Diabetes Health Reference Charts
A1c Test Archives

It's Time for "Hypo-Drills": Where I Help My Spouse Save My Life

Feb 7, 2008

I have been using insulin for over 29 years, and during this time I have experienced too many lows to recall. My endocrinologist informed me that insulin users who have an A1c less than 7 percent typically require emergency assistance for hypoglycemia about every six to nine months.

This is the price paid for running blood sugars so close to goal.

The lows that are the biggest threat to my life are the ones that occur while I am sleeping. Hypoglycemia rarely, if ever, takes me out from a waking state. This cannot be said for the hypoglycemia I experience during the middle of the night.

I am blessed to have a "lifesaver" in bed with me. My spouse feels my back almost every night to see if I am sweating through another low blood sugar. There was a time that my husband would undoubtedly call 911 to save me, but now he feels confident that he knows what to do and when it is time to call for help.

I don't know about you, but hearing the question, "Can you tell me your name?" means I have passed out and am in the company of emergency medical professionals. This question was being asked of far too often, at least in my opinion. I had come to realize that my beloved spouse did not know what to do in these situations and I wanted that to change.

I can't help him save my life while I am unconscious, but I can help him work through the process when I am coherent. It is with this notion that I started to do "hypo-drills" with my spouse. It goes something like this:

During the night, I wake him up and say, "I'm out cold, go!" He then must complete the drill. He retrieves the glucagon kit from the fridge and runs through the process step by step. (This is a great use for those expired glucagon kits.) The gift of the process is having my experience to pull from, as I can help him help me. He is able to ask questions as well as work through complicating factors.

The end result has been decreased time between him realizing there is a problem and me getting the injection of glucagon. The first few run-throughs were challenging for him. He didn't want to hurt me. He didn't want to make a mistake. His concern and "hand-wringing" took up precious minutes.

These "hypo-drills" have made a huge difference in both of our lives. I know my loved one knows what to do in case of emergency. My dear spouse also has the peace of mind that he can save my life in the event of me becoming unconscious due to hypoglycemia. He also knows when to call for outside help.

I am willing to accept my chances of periodically needing help for hypoglycemia, in lieu of experiencing the complications of uncontrolled diabetes. I make this safer to do so by having "hypo-drills."

Heather Jacobs
Santa Cruz, Calif.

Categories: A1c Test, Blood Sugar, Diabetes, Diabetes, Inspiration, Insulin, Low Blood Sugar, Personal Stories, Type 1 Issues

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 7 February 2008

I think you have developed an interesting way to solve possible low blood sugar problems, and I commend you for taking the steps necessary to educate your family as a back-up to your own self-treatment of your medical condition. Still, as someone who has hypoglycemic unawareness and is single, I want to ask these questions: Would it not be advisable to consider a a Continuous Glucose Monitoring System, either from Dex or Medtronic, or a diabetes service animal? I have had my Medtronic CGMS for almost a year now, and knowing what your blood sugar is at any moment in the day is priceless, as well as seeing if your blood sugar is dropping and you need to eat a snack. Having an alarm go off if your sugar drops too low and being able to watch your sugars restabilize is like a miracle. I used to test every 2 hours throughout the night and now I have the best sleep ever. I can solve the low sugar myself before it becomes a problem, and it gives comfort to family and friends so that they know what to do in an emergency. It is nice that you do not have to have an insulin pump to use the CGMS. Secondly, do you ever worry that your spouse my also sleep through a low, or that they might be stressed with concern over you? Do the costs and time of emergency medical treatment disrupt your life? And are you aware that your glucagon emergency kit may not work if you are fasting, have low levels of adrenaline, drunk alcohol, or there is insufficient glycogen in your liver to convert to glucose? Unfortunately glucagon is not a cure-all, especially if on other diabetic medications that slow carbohydrate absorption. While I applaud your efforts to help a situation once it has become life-threatening, I wonder what ways you have developed to help yourself and your spouse treat the problem before it starts? Perhaps another article from you would be beneficial to others?

