at the the unjection site but still very tire my bs run high but now im unmployed no ins was told levemir will work lower price but dont i live by myself kinda scare if i do a reation i cant afford 100 dallors have to find a answer

Posted by Anonymous on 24 April 2009

I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 7 yrs ago and thus far have been able to control my blood sugars with metmorfin and glipzide until the last 4 months my bs got way out of control,a1c at 12.8 my dr. put me on actos (cost $250 a month )the drug did bring my bs down but had a lot of side effects.they took me of the drug and put me on levemir pens at 15ml once a day , no weight gain no side effects my fast reading is now down to 110 (cost about the same as actos at this dosage depends on where you buy). I noticed my eye sight is getting better and i actually lost weight even though i wasn,t overweight to begin with, to me this has been a life saver so far.

Posted by Anonymous on 27 April 2009

Dear Friends
I am a health care professional from India and i think levemir is far superior insulin as compared to lantus.There is hardly any variability very few hypos with levemir. It does improve the quality of life of patients. Lantus is just overhyped

Posted by dahunter on 5 May 2009

I've been using Levemir 2 months, recommended because with tablets I would go hypoglycemic everytime I took them. I do a small dose once a day, 9 units, and it works perfect. Due to cancer I had my stomach removed and this was the perfect fit for insulin suppliment and provides a stable all day treatment.

Posted by Anonymous on 11 May 2009

why do i itch after taking solostar and have for over2years

Posted by Anonymous on 13 May 2009

Both Levemir and Lantus offer patients who have been laid off free insulin. Speak with a diabetes educator or advanced Diabetes nurse to get more information (or call an endocrine department of a large hospital or clinic). To the woman who runs a daycare...your doctor should not be pushing your Lantus up since you're having nite time lows. It's common to check the Lantus (or Levemir) dosing with a 3am blood sugar. If it's too low, the dose gets cut. SO, you may need to cut the Lantus but add rapid acting insulin when you need it. See a diabetes nurse specialist or endocrinologist, not a family doctor, to make insulin adjustments.

Posted by Anonymous on 14 May 2009

Lantus usage causes cancer. Recently two of my friends who were using lantus were diagnosed for liver cancer and the cause for the cancer was finally arrived at the use of Lantus. Lantus has high mitigenecity and this characteristic is responsible for causing cancer.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 May 2009

I've had Type 1 for 20 years. I just recently switched from Lantus to Levemir. I've been on it for a week, and I'm afraid I'll severely damage my body or go into DKA if I continue on Levemir. I've never had a problem switching insulin before, in fact I've always done really well adjusting to changes. I'm switching back to Lantus as soon as I can get my Dr. on the phone. For me anyway, Lantus + Apidra is the way to go.

Posted by Anonymous on 28 May 2009

It has shown not to be a unit for unit conversion with Lantus versus Levemir. In the Levemir study it took more insulin and twice daily dosing to get similar control for a majority of patients. This will be something to consider when switching to Levemir and backing off of the dose if going to Lantus from Levemir. Then just adjust ths dose according to your morning sugars.

Posted by Anonymous on 3 June 2009

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 25 years now and have had it almost my whole life. I have been using lantus for almost 3 years. I used it once a day for a while but my bs where different through out the day.From low to high to low. I now use it 2 a day. I have never noticed a increase in weight but I have always been pretty little in size. I take 15 units in the a.m. and 25 in p.m. That seem to keep my bs stable through out the whole day.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

I have known many people who were/are diabetics. Most of your type II seem to be adults and a large number of those overweight. While Type I was and still is mainly a juvenile disease there are many adults who have been diagnosed as Type I who had no sign of the disease prior to the onset.

I am a Type I adult who was diagnosed roughly 9 years ago as a Type II at 53 years old but was upgraded to Type I a year later. My onset was from a spot on the pancreas which rapidly developed into the removal of my pancrease.

Insulin is a drug that responds to different people differently. I take 64 units of Lantus every night and 12 units of Novolog every meal. My BS averages almost 100 and it can vary between 60 to 120 depending on the time of day I poke my finger.

Nobody can reliably say that Levemir is better than Lantus or the other way around. It is up to the person who needs to take the med to monitor their food intake and sugar levels on a constant basis.

Posted by Anonymous on 29 June 2009

I recently switched from Lantus to Levemir per doc's orders and found the following: 1- needed more insulin and 2x dosing, 2- $ me twice as much, 3- BS went up to 250 fg all while on Levemir. While on Lantus my fg was at 110, my postmeal #'s where increasing so back to Lantus for me and maybe a shot of rapid.

Posted by Anonymous on 29 June 2009

I work in the Pharma industry so I can give you some insight behind the marketing strategies of Sanofi Aventis (Lantus) and Novo Nordisk (Levemir). Sanofi Aventis has two so-called "modern insulins" (Apidra and Lantus), while Novo has three (Novolog in the US or Novorapid in the rest of the world, Novomix and Levemir). Novolog and Novomix have 80% market share in their respective segments (fast-acting & pre-mix), while Lantus has 80% in basal insulin. (Eli Lilly is unimportant outside the US) The normal combinations of insulins, at least at the early stages of diabetes, for endocrinologists is to give either only pre-mix or 1 basal and 1 fast acting. Sanofi Aventis prefers the second option, while Novo Nordisk prefers the first one for obvious reasons (Sanofi does not have a pre-mix insulin). Therefore, if the doctor prefers a pre-mix treatment, then Novo Nordisk has a monopoly and it is happy. If the doctor prefers a combination (basal and fast acting), then the market is usually split : 1 Novolog + 1 Lantus. Sanofi cannot do much regarding fast-acting insulins, as Novolog is an established product and considered much more effective than Apidra. Then, it puts all its effort on Lantus, which is already 5 years in the market. On the other hand, Levemir was launched two years ago. Actually, Novo Nordisk puts a lot of effort for Levemir too (this year it has double weight for Levemir on the BSC of GM's than it had last year), but in any case, Novo can only win from Levemir (it cannot lose, as it is a new market for her). Its main strategy is not to lose pre-mix to basal, rather than win Basal segment through Levemir. Their main aim with Levemir is to get some market share, so that it will be easier for their customers to switch from Levemir to SIBA (its new product which will be once every 3 days!) in a few years.
I do not know whether diabetics prefer Lantus or Levemir, but I can assure you that there are good products in the pipeline of the big pharma companies, so if you are quite fortunate to be in good health in a few years time, you will be able to have better diabetes treatment and possibly in a decade or so, forget about injections and just take an insulin pill (this is the main bet for pharma companies).

Posted by Anonymous on 29 June 2009

Some of you are so intellectually dishonest. You sound like a couple of Lantus Representatives dishonestly repeating the same garbage you've been telling doctors about Levemir for some time now. You guys know that there are 22 studies showing everything from Levemir as equivalent to Lantus in blood sugar reduction, safer than Lantus and NPH and Less weight gain. Why was Sanofi trying to get a twice-a-day dosing indication recently and why do you guys dishonestly only present snipets of studies out of context to try to hang on to your market share??? A market share that is slipping by the month because physicians are starting to switch to or newstart patients on Levemir because they see Levemir for the next generation insulin it is. It is truly a next generation insulin.

Posted by Anonymous on 29 June 2009

I'm a type II diabetic for about 16 years. About a year and a half ago I started using Lantus once a day (75 mg at breakfast) in combination with Humalog (@1 unit per 8-10 carbs). It worked like a charm; my last three averages were 7, 6.8 and 6.7). BUT I just came across a report (Wikipedia 6/26/09) by the University of Bristol about several studies (a German one in particular) that shows a marked link in cancer with the use of Lantus. Needless to say it scared the heck out of me. I asked my doctor to switch me to another med; he recommended Levemir at same dosage. But I was wondering if NPH is safer even though is intermediate-acting as opposed to long-acting. Someone please shed some light.

Posted by Anonymous on 29 June 2009

I was diagnosed type II in 2007 and then type one last July. I was originally put on Lantus 1 time per day increasing every three days until I got the desired result. I was up to 60 units per day and I was not only getting the stinging reaction but a blister at the injection site that would last almost until the time of my next injection. My diabetes educator called the makers of Lantus and they explained that I was having an allergic reaction to the Lantus, so they switched me to Levemir. I am still trying to perfect the amount needed so far 25 units 2 times per day but no blistering and no stinging. I also take Novolog with each meal usually 10 units per meal. I have gained 30 lbs in less then a year while taking the insulins ?? I'm not sure if I eat more because I think the insulin will help me more than pills or if it is just the insulin. **** I was informed that there was a new report confirming that Lantus causes Cancer ***** If I were everyone here I would double check the info. Cancer is not something to be taken lightly. Weight gain as a side effect is one thing Cancer is another.

Good Luck to everyone.
Someday maybe we will all get to see a cure.

Posted by Anonymous on 30 June 2009

the job of a basal insulin like lantus or levemir is to control your am fasting sugars- if you go to bed at 300 you should wake up at 300- you dont want to be dropping while you sleep. if you have high blood sugars you need to be more agressively treating your meal time blod sugars with a rapid acting.. lantus and levemir are great insulins if you dont eat. if you compare head to head, Levemir is a much better product than Lantus. It's neutral ph vs acidic, show less wieht gain and less hypo and the true definition (acroding to the ADA and the FDA) is an insulin which lasts 17 hrs...and has athe lowest affininty to the IGF-1 receptor (the very opposite for lantus which has a very high affininty to that receptor and the reason for the recent cancer scare). I have been living with a type one child for 6 years .. get educated.. it helps..

Posted by Anonymous on 30 June 2009

You may want to check the news tonight, folks...this may be another "Avandia" situation...They (Diabetologia) just released two large patient population studies and it doesn't look good for Lantus related to increased cancer malignacies...

Posted by Anonymous on 2 July 2009

My daughter has been a type one diabetic since the age of 9 - she is now 16 and has been taking lantus and humalog since diagnosis. She has struggled with high BG and high a1c for the past two years and has also gained about 35 pounds over the past year which has really depressed her. We just switched her to Levemir on 6/29 after having a terrible day of high blood sugars. The change has been dramatic - she has not had one BG above 200 and we are actually now cutting back on the initial dose of 25 units at night and 15 units in the AM because of a couple of 70's in the mornings. So Far So Good - hope this continues

Posted by Anonymous on 15 July 2009

The FDA is investigating the cancer risk associated with Lantus as we speak. I've been on basal therapy for 5 years now. I started out on Lantus, because that was the best option at the time. I'm on Levemir now and it's been about 9 months After a week of adjustment I'm doing fine. My bs was 128 this morning. Here is a brief discription regarding this association.
The possible relationship between Lantus and cancer has nothing to do with high blood sugar levels. The main area of concern every health care provider should be made aware of is the unique IGF characteristics Lantus has that no other insulin on the market has. IGF or Insulin Growth Factor (for our purpose in this discussion describing insulins) is a term used to describe the affinity or degree of attraction an insulin molecule demonstrates in clinical testing to bind not to the Insulin Receptor Site on any given cell (allowing cellular uptake of glucose), but rather to bind onto the IGF-1 receptor site. This insulin to IGF-1 receptor binding promotes "growth" not glucose uptake. Now every insulin has a different IGF characteristic. Human insulin is considered the gold standard in IGF properties which is about 100. Lantus' IGF properties are more than 6 times this (641). With an insulin molecule that is more attracted to the IGF receptor you will get more cellular growth. Potentialy promoting the growth of cancer cells. However, we have insulins that lower blood glucose just as good and better than Lantus available. NPH, not liked too much anymore because it's dosed twice daily has a low IGF. Levemir, a once-daily basal, having less weight gain associated with it's use, has the lowest IGF at around 16. All we can do is wait and see if the FDA slaps a black box warning on Lantus or not. Until then, keep using your insulin, call your doctor if you want to be switched to Levemir or NPH.
It's your docs decision to switch you or keep you on Lantus. That is the nature of the trusting relationship you should have with your doctor. If you don't like his decision, look for an endocrinologist in your area and wait 3 months to get an appointment. I hate to say... wait a minute, what is this lump in my breast... DAMN YOU LANTUS!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous on 15 September 2009

I am going to tell you something. My former wife scared me and my son 11 years old about the Lantus cancer scare, which in it's self is inconclusive. This Levemir seems to be the answer. It was also told to me by John Waslsh and I can't thank him enough.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 September 2009

I have just switched to Levemir this month. I was taking the same amount as Lantus once a day. After about a week after changing, I started experiencing higher bs readings. I now take 2 shots a day 2:1 ratio morning/evening and my bs has gone back to regular readings.

Posted by Anonymous on 9 November 2009

Glargine Syndrome
There was a comment earlier on this forum that side-effects or reactions to Lantus are rare. Rare or not, I have come into contact with many people suffering the same side-effects as I did while on Lantus.
These include;
Extreme tiredness, sometimes sudden in onset
Anxiety
Feeling disassociated with the world
Cognitive disfunction & memory problems
Nausea and digestive problems
Joint & muscle pain
Swelling
Sleep disturbances
General malaise
Erratic & inconsistent BG control
These symptoms are often confued with ME or Fibromyalgia.
Not everyone taking Lantus/Glargine suffers these debilitating side effects- but for the ones who do, it can ruin their lives.

Posted by Anonymous on 6 February 2010

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 11 yrs and I suffered from horrible highs and lows on reg and NPH insulins- my dr had told me the wrong peak times. I was miserable and just about stopped trying to get stable BGs, I went on lantus and humalog and got my a1c's down to 5.9. Then I switched to novalog and the pump-it has changed my life, no more low BG seizures in the middle of the night. My a1c has been 5.7 and I finally feel normal. The continuous glucose monitoring system by minimed is fabulous.

Posted by Anonymous on 23 February 2010

Who can you trust in this world, the Doctors or the Drug makers? I am 31 years old and have been a Type 1 diabetic since I was 13 years old. I have been a model patient for years, A1C's consistently under 6, eat properly and excerises 3-4 times a week. I switched to Lantus from NPH about a year ago now, no need to since I never had a problem. There has defintely been a learning curve on the "basel-bolis" regiment but I am starting to get it back. I was so dialed into my previous regiment that I've had to re-learn myself on Lantus. I have been curious about the Levemir but it looks like my curiosity is done, no way do I want to take additional doses or even more insulin because Levemir doesnt last as long or is as strong. Stick to your Lantus, learn your body, communicate with your doctor and keep good records. If your doctor still can't help you, find a new one. Unfortuntely once you have diabetes you have to adjust your lifestyle, luckily I got it so young (and a very supporting family) I didn't develop the poor living habits that most Type 2 diabetics cant't get over.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 November 2010

I was recently changed by my HMO from Lantus to Levemir. After a few days at the same dose, my readings were up about 15%. I spoke with my doctor, and she told me to increase by 5 units over a couple of days. My reading are now back where they were with Lantus. No side effects of any kind.

Posted by Anonymous on 29 December 2010

I have used both Levemir & Lantus, they both keep my over night blood glucose inline much better than NPH, however there is a draw back though. Both lantus & levemir makes me feel sick. so, it is NPH for over night glucose control for me. NPH is a more natural Insulin.

Posted by Anonymous on 31 December 2010

I have had type 2 diabetes for 5 years. My blood sugar started going into the 200's this summer, so my doctor put me on Levemir. I started at 10 unitspd but my blood sugar keeps going up! My doc says to increase so I am doing 10 units 2xpd as blood sugar seems to be higher if I take 20 all at once. She tells me to keep increasing the dosage until we find the right dose but my blood sugar seems to be going higher since I started taking this - 300's and even 400's. Fasting sugar was never this high! I am in my 50's ans moderately overweight - is the rising blood sugar coincidence or are there other people who experience a rise when taking levemir?

Posted by Anonymous on 18 January 2011

I am the mother of a 16 year old boy that has been using lantus since May 2010. We still have problems finding the rigth basal dose, he has been trying to take the insulin at different times during the day, from early morning to late evening. The last 3 hours before he takes a new dose, it seems like there is nothing left, and he get high bs. During the night he is stabile until 3-4 o clock and then it start to rise. From like 7 at 4 o clock in the morning to 24 at 7.30 in the morning (european measurment)Then he feels terrible that day, and are not able to go to school. If we rise the dose with one measurment, he gets low from 01-02 o clock at nigth and have to eat. The bs still rises early in the morning. Last nigth at 22 o clock he was 9,6 and have his 2 pices of bread and a banana. Took his humalog, at 00 he was 5 and had a another pice of bread, but no insulin, then he at 04 was 4 and needed a 1/2 glas of juice and he woke up with 14,7!
Are there any out there that has any advises??
best rgds a mother that no longer knows what to do.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 March 2011

This is an interesting thread. I am a Type II diabetic, diagnosed about 11 yrs ago. Started on metformin only but developed terrible nausea from it about 5 years ago, so switched to Januvia. No side effects. Doctor added Diamicron and now, due to bad control, I'm on Levemir (basal). Started at 8 units, am now on 32 with very tight control of my diabetes nurse and physician. They're very cautious and non-aggressive, which I like.

Unlike others here, I have experienced NO side effects or pain or swelling from the injections; in fact, they're so pain free in comparison to finger pricks that it's almost a pleasure!

My bg readings aren't yet at the level that I'd like, they're still a little too variable, but partially that's my fault; I don't always eat the way I should. Also I have a sedentary (computer) job so the only exercise I get is walking at lunchtime or on weekends. If I eat well and do the walks, I find my bgs are very good with the Levemir.

Since I'm in Canada, I don't know what the equivalent values are (we use mmol/L) but my A1C has dropped from 9.9 to about 7.3 since starting on insulin. My eye sight is better, I have more energy and all in all am very happy to be on this regimen.

Posted by Anonymous on 3 April 2011

I am now 21 years old and have been on Lantus and Novo Rapid since I was 16. Since switching to Lantus, hypos have been more frequent and severe. There are also days when the opposite is true. For weeks it may be as though I have it "sorted" but then I will get a few days of very low blood sugars that cannot be explained by anything else other than the Lantus. I'm looking forward to getting on Levemir as soon as possible as it is supposed to provide more stable basal coverage. You can't live a good life having to worry about low blood sugar all the time. I don't know how lantus works for other people but its not for me.

Posted by Anonymous on 19 April 2011

how confirmed is the fact that lantus may cause cancer?? I recently was switched to levemir and cannot get my blood sugars under control. I've heard of 25/75 split for a.m. and p.m. I will try that next.

Posted by Anonymous on 28 June 2011

The information provided has been helpful. I am a type II since 1985. Over the years I have taken oral medication and advanced to Byetta and Levemir. I also take metformin twice a day. Has anyone taken these drugs jointly. I need to make a change since my results with proper diet and exercise is not working. I have read some blood pressure and heart medications taken with diabetic pills and insulin can make your blood sugars go up and down inconsistently. Has anyone been advised of this. I take both the past 12 years with up and down results.

Posted by Anonymous on 5 July 2011

I've been Type 1 for 12 years now, and when I was changed to injecting 4 times a day, I began with Levimir, but this began to give me VERY sore red lumpy patches in both legs and arms so they changed me to Lantus, which I am on a lower dose than I was on with Levimir. Im my opinion, Lantus is the one for me, but thats my decision!

Posted by Anonymous on 20 July 2011

I am an Endo and I want to clear the air about these two drugs. I use both of them regularly and I can tell you that I feel that in my practice, Lantus is far superior. The problem is, a lot of Primary Docs are not educated enough in Diabetes. If your fastings are running above 120 and you are on Lantus, you are either taking too small of a dose or your beta cells have burnt out. That means that you need to be on a Basal Bolus approach.

Just remember, everyone has a different dose. I have some people on 200 units once a day (splitting the dose of Lantus does not matter, I use it mainly once a day). Levemir can be dosed twice a day but it has to be dosed so high that it can cause Major drops in BG around 3 am. It will only last 24 hours if you are taking it at extremely high doses (supported by its Package Insert).

When it comes to weight gain, the Dr. that told you that Levemir causes less weight gain is full of it. He is obviously doing lunch every week with the Levemir rep. I refuse to see reps anymore and rely only on studies by non biased groups and also studies that I participate in as well.

I hope that answers some of your questions. You really need to see a good Endo to get the answers you need. If you dont know if they are bought by a rep or not, ask to look at their lunch book and see what company is in there all the time. Too many Dr.'s are listening to their stomachs and not their common sense of practical, evidence based Medicine.

Also, as far as Lantus and cancer, even the FDA (who are very strict about yanking a drug off the market, even if it just causes a headache) released a statement a year ago saying that the trials were bogus that showed that. It turned out that Novo Nordisk was the big wallet behind that rumor. It bothers me to know that the number one insulin in the world can be destroyed just because the competing company tried to take 6 different studies done on rats and pulled different data from each one to try and draw a conclusion. Seriously people....find a better Dr. if they are telling you these false things. They need to have their license revoked.

sincerely,
A Very Concerned Endo

Posted by Anonymous on 21 December 2011

To Anonymous poster on 24 July 2008 (re: forehead rash):

About a week after I started Lantus, I developed an itchy rash on my forehead. No pain, itch, or discomfort at injection sites, just the itchy, red rash on my forehead, along with small bumps on my forehead that slightly resembled acne. Skin on forehead and temples also became drier and became somewhat scaley/flakey after I started Lantus.

My internist suggested I switch to Levemir. Did that, but rash still persisted, although slightly less severe after switching to Levemir. Internist prescribed a topical cream (Triamcinolone Acetonide), which helps a bit, but the rash is still there.

My dermitologist is skeptical that the insulin is causing the rash on my forehead, saying that such allergic reactions are rarely localized (unless they happen at the injection site). A widespread rash could be caused by the insulin, he said, but very unlikely that insulin could cause a localized rash so far away from injection site. Dermitologist suggested some other cause, such as change in shampoo, soap, or something like that. However, nothing like that had changed just prior to rash appearing. The only change was the Lantus/Levemir.

Still not sure if the rash is being caused by Lantus/Levemir, but my control over my diabetes has improved remarkably after using these insulins, so I don't want to give them up. So far, I'm just living with the rash and applying the topical treatment as needed.

Not happy about this side effect, but living with it anyway.

Posted by Anonymous on 26 December 2011

Has anyone had higher blood pressure with levimir? Since beginning it 2 and a half weeks ago, my bp and basal body temp have been steadily climbing erach day and sugars have been erratic (also take 10 mg glyburide am/pm and 5 mg onglyza am - these have not controlled bs- am on strict diet - no white carbs, veggies, protein, no concentrated sugars) became very sick from high bp - was in bed 2 days - on call doc said get off levimir - in two daays bp normalized but sugrs are way too high with same diet. Nurse practitioner says insulin can't affect bp. Please let me know if you've had such a reaction. Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on 6 January 2012

I just started taking Lantus in October and I have a terrible rash reaction! This started from the first injection. I finally covinced doctors in the Emergency room tha I was having a allergic reaction. I was having chest pain and very hard to breathe. After a staying a night in the hospital and refusing to take anymore Lantus they switched me to Levemir. After months of rashing out chest pain and problems breathing and very high Blood sugars Im feeling better after only 1 week of Levemir. This was a very trying time. By the way if anyone else has had a breaking out could you give me some idea how to clear this up?

Posted by Anonymous on 18 February 2012

I have never had any luck with Lantus. I take it at night before I go to sleep. I took my sugar reading 2 hours after dinner last night and it was 133. I took 26 units of Lantus and it was 150 this morning.

Posted by Anonymous on 12 March 2012

My prefered insulin was ultra Lente along with Humalog or Novolog AND you could mix the 2 instead of taking 5 shots a day as I was with Levimir. I now use Lantus once a day in the morning and though I use less than I did of Levimir I often crash at night. Lantus seems to peak 18 hours later. Ultras Lente worked well but Eli Lilly decided to stop making it. It also did not need a prescription as the others do. 70/30 mix of Humalog does not allow for meal flexibility, more humalog for more carbs you, get more NPH

Posted by Anonymous on 3 May 2012

I was on lantus for about a year. then i had a terrible allergic reaction to it. so I was put back on NPH. My Dr.just put me on levemir because of out of control sugars. should I worry about another allergy. Ive been taking insulin for 35 yrs. I never had to worry about NPH and allergies.

Posted by Anonymous on 6 May 2012

I am type 2 (initially diet and exercise, now on Novolog) and started on Lantus a few years ago to help with high morning sugars. I wish I never had. Last year my doctor recommended going up to 16 units from 8, I did. It did not help my sugars at all. I developed neuropathy in my legs and horrible debilitating pain in my shoulder blades. I gained 20 pounds. Luckily I read another diabetic forum where multiple people expressed the same issues, it was the first time I realized the problem of hand, arm and shoulder pain could be coming from the Lantus, after 6 months of pain I dropped the dose back down, and immediately no horrifying shoulder blade pain or hand or arm pain. I am hoping to try Levemir. The control under Lantus was never very good, very erratic, and vials very unpredictable from one to the next. If all this weren't enough I have a type 1 child who is experiencing high anxiety and sleep anxiety with it. I started giving the Lantus injection after he falls asleep and the bedtime anxiety is greatly reduced ( the anxiety is not from injecting, we have no issues with multiple Novolog shots a day). We have worked to reduce the dose as well as it had been way too high in relation to Novolog needs, bad endo. I think this stuff is absolutely horrible for many people and feel sure that time will reveal it. Wish the old insulins were not removed from market so we would have more options. Trying to get the strength up to change and try Levemir for myself, and either go to pump when we can for our child, or try Levemir in the meantime. Of course it is daunting in case either of us were to have problems with Levemir. Endo scared us off initially waving the less control card. I now feel we have no other choice but to try it. If anyone has similar experience with young child on Lantus, or words of encouragement about trying Levemir, please post.

Posted by Anonymous on 10 September 2012

I was diagnosed Type I at 17, I'm now 28. I have never been told to take Levemir twice daily, but have been on it for almost a full year now.
When on Lantus (for about 7ish years), I sometimes had nighttime lows. My company's benefits pushed Lantus to 3rd tier formulary, so I switched to Levemir.

I went from 24 units of Lantus with occasional night lows and usually good sugars in the morning, to now 40 units of Levemir and waking up close 200 almost every morning.

I tried to taking Levemir in the morning, that didn't help. At lunch, no good. Then just settled in at night. I take almost two times the amount of long acting than I used to. I have gained about 10 pounds. My A1C was never above (after I got it under control 1 year in to being Type I) 7.1 before swtiching, and not it is every time it is taken.

I have decided to pay two time more in copays to take Lantus.

That is my story, I'm not a rep, and I hope people find success over their glucose levels in any way possible, taking whatever drugs necessary.

Posted by Anonymous on 10 September 2012

I just had to switch from Lantus to Levemir because of availability, used 22 units of Lantus every morning at 9am, with good control results ...Now with the Levemir I use 30 units with poor results and don't know best time to use it ? I usually eat at 9am, 12:30 and 7:30pm ... I live in Costa Rica and have no medical team to consult ! jm

Posted by Anonymous on 11 September 2012

My thought is that lantis will not work because temp. Not controlled and its shelf life gets old before its time. No One Cares! I hope Levemir works better! My Heart Bleeds For All Of You We Are Just Test Rats For Them As I Look At It. 55 years ago my friend had 2 kids with type 1 and all these years still no cure, what is that?

Posted by Anonymous on 25 September 2012

I am a type 2 that was prescribed insulin to replace glyburide and metformin. I was having reasonable results with oral meds (A1c of 7) and I now take 10-12 units of Novalog with each meal and 30 units of Lantus at night. The control has improved slightly (A1c of 6.8) but the weight gain is unrelenting. I have infrequent hypoglycemic reactions at night, they only occur if I don't moderate the Novalog and Lantus based on calorie intake. I have had glucose fall to a low of 37 at night, but I am usually awake in the 50's. I am a patient of the VA hospital and they are switching Lantus users to Levemir. After reading these posts I'm wondering if I will have to split my 30 unit dose of Lantus once a day into two 15 unit doses of Levemir. I cannot stand to gain any more weight.

Posted by Anonymous on 9 November 2012

hi I just found out that my insurance company has droped lantis but will pay for levemir it was a teir 4 so I was paying 100$ for lantis the other is 45$ I just went threw cancer it scares me to change anything. chemo pushes your bs way up just starting to feel better now a med change. so I guess I will have to try the levemir because I can not pay the 300 plus that lantis is. not with my oncome lost house do to cancer bills. I hope it works

Posted by Anonymous on 18 November 2012

You cannot control your diabetes with medicine alone!! That is the hard truth.

You must control what you eat. Keep your caloric intake where the doctor tells you to, exercise daily, lose about fifteen percent of your body weight if you are obese, and you will quickly find that your pancreas will kick back in and control your blood sugar in the normal way. Diabetes type 2 is MOSTLY about People being way to heavy!

Need I say more?

Posted by Anonymous on 27 November 2012

I just recently started taking levemir and have noticed my blood sugars vastly improving. I had been going extremely low (like below 30) daily taking HumulinN and not giving myself much insulin. Since taking the levemir my numbers have become more regulated. I have also noticed that there are less side effects. I became very sick taking the lantus and also had a pretty noticeable weight gain. Taking the HumulinN i had the lows and also a slight weight gain. So far, Levemir has been amazing

Posted by Anonymous on 7 December 2012

I was diagnosed this January, went to ER because of a chest and head cold that I couldnt shake. Found out I had a 580 blood sugar. I was crushed to find out I had diabetes. Only systems I experienced were extreme thirst 3 days before I went into the ER. I thought it was the medication I was taking for my head/chest cold. I might add I'm 64 and was overweight about 20 pounds. Well, I started on 30 units of insulin in the hospital, then after 2 days down to 15 as I left the hospital. I was on Humulin 70/30 pen as of 2 weeks ago. I was on 5 units after breakfast and 5 units after dinner. I dropped 25 pounds and I changed eating habits and exercise regularly. Im gonna beat this thing.......I promise... As of the last 4 days NO insulin and sugar levels are great. Dont give up hope ,you can beat this . eat right get up off your butt and run, walk,ride a bike get on a threadmill DO SOMETHING!......change your lifestyle. It will pay off in the end!
God bless and good luck!

Posted by Anonymous on 6 February 2013

Been on Lantus over 20 years. This year my insurance co-payment for Lantus jumped to $120.......... Levemir co-payment $0 ......Gonna' give it a try!

Posted by Anonymous on 13 July 2013

I am new to diabetes. I was diagnosed with type two about a year ago. I resisted treatment because I did not want to believe I am diabetic. I finally began treatment using metformin. Cold not tolerate that because it interfered with my thyroid meds. Tried glypizide but am allergic to sulfa. Tried victoza but was allergic to that...went to insulin...I.e. levemir....allergic reaction I.e. difficulty breathing, itching, insomnia... quit that and just took my first dose of lantus. I sure hope I can take this stuff and I hope it works.

My diabetes was brought on by weight gain and no exercise. Hope to get my weight under control and stop using meds altogether.

Luck to everyone here with your battle.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 July 2013

I have been type 1 since 1969 with no major problems. Last week I was switched from lantus to levemir. My BS went up to high 400s and even over 500. I went from taking a total of 40-60 units apidra a day to over 150. After 1 week of constant highs I switched back to Lantus and am doing much better.

Posted by Anonymous on 7 June 2014

My insurance company forced me to change from Lantus to Levemer. Was able to adjust dosage to work well for me. However, I found the mechanics of the Levemir FlexPen to be sorely lacking compared to the Lantus SolarStar. After having two FlexPens lock up and be unusable with still over 100 units in pen, and another lock up when about 1/5 full, I had my doctor contact the insurance company and clearly insist on returning me to Lantus. Never once had any problems with Lantus.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 June 2014

Appreciation is the key to doing more that is why I have took some time out to thank some one who cured me of my 4 years weak erection problem. It became a major problem to me as it was affecting my marital life and I was no longer comfortable so I decided to look for a solution and I came across a post of Dr Alaska and how he has been helping people of the same problem I contacted him and told him all I have been facing in my life. He told me how to get his product and how to take it after every thing I find out that all was now okay with me and that my weak erection problem was gone that is why I have come out today to say thank you to him and for any weak erection problem either from man or woman.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 July 2014

I have been on lantus for three months now , it's the only insulin I've been on. Taking 30 ml for breakfast and 35 ml at dinner . That's where I'm at for units at this time . I go to one of the best Doctors at Joslin Clinic in Boston . Living with Diabetes is a long and hard fight you need to win. The affects of Diabetes are the hardest on our body's , it affects so much . Trust your Doctors . Eat right , excersize !!!!! What ever you can do , walk dance , swim . Been diabetic since 1997 , insulin is keeping me alive . Like all of us ,it's better to feel a sting or a rash , from any insulin then death..

Posted by Anonymous on 21 July 2014

I switched from lantus to levemir and my eye started to bleed internally for 30 days so I switched back to lantus and within 1 day the bleeding stopped . I will never use levemir again. I've been diabetic for over 37 years.

Posted by Anonymous on 3 September 2014

I have had diabetes since 1998. I am now 62. I have been on the various meds and my meds of the past 2 years were Novolog, 3:1 and Lantus 10 u bid. Due to financial constraints I had to switch from Lantus to Levemir. My blood sugars shot up to days of over 500. I knew the novolog was working. So I decided to give the levemir some adjustments( even though my dr said they were the same and to take it the same as lantus). After several nights of adjusting the levemir I have found that I have to take at least 5 extra units in the am and then 5 in the pm. I have also noticed that the times you take your levemir may also be a factor. I am now experimenting with dosages and times. I will keep you posted. I believe this levemir will work there are factors that have to be contended with. Will keep you all posted as this is a serious issue for all of us.

Posted by Anonymous on 19 September 2014

I do not see why a Prison Inmate should not be allowed to donate. I am assuming that they are drug tested prior to being euthanized. I myself am not on street drugs but I am on Prescription Medicine, I myself have given much thought to being a Donor. I am sure that prior to donating they would check to see what organs' are of value. There is a list longer than my arms' length looking for donors' I say "YES" allow an Inmate to Donate. We need as many people as possible to assist those that need a donor. If I myself needed a donor and they had that body part that I needed would I care who it came from? NO!! Its' a fact of living/dying. Everyone who puts' their name down as a Donor is checked, re-checked and re-checked. Its' time for many people who hate the idea of being a Donor because they are living right now. However, if thought is given these people do not even know that their body parts are being donated after death. It would I feel give so many more people that chance to live, and really why not!!

Posted by Anonymous on 21 September 2014

Have been using levemir for over a month and haven't had any side effects but bs always varies usually stays above 200 I am on 25u twice a day. Have mediCal and won't pay for any more levemir because it's expensive instead will approve lantus. I am afraid of the change but hope the comments read by the endo earlier that lantus is superior will guide be to making the switch. Would like more information from male who's entry on June/2014 about erectile dysfunction who and how can I get in touch with this Dr Alaska? Have same problem was told diabetes major cause. Thank you all and praying that soon some Einstein will find us a cure. God bless!

Posted by Anonymous on 24 September 2014

My husband has had diabetes for 7 years and suffered erectile dysfunction. It has caused great strain on our intimate relationship because of his weak erection problems. He is proud and this is extremely humiliating for us both. Please give us more information on this Dr. Alaska so that we too may have a chance at help with this problem.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 September 2014

i am concerned for my daughter age 18 yrs type 1 she was on levemir for 4 yrs n was expierencing high sugars in the morning has been advised to take lantus. lantas dose is controlling her sugar no doubt but she is getting rashes at the site of injection a lumpy development on the site n red spots at the pricks she has gained weight as well after switching over to lantas all confused should we switch back to levemir plz advice

Comment: