"Erase Your Mistakes With Exercise" and Other Secrets to Living a Long Life With Diabetes
Sheri Colberg, PhD, who has type 1 diabetes, is an exercise physiologist at Old Dominion University who specializes in research in diabetes and exercise. She has co-authored an inspirational and relevant book called, “50 Secrets of the Longest Living People with Diabetes.”
Dr. Colberg interviewed dozens of people with diabetes from the age of 23 to over 80 years and used their experience and insights to compile the secrets in her book. She hopes to help those living with the disease today live a long, healthy life.
The book is organized into eight categories—emotion, knowledge, control, diet, exercise, medication/technology, support, and other life.
Here are a few gems:
- Live first and be diabetic second
- Respect the power of diabetes
- Know your numbers and assume nothing
- Carry a toothbrush
- Erase your mistakes with exercise
- Monitor regularly and vary the time of day you do so
- Find a diabetes hero or mentor
- Adopt a pet