Posted by Anonymous on 7 February 2008

Wow. Heather, thank you for sharing your story.
You are indeed lucky to have a 'life saver'. But it sounds like you are using insulin injections rather than a pump?
Our child has type 1 diabetes, and we too used to dread night-time lows. But the pump changed all that. We started using a pump just over 2 years ago, and since then I do not recall her having a single real 'low' during the night, and her a1c is consistently around 6.5.
I've heard from many other parents who have had the same experience switching to a pump.
I strongly recommend you consider pump therapy. It is a life and sleep saver!

Posted by dorisjdickson on 8 February 2008

I'm sorry. I have been a juvenile onset for more than 31 years. I have not had any emergency situations and have not had to rely on anyone to help me. My A1Cs have been a consistent 5.1 for more than 18 months. There are plenty of other insulin dependent diabetics who safely achieve normalized blood sugars without repeated trips to the emergency room.

Prior to glucose monitors, I'll bet there was some luck and a whole lot of liver intervention to be sure. But since the advent of glucose monitors and frequent testing (in my case 15 times a day - still nothing compared to a fully functioning pancreas), I believe achieving non-diabetic blood sugar levels is quite achievable and quite a healthy goal. To be sure, I use techniques many are not willing to even try.

To be sure, I don't eat whatever I please, whenever I please, in whatever volume I please. To be sure, I am prepared for a low at all times and I carefully monitor and record my blood sugar. And, I do not use large volumes of insulin thus making the russian roulette game minimal.

So, for all those who think these hospitalized lows are inevitable, they are not!

Posted by Anonymous on 8 February 2008

I too have to deal with the threat of devastating night time hypoglycemia since I'm a type one with A1cs averaging 6.4. Over 28 years with diabetes, I've experienced a number of those scary lows. And now that I have hypoglycemia unawareness, the chances of a devastating low at night is even greater. Hypo drills are an excellent idea. But I've found a different way to cope.

Because my husband is a sound sleeper, I can't count on him to wake up if I'm comatose. So for the past 5 or 6 years I've turned the problem over to God in prayer just before bedtime. Each night I put my life in God's hands and ask God to watch over me and to awaken me if I go too low. God has been faithful. A number of times a voice has told me, "Wake up!" in time for me to take a blood test and take the glucose I needed.

Each morning I thank God for this loving care. I have not suffered a devastating hypo at night since I began putting myself in God's hands each night. In this way, my diabetes has improved my relationship with and trust in God.

Posted by mrsensitive on 8 February 2008

I've also been a type 1 diabetic for 32 years without a trip to the emergency room. But I have had some scary nights, especially when my wife is out of town.

For me security comes from a continuous glucose monitor(Dexcom). It's alarm has often woken me in the middle of the night (I have it set to go off when it drops below 80). I will roll over, take a couple of glucose tabs, and go back to sleep.

The technology is far from perfect at this point, but it is a huge step in the right direction.

Posted by ntrubov on 8 February 2008

Hi everyone. Are you all still diabetic?

Good.

Now, here is some even BETTER news. You can adapt. Not all of you will, but with a little luck and even with some professional help it may be possible.

In MY case changing from NPH and Lente insulin was all it took to remove those unpredictable drops in blood sugars.

I spent two years on an insulin pump using 0.8 units per hour twenty four hours a day (and night). So, when Lantus became available it was a "no brainer" for me to switch to it. I have been using Lantus now for years (how many years has it been available here in the good old United States of Americal?).

No, not everyone has such a smooth and regular need for (and utilization of) insulin. But, knowing that you are not liable to unpredictable insulin activity (as is the case with NPH and Lente insulin preparations) sure does help a lot.

In the past I would be awakened by my wife when I was severly low and sometimes she could even "force" me to eat or drink something to bring my sugar up. When I was racing (bicycles) and had a chronic case of glycogen depletion AND was on lente even Glucagon would not do a thing for me. Often (once or twice a year minimum) I would have seizures in my sleep. It didn't hurt (as far as I can tell -- I can still balance my checkbook!) but it sure made my WIFE edgy.

Alas, even though I would NOT go to bed with a blood sugar in the "low" range, and would eat a "little" ice cream before going to bed (they LOVED to see me at Baskin and Robbins) I still had these unpredictable lows.

Now I can get up in the middle of the night, get an "instant" blood sugar reading and be happy that I am not going to have a "low" in my sleep. Of course with "old age" comes a problem that many men find they have acquired which requires getting up and micturating during the night. So, old age (in my case) isn't all bad.

I have only been injecting insulin for a little over forty five years now. I still have both feet and all my toes. Still no retinopathy and my kidneys don't leak any protein.

I wrote an article here last year wondering if I were a "real" diabetic and got a lot of feedback. I am still not sure whether I am or not. But I do take my insulin and I do measure my blood sugar a whole lot more than my endocrinologist is happy with (hey, HE isn't driving without being able to look out the window and have a look at the road ahead, and I have no idea why he thinks I should!?!?) but I have found that my blood sugars don't wander all over the place unpredictably like they USED to do when I used NPH and Lente insulins.

They still wander all over the place, but the peregrinations are, almost always, predictable and a result of my "poor" control. So, basically, I know when they are going to occur.

I am happy with that and, hopefully, you too can learn to be happy with YOUR situation.

Thanks for listening.

Nick Trubov CCP, LCP

(which means that I am a certified clinical perfusionist and a licensed clinical perfusionist)

Posted by Reen1960 on 8 February 2008

I've been Type 1 29 yrs, have hypoglcemic unawareness since 1991, and have had 7 low blood sugar ambulance/ER emergencies, BUT that was before my pump...My record low is 18! No ambulances since 1993, thank God! BUT with that said...I can be 30's, even 25, living alone, do my blood sugar, take some Smarties, then eat some carbs too, day or nite! I always wake up nites for a low tho (so far!), but it does get crazy scary sometimes! I do have a glucagon emergency kit, with note on the fridge where it is, plus all my meds, conditions, docs listed, and who to call in emergency. Been living alone for 4 yrs now, and my endo doc says never lock my doors, in case of emergency, but that's nuts, no way!...Wish I could get a CBGM, but my insurances won't cover one...I've gotten one "temp" for 3days once a year the past 2 yrs tho, and one nite I read 40 all nite long, and never woke up!...My HA1C runs 7.4 average, I would prefer 7.0, but my docs are concerned if I get "too much tighter" in control, I will experience worse lows, especially being brittle & the hypo unawareness "trickiness".

One great point tho: moving out of state soon, to live with my boyfriend in a few weeks, so that should be added blessing for my daily diabetes overall worries, with his support & care!....Every diabetic on the pump is different too, so not all of us can have HA1Cs lower than 7 without severe lows!

Posted by riva on 8 February 2008

I agree with the comment that said more or less, changing your insulin can change your life. As a type 1 always prone to lows, I had them frequently at 3AM when I was on Lente and another insulin that obviously peaked in the middle of the night. The sweet tarts I kept under my pillow were unrolled almost 3x/week. Now that I switched to Lantus and Humalog, which don't peak, and offer so much more control, I don't believe I've had to reach for the Sweet Tarts once. Check with your doctor if different insulins can make nighttime lows a thing of the past.

Posted by Anonymous on 8 February 2008

There is no need for tight control and hypoglycemic ER visits to go together.

There are plenty of people achieving 6% A1c and less without EVER going to the ER for a low.

And you don't have to have a CGMS. All you need is predictable insulin, and plenty of fingerstick checks.

As one commenter mentioned above, most people that still have unpredictable lows are using Lente or some other form of mixed insulins -- all of which are VERY unpredictable. Mixed insulins are prehistoric considering today's insulins.

Severe lows have never, ever happened at our house because we:
-do basal/bolus therapy with Lantus & Novolog
-do at least 5 to 7 fingersticks per day
-never do any insulin after 7pm

The key component is the insulin. You cannot control Lente and mixed insulins -- they control you. Lantus and Novolog/or Humalog or Apidra are very easy to control. A little common sense and a lot of fingersticks make for an easy type 1 life. (This last sentence will make some older/uninformed type 1's angry, but it's true. The new generation of type 1's are kicking butt and not looking back.)

That's why pumps are so good -- you control the insulin -- tighter than any other methods. Pumps are best, but if you can't afford one, you can do just as well with Lantus and novolog/humalog. Its just a little more hassle. But that hassle is worth all the good health and long life you get for your trouble.

There is NO other way to go besides basal/bolus therapy -- either with a pen or pump. With plenty of consistent checking, ER visits are a thing of the past.

Posted by whimsy2 on 8 February 2008

Having hypos while maintaining BGs well under the 7 range is not an absolute. You didn't say whether you're on the pump, on MDI or "standard dose". I would guess, though, that you're on standard dosing, and this could easily explain why you're having so many hypos. (By "standard dosing," I mean when you're told to take X amount of insulin at a certain time and X amount of insulin at another certain time with no regard for what you're eating or where your BGs are premeal.

While standard dosing is easier for the doctor, it certainly makes lows almost inevitable, since it doesn't take into account what you're eating at the upcoming meal and probably doesn't even include your premeal BG. But if you incorporate these factors into your insulin dosing - not just a "sliding scale," but matching carbs at that particular meal to insulin, factoring in your BG before the meal then adjusting your dose - when this is done correctly, hypos become a non-problem.

And shame on that doctor for implying that maintaining A1Cs under 7 is dangerous. It's not, if you know what to do. I've been type 1 for 10 years, maintained A1Cs at 6.2 or under, and have had relatively few "notable" hypos and none that discombobulated me. Which is a good thing, because I'm single and don't have a handy hubby to bail me out.

And oh yes, you'll have much better control if you get off NPH and regular insulin and use Lantus or Levimir for basal and fast-acting NovoLog or Humalog for meals.

Posted by Better-Cell on 8 February 2008

GLUCAGON EMERGENCY KIT should NOT be stored in the refrigerator since it will and can cause the vial that the Glucagon is stored in to clump. This will make it difficult to mix with the included diluent contained in the other vial.

Posted by Anonymous on 9 February 2008

Diabetic T1 for over 48 years I changed to Lantus/Humalog intensive therapy last year. Since then, I only had one situation where my wife had to wake me up and give me sugar syrup. I no longer used Glucagen ( Glocagon in Europe ), thank God ,as the kick was strong enough to feel really bad. Next to insulin pumps and real time monitoring, the Lantus/Humalog combination with enough blood control monitoring is the safest bet to avoid too many lows, a better sleep and safe long term diabetic control.
Fernando Faria, Portugal.

Posted by Anonymous on 9 February 2008

About Hypoglycemia:
Interesting discussion. I have had Type I diabetes for 50+ years. My HbA1c is 5.8; years ago it used to be over 7. I did not have a good record in the early days but did learn . . . . . . I am not now over weight, have an active life style

We are all different in how we react to carbohydrates, and insulin. There is NO ONE ANSWER that will work well for all of us in the same way. And because each of us is slightly different it makes for a lot of head scratching to know what to do about anything connected to diabetes.

Suggestions:
* Keep a Daily Log of insulin and food, stress times, illness, travel, hormonal to REMEMBER what happened yesterday. last week and last month. You will forget some vital facts about yourself after a few days, trust me on this one.
* Understand about ratio of insulin to carbs.
* Understand what type of carbs for meal planning. Some carbs react more slowly than others.
* Test frequently.
* READ labels; if you can NOT pronounce it - don't eat it!
* If possible, purchase a continuous glucose monitor. I sleep through the night undisturbed and depend on no one but me and the monior! Works very well!

Whether we have a glucose monitor or not we must find the best way that helps us and it is not an easy path always to follow but the end result surely pays off.
* Carb count, test often, understand our own metabolic system!

Having diabetes is something we can not afford to fool around with at any time. It won't go away so we can't forget about it but we can live with it comfortably - given some time to undersand. We need a good Health Team, and support from home. But if we ever hope to gain good control we MUST understand how our own metabolic system works. The Daily Log will help with this and to understand how to adjust insulin etc.

Also find a Certified Diabetes Educator.
Most provide excellent assistance.

On Hypoglycemia: Most people with diabetes often take too much insulin or do not understand how the insulin and carbs react within their own system and thus a hypoglycemic reaction. Yes, it takes a lot of work but doable and well-worth the effort over time!

Check out: Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGM)
DexCom - wireless Monitor
Medtronic - tub connected
Navigator - coming soon (think it will be wireless).

READ:
* Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE
* Taking Control of Your Diabetes (3rd edition) by Steven V. Edelman, MD

Good Luck!

Posted by Florian on 10 February 2008

Good article. As a practicing T1 for 40 years I've been through a lot of the same things that others have posted here already. I probably provided real life training for more EMT's on treating Hypos than I can count.

In 1967 when I was diagnosed I started treatment with 1 shot of NPH/day. When I got my first Glucometer in the early 80's I was advised to try NPH and R in a MDI Regimen.
Hypos were my greatest enemy but I survived thanks to people around me who always knew what to do. I have been lucky.

In the 90's Humalog and Lantus made it so much easier and better reducing the number of Hypos substantially.

Last July I started using a pump for hypoglycemia unawareness and better blood glucose control and I have taken a giant step forward already. Very few 20 to 40 LOWs. Most are now in the 50 to 60 range and signs of Hypoglycemia are gradually starting to return.

The next step will be a Continuous Glucose Monitor when the Navigator comes out and after that a CURE.

Florian (T1, 40 yrs)
Animas 2020 + Apidra

Posted by James on 10 February 2008

I certainly am not in a position to advise anyone else on how to control their diabetes, but I can relate some of my own experiences. I was diagnosed with diabetes in Aug. or Sept. of 1952, the week I was to have begun my first week of 7th grade in Shreveport, La. Instead I spent a week in the hospital in Shreveport, La. and had to practice injecting an orange the second day of my stay in order to learn how to inject myself. Obviously in those so called prehistoric' times, there was no BG monitor, etc. Just the good ol urine test.

I've had so many insulin reactions in the past 56 years I couldn't count them so I can definitely relate to what you're saying.
However I did learn of the low carbohydrate method of gaining better control by reading Dr Bernstein's book and started following his method of control on July 23 of 2007 and as a result was able to gradually reduce my insulin requirements to about 1/3 of what I had been using. In the past I'd taken 30-35 U Lantus in the a.m., now it's 7 U. Prior to each meal I take Novolog, 2-4 U, dependant on my last BG reading. In the past, per my past Dr. advice had been 9 U. just before meals. Hypoglycemic unawaremess I've had for decades.

Within 6 weeks of starting the Low Carb method I began to 'feel' an oncoming ins. reaction much to my surprise and took a Gluc. tablet. My weight has gone from 192 in April of last year to 150 by Nov. of 2007.

Last A1c in Nov. not good as I want, but nearly acceptable...6.2. My Endo, who vehemently opposed the low carb way at my last visit in Aug., in Dec. found the older version of the book in their library & now says she'll read it....also said if the type 2's went on this plan, she thought it'd wipe out type 2's problems.

I'd never go back to the other way of control of 15g carb per unit ins; I'd been overdosing for the previous 55 years, no more. My control is too good now to mess with it. As I've lived alone since 1989 it's important to have complete control, as I now do finally. My only regret is that I didn't learn of Dr Bernsteins Diabetes Solution book earlier....big change going from 30g carb for breakfast alone, to 30g total carb daily....but definitely doable & well worth it per end results.

Posted by rodinsc on 12 February 2008

Heather,

I would be more then a little concerned about an endocrinologist that says it is normal to require emergency assistance every 6-9 months.

I have had type 1 for 25 years and have been to quite a few different endocrinologists. I live in Santa Cruz and have a great endocrinologist in Dr Jeffrey Williams. He has given me advice that has really helped me fine tune my insulin dosage. Dr. Joe Prendergast is farther away from you in Redwood City but he is also great at giving realistic advice.

I also like reading the author Dr. Bernstein, mentioned above, because he has type 1 and has experimented with himself first. Some of his recommendations may be difficult for most but just use the ones that are right for you.

Every type 1 is different and different advice (and different doctors) works for different people.

John Rodriguez
A1c 6.0 and happy to be off the pump

Posted by cfrose on 13 February 2008

Yes, I think it is necessary to have a plan for dealing with lows and I commend you for your planning. Planning is very necessary for those of us with diabetes. I know that diabetes is a very individual disease and we all react differetly but I have a problem with what the endocrinologist who said that someone on insulin with A1C's below 7 would be likely to need professional assistance with a low more than once a year. I have been on insulin for 43 and a half years and have had an A1C in the 6's for most of at least the last 10-15years. The only time I had a low that required a rescue squad was 22 years ago which was before the time of having a blood glucuse meter small enough to carry with me. I feel that the way I have avoided serious lows has been to do lots of blood sugars. I regularly do 7 to 10 a day which may sound like a lot but it is a lot better than having to deal with glucagon, rescue squads, and emergency departments. I do not think my endocrinologist would agree with yours. But I encourage myself and everyone of us dealing with diabetes to remember to not get discouraged and to keep learning. And always remember that only those of us (and those really close to us) who deal with it really know what it is like. Congratulations to all of you and the hard work you do to take care of yourself and others!!!!! It makes each one of us stronger. I thank God for each of you and pray for all of us.

Posted by HeatherJacobs on 15 February 2008

I would like to thank everyone for their interest, comments and recommendations about “hypo-drills”. The purpose of this piece was simply to offer a tool that has been useful in my life with diabetes.

I came up with the idea for these hypo-drills many years ago, and at that time it served as an invaluable practice. I have since made numerous changes in my program and life, and am benefiting from more predictable insulin and stability with my pump.

The reason I wrote this piece is to serve as a “best-practice” for my fellow diabetes community members. I most certainly agree that one must do all one can do to limit the potential for hypoglycemia, however even with the best measures, it still can happen.

I am grateful to hear that some who commented have optimum A1cs and never, ever had severe lows in their house. That is wonderful! However, I would caution that even though it has not happened that it may some day, and it doesn’t hurt to have a plan.

Best regards,
Heather Jacobs

Posted by Photobrat on 22 February 2008

Wow - I LOVE this website and SO appreciate everyone's input. I am a mom of a 12-yr old boy, who was recently diagnosed with type 1 Last November. Although, I'm gateful of all yoru postings, it sure does scare me. My son is on Novolog, NPH and Lantus (at night). I do not check him in the middle of the night because he usually goes to bed with a BS higher than 150 - should I be checking him in the middle of the night?

He does have lows, but they are usually around 10am, three hours after getting Novolog and NPH; I give him 3 units of NPH and 1 unit of Novolog per 30g carbs. However, he is still in his honeymoon period (we think) and I give him units according to what he number is at the time, and my "gut" feeling. One morning, he had McDonald's which consisted of about 190g carbs - he should have received about 8 units of Novolog. My "gut" said "NO WAY..only give about 3 or 4 units," so I did. Sure enough, two hours later, he was at 109 -- if I would have given him 8 units, he would have really been low (we only give him Novolog during weekends, cuz he sleeps in and all). Anyway, I am WAY confused on what to do, but it sure seems like my "gut" has been right.

Could it be that the NPH is causing his mid-morning lows? I thought NPH is supposed to carry him through his lunch period at school, be around 2:30pm, like today, he is running anywhere from 250 - 389. I don't know what the solution is. Hearing about these major "lows" scares me. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for ALL your feedback.

Tana

Posted by Photobrat on 22 February 2008

By the way -- what does it mean when you all say, "Hypo-unawareness" and is there really a device or something that sounds when you have a "low?" ALSO, any advise or feedback about the pump...pros, cons? Boy, there is a lot to learn, and believe me, that's all I've been doing is researching. My husband says I shouldn't be "micro-managing" my sons illness, but what else would a mother do?? I just want him to know everything before he moves out on his own one day.

Thanks again.

Posted by HeatherJacobs on 24 February 2008

Hi Tanya,

It sounds like you are doing what it takes. I like to view my care as my own science experiment, as I know I will always need to learn, test, adjust and learn some more. I do recommend an occasional checking of glucose in the middle of the night especially when changing regimens. My goal is to balance my care with my quality of life.

"Hypoglycemia-unawareness" happens when a person has had several lows over a short period of time (each of us are different here as well). What happens is the body loses its ability to give warning signals of hypoglycemia. I have gone through periods of having several lows over a couple of days and found myself with a blood sugar of 37 with no apparent signs of a low. What I recommend is checking the glucose more frequently during such periods. The good news (at least for me) is that I regain my awareness in a matter of days of normal blood sugars.

Finally, I understand your vigor in tending to your son's life and well-being, however I caution about consuming you, your son and your family’s lives with diabetes. Encourage your son, preferably by example, to pursue things he loves in this life. When asking/forcing someone to take on the daunting challenges of managing a chronic condition it helps to give love, energy, and passion to the quality of that LIFE.

I hope this has been of good use.

Heather

Posted by HeatherJacobs on 24 February 2008

My Apologies, it's TANA!

Posted by Ann on 1 March 2008

Hi my fellow diabetis,

Feb.12 was my 33rd year with diabetes. Diagniosed at 12. As year goes by I have to have a lower and lower BS in order to have symptomg of a loe BS. My reactions really wipe me out (fatigue and Headache) I don't jut bounce back from a low like i did when I was younger. 2 weeks ago I hit my lowest in the midle of the night. i tested on one machine and was 24:( I didn't bekieve it so I went to another machine and it was 23. I have read that they now have sen a decrease in brain functions in diabetics that have frequent. I have at least one a day. You all know that you can do veryhing right and that damn accuchech machine will read very high or very low reading. I have hypoglcemic unawareness, fibromialgia and unfortunately reacurring carpal ullel 6 year after ahve surgery to both hsnds. I am considering applying for disbility. have any of you applies and how much difficulty did you have getting it??
Thanks to all of you,

Ann

Posted by mrsensitive on 15 October 2008

Posted by Anonymous on 23 March 2009

Hi - this is my story - sad but true - my son has been a Type I diabetic since he is 13 and now he is almost 37 yrs old and by being at the wrong place at the wrong time, is now in Federal Prison - He is not able to test his BS but once a day and not on the week-ends...he has been writing and complaining about waking up to a low BS and not having any symptoms of having a low....as a Mother I am so frustrasted as I don't know what to do to help or suggest to him. His A1C is 8.0 and now that he is in a Federal Prison Camp, his diet is more controlled and the problem is the low's in the middle of the night......Can anyone out there relate or have any suggestions for me. We do correspond through e-mail, and telephone...

Thank you.

Concerned Mom in Florida
Son is out of state

Posted by rodinsc on 6 April 2009

To Concerned Mom.

Post the address of:
1) The prison warden
2) The Florida senators

I will write and I hope others do too.

Limiting prisoners to testing once per day is way too little.

I also think this should be investigated by Diabetes Health.

Comment: