Cinnamon Again: What's It Do For Type 2s?

| Nov 15, 2007

In a recent three-month study, 43 non-insulin-dependent people with type 2 diabetes were given either a daily dose of 1000 milligrams of cinnamon or a placebo.

At the end of the study, there was not a single difference between the two groups with regard to average blood sugars, insulin levels, or cholesterol.

In contrast, a previous study found that a daily cinnamon hit caused a dip in blood sugar and cholesterol in people with type 2. None of that first group was taking diabetes medicines, however, unlike the current group, most of whom were on diabetes medications.

Source: Medline Plus, Diabetes Care, September 2007

Categories: Blood Sugar, Diabetes, Diabetes, Insulin, Nutrition Research, Type 2 Issues, Vitamins

Comments

Posted by Hortonjf on 15 November 2007

I noticed a big difference when I ran out of my of capsules of cinnamon and did not replace for a month. Maybe a coninsedecne but I am not going to take a changce.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 November 2007

If I understand the article, the implication is if you are already on debetes medication, cinnamon has no effect. If you are not on medication, cinnamon has a potentially positive effect in lowering blood sugar

Posted by Anonymous on 15 November 2007

how much is 1000 miligrams if using ground cinnamon?

Posted by Florian on 16 November 2007

I like cinnamon as a seasoning and I like to sprinkle it on my breakfast cereal and a little in my morning coffee. I also sprinkle a little on sliced apples and pears. Does it have any effect on my blood sugar? Who cares, it tastes good and it smells good.
Florian (Type 1, dx 1967)

Posted by Joel on 16 November 2007

Does anyone know of the benefits of cinnamon for type I's?

Posted by Anonymous on 16 November 2007

When diabetes was discovered for me my diatician certainly recommended eating cinnamon. I put it on my oatmeal and cook it in what ever I cook if it fits the recipe.

Posted by ricklude on 21 November 2007

Hey, if it works for ya, why not!?

Seems that the intake of cinnamon works for some but, not others.

I'm going to try it for myself and see what results my BG tests show over a few months.

Posted by Anonymous on 23 November 2007

finally is it good for diabetic person or not?
and if it's good,for which typr 2 or 1 ?
please inform us,I think this article made me more confuse.

Posted by Anonymous on 24 November 2007

I take care of my husband who has a stabilized diabete type 2. I recently discovered that my sugar level is over 150, also if I avoid low sugars, and eat almost all what you recommend. However I did not know that I have not to eat if my sugar is over 150. I am a lady, 63 years old, and I walk at least 30 minutes a day.

Posted by Anonymous on 27 November 2007

I am taking only CinnaBeticII capsules, twice a day and my AIC is pretty good (6.1). I lost 25 pounds and had a very hard time taking diabetes medication, it caused low blood sugars. I believe the capsules are a lot safer than using store bought cinnamon.

Posted by Anonymous on 29 November 2007

I was diagnosed with type2 in Feb. I was started on Avandia, but since then have weaned off any prescription drug. Part of my daily regimen is 4,000 mgs cinnamon twice a day. My latest a1c was 5.7. When I was diagnosed it was 11.3. I think someone with diabetes2 should educate themselves as much as possible and be totally honest with themselves in their assessment of their lifestyle. It's not just one thing. To get a stranglehold on type2, you have to wage war on many fronts. Cinnamon is just one of the weapons.

Posted by Ladybird on 29 November 2007

I absolutely agree with the last post. Anybody "with type 2 should be totally honest with themselves...it's not just one thing.." that can help us. I'm a type 2 not on meds and had come to 5.9 but went back to 6.6 (having coming down from 6.8). Have suffered from severe diabetic neuropathy ( went on alpha lipoic acid, am convinced, it's what saved me from being a complete cripple by not spreading to my other foot and my foot drop has healed completely!).
Have change my entire lifestyle, would rather leave that chocolate cake to live a few more years, have lost 30 lbs. Am feeling great. Am back on cinnamon, trying it again. Am 6.3 at the moment and hoping it to go lower again. Yes, it's not just one thing, we have to fight diabetes on all fronts. Nothing like exercise to help us along!! Good luck to all in this fight!

Posted by Dekep on 4 December 2007

Testing cinnamon without the presence of other medications that attempt to control blood glucose seems like an excellent approach. You can't test the efficacy of a suntan oil if you're fully clothed.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 January 2008

The only thing to be careful of is to not go to overboard with the cinnamon as it can be toxic in high doses. The recommended daily amount is 500 mg twice daily

Posted by Anonymous on 23 January 2008

What real value does a study of 43 participants over -- ONLY -- 3 months have? When the authors of this study enroll a couple of hundred people, create a control group, make their criteria clear, and follow them over at least 3 years, then you can write about a worthwhile study. This study is so lightweight, that I am amazed you offered it more than a line!

Posted by HOFIII on 20 February 2008

I am type2 for approx. 1 year now, 51 years old, male, A1C is 5.6 and not on any type 2 meds. I have 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon in a little soy milk after anything that I eat and haven't had the spiking feelings that I would get prior to trying cinnamon. It has been a wonderful discovery since now I feel normal almost all of the time. I'm also now trying a little apple cider vinegar mixed with water after eating. Thanks

Posted by Anonymous on 2 June 2008

I have read that the difference in outcomes of the 2 studies mentioned was the formulation / type of cinnamon given. It doesn't mean that the cinnamon itself was ineffective, but perhaps the part of the cinnamon provided (standardization processes often eliminate the beneficial properties).

Posted by Anonymous on 12 June 2008

Unfortunately, the study cited above isn't very useful, since it drastically underdosed the cinnamon given to type 2 diabetes mellittus (DM) subjects. What I mean to say is that just 1 g of cinnamon (1000 mg)was given in this study (while the authors may have done this because most of the subjects were taking other diabetes medications, this simply didn't provide enough of the active ingredient, a water soluble polymer called a hydroxymethylchalcone). It's worth noting that the earlier studies (one of which was published in Diabetes Care in 2003) which showed cinnamon to be effective in type 2 DM patients showed effects at 4 g (4000 mg) and 6 g (6000 mg) per day, with greatest effects seen at 6 g per day (Khan et al, 2003).

Posted by Anonymous on 27 June 2008

Which organization did this study? It's not in the article, so we can't read the study ourselves to evaluate. Also, the sample size was incredibly small and the tracking period was short.

While I know more research is needed on cinnamon, I enjoy the taste so I add it to oatmeal, Cheerios, yogurt and other foods I eat every day. I figure adding a little bit isn't hurting anything (at least my research hasn't shown any potential for harm in moderate use), and there's the possibility that it can help my levels. All I know is my A1C and my daily glucose checks are lower since I started using cinnamon (though it also may be because of other dietary and exercise changes to my lifestyle).

Posted by volleyball on 30 June 2008

So if you are well medicated, taking a little extra cinnamon won't make a substantial difference over the short period.
And for a healthy active person, walking an extra mile a day did not result in marked improvement in health in 90 days.

What does that prove?

Posted by Anonymous on 24 July 2008

I take diabetes drugs and insulin for my type II. I currently take cinnamon and it does work for me.

Posted by Anonymous on 30 August 2008

I have been on bitter melon capsules now for the past six months. (I'm type 2) My sugar levels fell to exceptional levels, almost normal. I still eat correct and exercise frequently (3 4 times x 45 mins week) Why not combine cinnamon with bitter melon and see what happens.

Posted by peacce7 on 4 January 2011

i took 4,000 mg of cinnamon extract tablets today i also ate a cactus pear they both helped alot. the cactus pear was very tasty not that sweet at all. it was purple inside i ate the tiny seeds avery 15 minutes my sugar level dropped lower and lower the cinnamon extract my sugar dropped every 20 to 30 minutes they bothe worked well i will try bitter melon tablets as well. yes i take 8mg of glimepiride i00 mg of junovia 5mg blood pressure pill to protect my heart and kidneys i am a type 2 trying to be a type nothing. i want off the meds. i must admit i havent been eating as i should. its hard but i am trying again. low carb diets work. dont be a fool. low carb diets do work.

Posted by Anonymous on 11 September 2011

you will never get a positive responce from any kind of groupe like the diabetes ones or the british heart foundation, they will only push for medication that may be full of bad side affects, they dont like treding on the drug companies toes,

Comment: