Letters to the Editor Archives

Mother Disappointed in Nick Jonas

Jul 17, 2008

Editor’s note: Every parent can relate to the desire to protect their child from disappointment. The author of this letter is reeling from the devastating diagnosis of diabetes in her daughter. If any of our readers know how she can get what she’s looking for, please post a comment in the section below.

I wish that Nick Jonas had a form letter that his people could send out to kids who contact him after they have been diagnosed with diabetes.

Dear Editor,

I felt I needed to write you because of all the press you do on Nick Jonas. I am the mother of a nine-year-old daughter who was diagnosed with type 1 five months ago. I won't describe the horrendous day we found out, but I want to say that I did not want any of the doctors or nurses to say the word “diabetes.” I was so fearful that my daughter would completely fall apart (even more than she already had). I knew she knew what diabetes was because she is a huge fan of Nick Jonas.

Of course, in no time at all, the doctor dropped the "D" word and I braced myself for my daughter’s fear and dismay. Instead, she surprised me with her response. She paralleled herself to Nick and felt comforted knowing that he lives a great life and doesn't look like he suffers from day to day. From that day on, she has had an amazing strength, again that is constantly compared to Nick. He gave her a coping mechanism.

She has to have the same dog tag medical ID, and she has an Omnipod that she just had to have because Nick has it.

But there’s a down side, too. My daughter has dreams of hearing from Nick, getting support from him, and even meeting him. As a mother, of course I want my daughter’s dreams to come true. I realize that the world doesn't work the way a kid would like it to, but she’s been through so much, and I tried everything I could think of to get a "keep up the good work" email from him. I emailed his fan club (which we belong to), but I had no success.

I am a parent of a crushed little girl who has put her faith in him, and I am left with nothing else to tell her. I explained to her that he is on tour right now, has a full time job, is a teenager, and…is dealing with having diabetes himself. But you know what kids are like. She doesn’t really understand.

I am not looking for handouts from Jonas or any special treatment because of my daughter’s diagnosis, but I would so appreciate a simple letter, even one that is sent out to every other child experiencing the challenge of diabetes. I don't think for a second that that should be asking too much. I am writing this letter to Diabetes Health because you have given him lots of publicity, and I wanted you to know how I felt and what our experience has been. By doing this, I feel like I am somehow doing justice for my very heartbroken daughter.

A let down mom,
Kristen Westbrook

Categories: Diabetes, Diabetes, Kids & Teens, Letters to the Editor, Nick Jonas, Type 1 Issues

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 17 July 2008

"I am not looking for handouts from Jonas or any special treatment because of my daughter’s diagnosis"

Sounds to me like that's EXACTLY what you're looking for. Why else then would you be posting this letter in an effort to publicly shame Nick into giving your daughter special attention that he probably has neither the time nor inclination to give to any of his other millions of anonymous prepubescent fans? You remind me of the woman who made up a story about her daughter's father dying in Iraq in order to win tickets for her daughter to attend a Miley Cyrus concert. I have no doubt that your daughter has diabetes and that she is a fan of Nick. But do you honestly expect Nick to pen a letter to EVERY juvenile fan who is diabetic--or just maybe your kid? Try joining the real world that the rest of us inhabit, and give the Hollywood celebrity worship a rest.

Posted by PNWmom on 17 July 2008

When I have seen the Jonas Brothers being interviewed or performing I can't take my eyes off Nick - as a mother it amazes me that he does cope so well with diabetes at 15 with such a busy lifestyle.

It might be good to remind your daughter that diabetes is just a small part of who she and Nick are as people, and to be a good role model he should continue pursuing his dreams and goals as he would have had he not developed diabetes. Your idea is a good one, but he is already doing more than most adults might find the time to do to raise awareness of type one and to support others who share that challenge.

Maybe you could ask your daughter to be an advocate for newly diagnosed kids with T1D by finding a way herself to set up an 'auto-response' from the fan club or a page like childrenwithdiabetes.com so that others would benefit from her efforts as well as Nick's participation.

In that way she could be more like him as an advocate just as she is as a fan with IDDM.
You might want to sit down with her and write a list of goals that she could work toward that would benefit newly diagnosed kids as well as those who have been living with diabetes since they were babies or toddlers.

Is there a local family support group through the ADA or JDF in your area? Finding others her age to work on that kind of project would be helpful for them all - and she could gather extra ideas for what each of the others might have wished for in the first year they were diagnosed.

Our support group was started by families of toddlers with diabetes, and by the time my son was 7 there were holiday parties and picnics scheduled for families where he saw other children getting blood tests and shots - and all the drinks were zero calorie, with the carb counts on all the pot luck dishes (with recipes).

I bet with all the travelling the Jonas Brothers do, your daughter has a much better chance of connecting in person with others who have diabetes.

If she set up a web page where she and other fans offered support and encouragement to other kids with diabetes, especially those who are recently diagnosed, her efforts might be as highly appreciated as Nick's would be.

When my son was newly diagnosed, I was dismayed to find that he felt I needed comfort and support, when all I wanted to do was support and comfort him. Since I could not cure his diabetes, I wanted to do whatever else I could do to bring him joy, or just distraction.

Eventually I found that our relationship before his diagnosis was what he really needed. That first year it was hard to step back and give him the respect and dignity he deserved as a person. I learned so much about him when he was eight years old, because he was diagnosed with diabetes.

I have great faith in your daughter to deal with whatever disappointment she might feel in not getting her wish; maybe that is a distraction she can use in that first year that she is learning to integrate diabetes care into her regular life. Reaching out to other fans, or other kids with diabetes in general, may be a better distraction for her and all of them, too.

Wishing you all the best,

Pam W
SE of Seattle
Diabetes Information for Classmates

Posted by Anonymous on 17 July 2008

I am very impressed with your daughter. She has taken charge of her situation, done very well, and is probably an inspiration to others who know her. It sounds as if she has been a terrific support for you during your emotional trials of understanding what she is going through. It sounds as if it her diabetes is ten times harder on you, perhaps being her parent, than your daughter. Since I got diabetes as a youngster, long before even meters and test strips, I have to say that being treated as a normal person was the best gift anyone could have ever given me, even allowing me to reach out to others with the illness, and family and friends, and being a support person for them. The hardest part was watching my parents and seeing how worried they were, or friends and teachers acting so differently - it makes you feel like there must be something wrong with you if others act that way. I was happy for the people who could treat me as ME, not DIABETIC and then ME. 28 years later and not a single diabetic problem to show for it, I can honestly say there are far worse things in the world. Your daughter sounds like one of those special people who can be a support for others - a rare gift - and I encourage her to be another "Nick" to people who can relate to HER in a special way. She may, and probably will, someday meet Nick, but in this case, he might be lucky and meet her. And she might give someone sort, insight, or encouragement in a way that no one else can.

Posted by Better Cell on 17 July 2008

Your daughter has an obsessive longing for Nick Jonas bordering on NEUROTIC. Even if she did not have Diabetes, she would still have a teenage(teenybopper) "crush" on him.
He is not obligated to see. speak to, or write to every fan.
You are a real "Pushy" mother, who should quit your own obsession as well and provide a good role model for your daughter as well as seek Psychiatric help.

Posted by Type1 on 17 July 2008

I applaud PNWmom on her very diplomatic response - I have Type 1 diabetes, am aware of Nick Jonas's ordeal with diabetes and have followed some of the articles on his diabetic journey in various diabetes publications. That said, I was somewhat appalled and taken aback at Ms Westbrook's comments and feeling of entitlement to receive some sort of reply from Nick Jonas.

PNWmom is right about the Jonas brothers being busy (busier than any of us can probably imagine) and they may have hundreds of thousands of letters awaiting reply. To think that your daughter deserves a response is rather selfish and single-minded, I hate to say. The fact that Nick is finally speaking about his diabetes and now writing about it in song (out 8/17) is a wonderful gift for us and our children, to know they can identify with someone like him in a special way. Please remember, he is only a 15 year old boy who has had a whirlwind past couple of years. Please be grateful he is publicly sharing his plight with diabetes and it appears your daughter takes comfort in that, I know I do.

Perhaps one day your daughter will meet Nick Jonas at a diabetes fundraiser or related venue. If you log onto the many diabetes related websites it is possible to look up events that may have as a guest a celebrity who has diabetes.

In any case, I think you've told your daughter the right things about why Nick hasn't written to her (yet?), as it is our job as parents to see that our children become accepting, mature teens and adults.

I wish you the best.

Type1

Posted by Anonymous on 18 July 2008

Please seek out a support group for you and your daughter. Diabetes is stressful, there are great books and counseling services that can help both of you.

Posted by oakhaven on 18 July 2008

A couple of points:
1. It's always disappointing when you find you cannot establish communication with a person known to many. That doesn't mean that Jonas doesn't empathize with your daughter. But communications can be overwhelming. When was the last time you felt "privileged" to receive a form letter from your congressperson?

2. The more important point concerns you, Kristen. Diabetes is not an overwhelming disease that places limits on anything your daughter will achieve in life. Yes, when I was diagnosed at 17 (45 years ago) my parents were upset. Sure! But they were not "crushed". Type 1 diabetes is a manageable disease. And with today's insulins, pumps, and continuous glucose monitoring systems management is easier and more effective. With the advancement of technology we can expect that within 2-3 years the pump (combined with a continuous glucose monitor) will, in effect, become an external pancreas and work as well as the human one. I would advise finding a support group -- either in your city or on the web -- that will assist you in overcoming your fears about diabetes.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 July 2008

It is disappointing when a child finds out they have diabetes. I have a 8 and 11 year old. My 6 year old was diagnosed at 11 months of age, and my 11 year old was diagnosed at 9 years old. Children need to realize that artists are simply putting awareness of a cause (diabetes)out there so that Congress and others realize it is increasing rapidly. Nick Jonas would like more attention brought to juvenile diabetes, and is working to get more funding for research. Nick Jonas doesn't have the time, and shouldn't feel like he needs to contact every diabetic child. That is completely unreasonable. Support starts at home, and as parents, we should be positive about the diagonosis and role model the attitudes we wish our children should have about being diabetic. Life is full of disappointments, and not getting what you want (ie. getting a letter or acknowledgement from Jonas) is sometimes what happens in life. Connect her with other diabetics in your city, and stop feeling "devastated" about the diagnosis, and start living!

Posted by angivan on 18 July 2008

It sounds like you both could use some counseling to help you through the grief you're feeling from the diagnosis. Diabetes is very challenging, but it isn't a death sentence! I've been living with Type 1 for 24 years. Not a day goes by when I wish I didn't have it, but I do count my blessings that I can lead a mostly normal life and there is so much new technology (pumps, meters) that make it much more manageable. As for Nick Jonas, you must realize that he is currently the obsession of millions and millions of teenagers, thousands of whom are diabetic like your daughter. It's not realistic to think you'll get a personal letter from him...he is swamped. But it's great that she can use him as a role model. Focus on that instead of feeling sorry for yourselves that he isn't able to write to you, you are making it worse for her by buying into the idea that he might.

Posted by kristenwes on 18 July 2008

I can not believe the comments that many of you have given. I am the farthest thing from a "PUSHY" mom. I am probably the most passive person you have ever met. I am not a complainer or an avid blogger to get myself heard, BUT in this instance I felt it necessary to write not just for my daughter but any other child that is experiencing a life change that can be just a little bit brightened by an email or a pre fab letter from somebody they look up to. She is not and overly obessed fan that lets the "Nick
onas letter"consume her day but just a kid who found it a little easier to cope because she could paralel herself to somebody in the spotlight. I do not in any way want handouts from anybody nor do I feel "PRIVELIGED" but I do in fact absolutely believe that as a role model to these kids they should absolutely have a system set up to send out an automated prefab letter that does not take ANY time from nick himself but from his PR person who could jot down a quick letter with some positive thoughts that is signed by nick and mass copied for NOT ONLY my daughter but anyone else that is facing this challenge.I am not shaming nick in a ny way and I believe that Nick is doing a wonderful job with bringing juvenile diabetes to the forefront and I commend him for using his success as a podium for more awareness but I also think that something as little as an automated response to an email is very simple to set up and by no means does it inconvenience him to do so. He has people who do that for him. I think that the woman who compared me to someone who made up a story to get concert tickets should be ashamed of themselves for saying such a thing. I do not expect concert tickets or a personal phone call or anything in that manner. As a matter of fact we have been to the Jonas brothers concert and will be going again with no "handouts" from anyone. This letter was in no way intended for special treatment and I think it is absurd to make accusations as such. We as a family are learning and dealing with her diabetes everyday and have a wonderful support system. We focus on the positive and have networked with others that she can relate to. She is by far the strongest 9 year old I have ever met and she inspires people everyday. She is does not frown upon her diagnosis but takes every day as it comes with a smile and does not think twice about educating anybody who approaches her. That being said, for all of you that feel like knocking me down for having a suggestion that may bring an extra smile to a child who is facing a tough road (not just my own) should find some more positivity in their lives and not feel so inclined to rip people apart. I did not rip anybody apart and in no way tried to shame nick jonas. I applaud him for all of his success and still to this day back him in his fight to cure JD.

Kristen Westbrook

Posted by Anonymous on 18 July 2008

My daughter is also a fan of the Jonas Brothers and is Type 1. I use Nick Jonas as a positive influence and as a reminder that she can do anything with her life. Nick announced his diabetes to help build awareness.
At first, I too thought it would be great for my daughter to meet him someday but know it's unrealistic to expect her to personally meet or for he to respond to her letters. When something happens to you or your family it's easy to get in the mindframe that you're the only one. A friend gave me a card that reads "The difference between a major and a minor problem is who it is happening to....and if it's happening to you...it's major....and if it's happening to someone else....it's minor...
As someone stated above there are thousands of Type 1 children that are in the same situation as you and your daughter.

I did find a website "Change for the Children". It is a Foundation that the Jonas Brothers formed. Here is the info:
Using his celebrity to help those suffering from the condition, Nick decided to establish a foundation with his brothers called Change for the Children, which gives concert tickets to young fans also stricken with type 1 diabetes. These guys are not only using their musical talent to help others, but in this small little way they’re showing the love of Christ to those that are walking in their shoes everyday.

So, I do think they are doing their part in helping children everywhere. I have started going to my local JDRF support group and it helps knowing there are other people in the same boat as you. There are also great websites such as childrenwithdiabetes.com to help you and you daughter. Best Wishes.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 July 2008

Can we please stop using the word "diabetic" and be a bit more kind as to say "person with diabetes"...how would you like a "label" placed upon you like a Scarlet Letter "A"? It might be a bit more PC but it will also stop ignorant questions like "Is being Diabetic hard cause you can't eat alot"????!!!! People with diabetes can eat whatever they want and how ever much they want BUT they have to cover the carbs with the correct amount of insulin as well as get enough exercize as any other human being. Shouldn't we all have the same "health restrictions" as any other person without diabetes? OH and BIG DEAL, somone used the word "DIABETES"...it's not a four letter word and it CERTAINLY is no longer a death sentence.

Posted by angivan on 18 July 2008

Kristen, I understand that you are not meaning to be pushy, I just think you're being very unrealistic. The Jonas Brothers franchise has exploded in a very short time, and I'm sure they will get around to doing what you suggest, but it takes months or years to faciliate things like that. But when you say "I am a parent of a crushed little girl who has put her faith in him, and I am left with nothing else to tell her," you need to understand that it sounds like you're both pining away for this letter to arrive, and because it hasn't, she has lost faith in a boy who has done so much for bringing Type 1 into the spotlight. No need to lose faith in him...just enjoy his music and don't be so desperate for a superstar to validate her life. He's just a kid with diabetes, just like her. She sounds like a great girl who is learning to deal with the blows of life, as we all have, so you need to buck up and be a pillar of strength for her when she has bad days (and she will have a lot of them!). Be an example of endurance and resilience for her. Take care.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 July 2008

I cannot believe the letters written in response to Kristen's letter regarding Nick Jonas! What is the matter with people that they have the need to pick somebody apart for voicing a simple opinion. I think that all those who have responded negatively need to take a closer look at themselves instead and ask themselves why they found it necessary toin essence ATTACK someone for merely pointing out that maybe NIck Jonas should care about his fans a little more and respond to a heartfelt letter. I am sure the Jonas Brothers have a staff of people who handle their fan clubs, etc. and could have sent a simple response to Kristen's daughter. I don't believe she was asking for much at all and she sounds to me to be a very caring and fair person.
Shame on all of you!!!

Posted by ldaniel on 18 July 2008

Kristen,
I can relate to you. I wrote the letter to the editor "A Grateful Mom Thanks Nick Jonas for Speeding her Daughters Diagnosis. I received many positive comments but there were a few really mean ones including one calling me Stupid. Unfortuntely, when publishing your letter it opens you up for all type of comments.

I do think the Jonas Brothers are trying to help young diabetics and they have formed a Foundation called Change for the Children to help them. Maybe you could write to them with your suggestion.

My daughter also has a dream to meet Nick someday. I let her know it is a dream and hopefully someday it will come true. But on the otherhand I also re-inforce that it is a dream of almost every young girl and also ones with diabetes. Life is all about dreams and if we didn't have any life would be not the same.
I agree with comment #3. I have to say it has been very emotional for my daughter but it has been 10 times worse on me. Every parent wants the best for their children and watching them suffer is not easy.

It has been almost 5 months since my daughter was diagnosed and each day gets alittle easier. It's not an easy task keeping their chin up all the time but role models such as Nick Jonas help. It sounds like she has a great support system which will make her life easier.

My daughter along with many friends and family have signed up to walk in our local JDRF Walk for a Cure in Sept. I can't tell you how excited my daughter is. She is coming up with ideas on how to raise money. It's great to watch her become confident in herself.
Hopefully together we can find a cure!

Take care,
L Daniel

Posted by Anonymous on 18 July 2008

I understand your daughter feels like she has a comrodery with Nick and a bit of a crush. (Who doesn't?)
Just look at it this way:
How would you feel if a parent felt that it was your daughters obligation to write a letter or have some kind of communication with with their child just because your daughter was a famous advocate of sorts? I mean come on?!?! Nick has school, practice, concerts, interviews (for all you fans), family, friends, chores, bus/airplane rides, and lets not forget, the big D word, Diabetes. Give the KID a brake!
Most of us have pretty busy lives and who are we to say this KID, Nick, should do this if we ourselves cannot find time for the many things and people (even the ones we love)?
Best Wishes,
MW!

Posted by Rachel~i on 18 July 2008

I am 16 years old and I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 10. At that time I was diagnosed there was no one like Nick to make kids with Diabetes feel good about themselves. I am so thankful for Nick though because he says everything that I would say and I want to tell you Diabetes really hasn't held me back. I am also a fan of the Jonas Brothers and hope to meet Nick one day, but you must have patience. Realize that there are many other kids who are going through the same things that your daughter has to go through.Let her know that eventhough she may feel alone, that she is not alone. I know what she feels like, but now that there is Nick, at least she has someone to look to for inspiration. I know you worry more about your daughter now because of Diabetes but know that you

Posted by Rachel~i on 18 July 2008

I accidentally pressed post. Finishing my sentence, know that you will learn so much from this that you couldn't have learned in any other way. God Bless.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 July 2008

PLEASE check out Type1parents.org for great support from great people all over the country and beyond!

Posted by deled on 18 July 2008

You have a wonderful daughter who sounds as though she will cope very well with a rather unpleasant condition. When two of my four children were diagnosed with IDDM I made the conscious decision that they would never be 'diabetics' but people who just happened to have diabetes, the way some people just happen to have red hair or short stature or what ever else may cause them some angst. Of their own volition they chose not to attend support groups or similar becasue they preferred not to dwell on their condition, and did not want to be in situations where the focus was on diabetes or people with diabetes. They are now young adults enjoying very full, successful lives, one as a law student at university and the other as a highly regarded PA to the chairman of a large investment company. Diabetes simply isn't an issue, they just deal with it. They enjoy excellent health with no complications in spite of having had diabetes for 23 and 21 years respectively. Take the focus off the condition and put it back where it belongs, on a normal little girl who just happens to have a very manageable condition. You, like me as a mother, of course have your own private griefs and worries as you look into the future and see the dark clouds which may loom for your daughter. Keep them private, do not communicate them to your daughter. Feed her well, (as a naturopath I would happily give you tips if you felt you needed them) and let her get on with her NORMAL life.

Posted by Better Cell on 18 July 2008

You really are a manipulative mother. Not only do you publish your whole name, but you have posted a photo of your daughter probably telling her, "to look sad, despondent with a woe is me appearance," in order to gain sympathy and exposure.
Having T1DM does not entitle you to a pass with Make A Wish Foundation!!

Posted by Anonymous on 18 July 2008

To Better Cell:
Don't you have anything better to do with your time than bashing people?? Can't people make suggestions??? Diabetes Health has been giving Nick Jonas publicity lately and she thought maybe her suggestion would be heard this way.
Sounds like you need to get a life!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by SaschiesMum on 18 July 2008

Living with diabetes is not a easy job, but people DO LIVE with it and manage it very well.
Way back when I was diagnosed (18, Feb, 78 which was over 30 years ago) with IDDM type 1 (I state IDDM type 1 is because there are some type 2's that require insulin for life), there was no one out there for the newly diagnosed to look up to. I am glad that there are the Jonas Bothers, mainly Nick for the kids now days to look up to for inspiration.
Also, there ARE other celebraties out there that also have diabetes and are very vocal about it.. to name a few; Mary Tyler Moore, who has hooked up with JDRF; Bret Michaels, lead singer of Poison, a rock band from 80's and early 90's, who has a TV show on VH1..this is just to name a few.
We as a community need some inspiration to keep the hard work up, to live as "normal" life as possible.
To put it bluntly, some of the comments are down right dispictable, and the authors themselves need psychological help themselves to deal with a unseated anger issue (I am not one to beat around the bush, I tell it how I see it, and I do not care who's feelings I hurt). Oh and to the person that said "Not only do you publish your whole name, but you have posted a photo of your daughter probably telling her. "to look sad, despondent with a woe is me apperance" Some names MIGHT look like they are a real name, but could actually be a facticious name, and the picture, also could be of someone else that Diabetes Health put up to assocate a picture with the letter.
Now days, to expect something from a celebraty is almost impossible. They are extreamly busy, and also some use their families as PR (Jonas brothers use their mother as their manager and father as their PR rep) and since Nick is still a MINOR their family travels together (along with their younger brother). And to expect or think that a mass mailed letter could be sent out to the newly diagnosed fans, to me is unrealistic at the very least.
I would suggest both the mum and daughter get together with other newly diagnosed diabetic pre-teens (tweens) and become their own possitive reinforcement and help others that are newly diagnosed, for I do know that it is not a easy diagnosis to live with. Even though I was diagnosed 30 years ago, and it is along time since I was diagnosed, there just happens to be 4 other type 1's in my immediate family, and one just got addmitted to hospital LAST NIGHT with type 1 dx. 2 of my nephews and 2 neices (out of 4 nephews and 5 neices) are type 1, encluding the youngest at 16 months (who was just dx'd last night). They look up to ME as their roll model. This is why some suggest getting them in a support group, and associating oneself to either American Diabetes Association (ADA) or Juvinile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF). Because even though there are celebraties out there with diabetes that the kids want to look up to, that is good, but it is also good to have someone to look up to that the person with diabetes can actually envolve themselves with a friendship, a lifelong friendship..

This is coming from one diabetic to another.

Posted by Anonymous on 20 July 2008

translation:
can someone feel sorry for my daughter and somehow get me a letter from nick?

btw, can you imagine if the doctor doesn't say "the word" diabetes?
i can hear the lawsuits already... "well, the doctor never actually SAID she had diabetes".

some kids are more grown up than their parents.

Posted by Anonymous on 20 July 2008

Kristen, I understand where u are coming from. My son Robbie was diagnosed 2 summers ago when he was 5 while visiting his father in Nebraska for 6 weeks. The night I got the call from his father was hoorifying. I stayed up all night and had to take off work for awhile to get some training in order to care for him after he and my daughter returned on the 9th of July. I searched for answers and people who could help me and my son; but no one would help me. It wasn't until I started subscribing to this Diabetes Health magazine online when I found the help I was wanting. I ran across an article by Laura Plunkett about her son Danny having been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She wrote a book about her experiences and having to deal with it on a day to day bases. It helped me alot maybe you can go back to the previous articles and look for this article. My son Robbie is 7 now and is doing much better. We still have highs and lows but we have learned how to deal with them by following the doctors insulin correction amounts and adjusting where needed. Also I got to meet John Schneider from the Dukes of Hazzard back in November of 2006 and I mentioned to him that my son had diabetes and he said that the reason he and Marie Osmond started the Children's Miracle Network was for children with Diabetes. So u might check into the Children's Miracle Network as well. I wish I could help u more. I know that when people say it will get easier it is not much comfort at the time. So I won't say that; what I will say is that your daughter will get better at dealing with it. My son has just amazed everyone he comes in contact with about his diabetes. Robbie can give himself his own shots and he is learning how to add up his own carbs and is slowly wanting to learn how to draw up his insulin into the syringes. I had to restrict his father's visitations because his father would not follow the dosing instructions or follow the proper carb amounts while he had him for the summer of 2007. He is mad about not getting to visit with his son and chooses to not see his daughter either; but I feel that in the long run I did what I had to do inorder to keep my son alive. I hope what I have said helps u in some way. Just let ur daughter know that she is still the most important person in ur life and tell her how much u love her everyday.

Posted by Anonymous on 20 July 2008

I must really say, the majority of you people posting here are either illiterate or just retarded.

Allow me to explain exactly what I mean by this, and I do apologize for all of the retarded comments you have made that I will not retort to because I was getting sick reading some of your responses.

First calling her pushy because she thinks the magazine that sends out cover sized pictures of a famous celebrity with a medical condition that can relate to many children who are confused and dismayed? I understand reading obviously isn't your strong suit, so I don't know if you will be able to comprehend what I am about to say but I shall attempt. It is obvious the EDITOR of this magazine must agree with the mother since he/she AGREED to post this on their website to support the idea... did I just freak your trip?

Second, telling her to get psychological counseling for her "obsession" she is trying to make her daughter happy with a simple "form letter" and not just her daughter but thousands of other children... did I just blow your mind?

To continue, telling her she is looking for a hang out for a, and I quote again, "form letter" that isn't going to be written by Nick himself, more likely someone on his staff and mailed to again thousands of children to bring a smile to their face.

Finally one more retort regarding the obsession, it probably took her less time to write that letter than it did for you to read it and write your pathetic response. What would Freud say about that, since you seem to have so much of a knowledge of the psychological field?

To conclude, I would like to say that I think its a very good idea that would make a lot of young children who have just received devastating news a little happier. The writer here isn't asking for free concert tickets but instead a 4 line e-mail. You know what, I'll write it for them:

Hey ,

Its Nick Jonas and I just heard about your diagnosis and wanted to tell you to hang in there and keep your head up. I have diabetes too and have been dealing with it for a long time now and want you to know everything is going to work out and it isn't the end of the world. I hope you are doing well!

- Nick Jonas

WOW wasn't that hard? What was that 90 seconds to write?

I hope you will take your ignorant child-hating trash talking away from this forum dedicated to helping children cope with rather devastating news.

Posted by no1rn on 21 July 2008

Check with the folks at OmniPod. Maybe they can do something the next time he is in town.

By-the-way, I haven't met Paul McCartney yet, but I do enjoy attending his concerts. The reality is that I never will, and that there are many people in my same situation. Growing is learning to deal with hopes, dreams and dissapointments. This is normal.

Kudos to such a dedicated mom. Reach for the stars, and who knows...they may reach back!

Posted by Diabetes Health Editor on 21 July 2008

A couple comments from Kristin Lund, Managing Editor.

1) Diabetes Health is charged with presenting balanced points of view and to stimulate discussion in the diabetes community. You should not assume we either agree nor disagree with what a letter to the editor states.

2) The picture accompanying this article is not the author's daughter but rather a generic image.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 July 2008

I really don't think it's fair what you want from him. Wouldn't all Nick Jonas fans (myself included) like a letter from him, sadly, that's probably not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I feel for you and your daughter, that has to be horrible. I just feel that it is uncalled for to say that you feel "let down" by Nick.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 July 2008

i don't think is what she said that was the problem, but how she said it. she could have been more honest or direct and ask if anyone could get her a letter from nick.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 July 2008

can we not call it a "disease"??? how about a "challenge"???
there's always someone trying to avoid reality.
it is a disease. it's called diabetes. if you have it, you are DIABETIC.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 July 2008

I believe these are the rantings of a mother who is more heart broken about her daughters diagnosis, than her daughter is. No parent wants to know that their child is sick, and could even die. It is a nightmare I wish on no one.

Also, are you the type of parent who lets the child always win in board games? Are you the parent who tells the child to not question authority, and to not form personal opinions? Are you that parent who keeps all the negative things in the world from your childs eyes? If so, I believe your daughter has more to worry about in the future than a fake letter from Nick Jonas.

She has nothing to look forward too, but let downs and failure!

Posted by Anonymous on 22 July 2008

I think you people should grow up and show the children that adults can be just that adults! Stop being so petty and childish with the stupid hateful comments.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 July 2008

Well first of all my 15 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 less than two months ago, i was reaching out to anyone i thought could help and support us.So i know what a dreadful feeling this is .I just wanted to say after reading some of these posts i cannt beleive how heartless and mean people are.I really feel sad that so many of you wrote these things to this lady ,that maybe just wanted someone to listen and not to get criticized .I thought this was a place to get support ,and for someone to just listen. I think if you dont have any thing good to say ,then dont say anything at all .

Posted by Anonymous on 24 July 2008

Hey Anonymous on July 22, 2008,

"Rantings of a mother," these are not rantings. This mother is obviously upset and frustrated with someone who makes her daughter feel at ease with her diagnosis. I would try as hard as I could to get in touch with Nick Jonas. If he just acknowledged this young girl once, I believe it would have nothing but a positive affect.

You have a very strong opinion that is stemming from some sort of past issues. I think maybe you never won at a board game. Maybe your parents never let you win, and you think others should be brought up the same way.

You are way out of line, and I hope your children do not end up as unhappy and screwed up as yourself!

Posted by Anonymous on 25 July 2008

My 17-year-old son was diagnosed with T1D 7 years ago. When I read this mother's letter, I instantly flashed back to the first year of fighting this illness. The emotions I felt at that time came flooding back. It is called "empathy". I'm not in her position anymore, but I remember all too well!

We don't hide from the word "diabetes" or "diabetic" ... but we have always tried to ensure that he isn't defined by it -- now he is a high school teenager with diabetes.

I agree that a short note from Jonas would help to encourage her daughter. It is a good suggestion for his fan club or staff to implement something like that. In the meantime, there are other suggestions in these responses that Mom and daughter can do together to take the initiative ... and I'll add one ... why not form an on-line chapter of his fan club for Type 1 diabetics like your daughter. Diabetes doesn't give you many opportunities to feel "in control" of things (although you realize as you go along that you are more in control than most non-diabetics) ... Actively doing something related to Jonas would be one way to fight that sense of powerlessness.

Posted by Jessie on 27 July 2008

Dear Kristen and/or Editor:
I'm so sorry that there are so many people who feel the need to tear you down. I have a diabetic 7 year old daughter, and I may be able to help. But I don't dare post contact info - please help me get in touch with Kristen. I am registered on this site and I give the site permission to release my email address to Kristen so she can contact me.
Thanks,
Jessie

Posted by Diabetes Health Webmaster on 27 July 2008

Jessie: You can contact Kristin or any of our staff using our contact form, at http://www.diabeteshealth.com/company/contact-us.html

Posted by Anonymous on 28 July 2008

I understand that your child is going through a rough patch of her life right now and trying to accept the fact that she has diabetes. But centering her motivation around a letter from Nick Jonas is ridiculous. I guarentee there are other celebrities who have diabetes on the down low- they are not making the effort to publicize their illness and make a difference to people who are going through the same thing. Instead of writing a letter to the editor about how you think Nick should write your daughter a letter... why dont you write a letter to Nick thanking him for relating to millions of people who are going through the same thing. Wish him good luck with his illness and help him get through it. Nick is a fifteen year old- going through so many changes, going city to city trying to inspire others. He is a musician, actor, brother, son and role model to so many people... I am sure he is devoting as much as his time to help those struggling with Type 1 as well. I understand that you would love your daughter to receive a letter from him because she can relate to him... but what about those kids who just broke up with their girlfriend/boyfriend (just like Nick/Miley)- do they deserve a computer generated letter to??? We need to be realistic- nobody told Nick Jonas to do all that he has done for the diabetic community. We should be thankful he has taken the time and effort to make the difference that he has. Best wishes.

Posted by Anonymous on 29 July 2008

I have type 2 diabetes and I'm a huge fan og the Jonas Brothers too but I never got a letter or got to meet him either. There are thousands of fans who have diabetes and your daughter isn't the only one who wants to meet him too...

Posted by Anonymous on 30 July 2008

Please send your daughter to a diabetes camp or get her into a support group so she can meet other diabetics her own age. I was diagnosed at 15 and didn't meet another diabetic until I was in my mid-20's. When I was a teen, I wanted to know if I was the only one sneaking Hershey bars and if taking shots hurt everybody else as much as it did me. I doubt a letter from a cute boy singer with diabetes would have answered my questions or helped me deal with my disease any better.

Patty

Posted by Anonymous on 31 July 2008

I am very disappointed in the negative comments here. My 11 year old son has type 1 diabetes and it is very difficult for him. He too would like to meet Nick Jonas. It is good for kids with diabetes to be able to connect with someone else who has the same diagnosis, especially with a celebrity. The people with negative comments have no idea what it is like to have a child with type 1 diabetes; it is heartwrenching to see your child have to deal with an adult disease. I have sent emails to the Jonas Brothers as well. I saw that they give ticket to kids with diabetes through the ameircan diabetes association for the cities they are performing in. I hope my son will be able to meet Nick or just get a letter from him. If people have nothing nice to say here they should keep their comments to themselves.

Posted by Anonymous on 1 August 2008

i dont care! nick jonas rocks and so what if he cant respond! im like THE BIGGEST FAN EVER and he never respondes to me at all! i have type 1. i know that he is on the road and all but he like never gets free time! try being him, lady!!!

Posted by Anonymous on 2 August 2008

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy nick has diabetes and he helps everyone so what more do u want from him?????????????????? HIS UNDERWE AR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous on 2 August 2008

L & G:

"If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all"

If a person tells about her disappointment and puts forward a few suggestions on how another diabetic can help people with the same condition, then these are welcome. If NJ were unwilling to help out in any way, he wouldn't mention his condition at all. As he does, I believe he cares about others.

And yes, perhaps to place the article under the prospective of disappointment it's a trifle hard, but if we of all people can't understand other's feelings -including frustration-, less we'll understand our own. And that disqualifies to pass judgment.

Posted by Anonymous on 3 August 2008

A simple letter??? Listen Lady, she doesnt even know about her!!!!!!!!! do you really think that Nick is going to write every little kid with diabeties??

Posted by Anonymous on 4 August 2008

omg...you know he is really busy and there are kids out there dying that was to meet him but sometimes they cant either so think about how selfish you sound in you letter!

Posted by Anonymous on 6 August 2008

I am hoping that I can relieve some of the stress felt by parents of children with Juvenile Diabetes. Below is a study by Joslin for those that have had JD for 50 years and have lead good lives...showing there are some that after 50 years with this issue have none of the complications. I am one of the 500/600 fifty year survivors, and also of the smaller group that have no complications. I am now going into the Joslin study in Boston Mass.. in hopes that through learning about my extremely full life, my lifestyle, adventures I have traveled and my genes will help them find "The Cure" I am willing to do all that is neccessary to help them because since 1958 I have been there, done that.. and remember how it affected my parents in those barbaric days. ****************************************** The Joslin Diabetes Center has undertaken a study of patients who have survived with type 1 Juvenile Diabetes for more than 50 years. There are likely to be only about 500 to 600 individuals in the United States who have been so fortunate. Some of them, have not developed complications. Their records are an important part of the study, so all attention to detail may pay off in ways that might help others. It is important to learn what has protected these people because that knowledge could contribute to the search for a cure. All in all, there is no question that we all appreciate the efforts and devotion of everyone afflicted with Juvenile Type 1 diabetes. ************************************** AnnetteUK

Posted by AnnetteUK on 6 August 2008

re my previous post: First may I state that my heart truly aches for all parents whose child/children have been diagnosed with JD and secondly may I take the liberty of saying to the children that.. you are not alone in this journey and you can rule your life.. not the JD rule yours. God bless you all.. after 50 years I attend all Search for The Cure of JD walks/rallies and introduce myself to JD kids and their parents with my life story ... and what I have attained... :) AnnetteUK

Posted by Anonymous on 7 August 2008

I was diagnosed with Type I at age 15. I am about to turn 40. I have two children and my life is GREAT. I have no signifficant problems that are diabetes related. I have a problem with some high blood sugars at night but have really got a handle on it.

Advise....
Buy lots of test strips and test your BSL 6+ times a day. Eat variety of foods. Get your carbs in the morning and mucho protein at dinner. Snack often on fruity veggi stuff. Feel free to e-mail me at abrams87@verizon.net is you have any questions.

I have found that, after 24 years with Diabetes, there is much that i know about the disease that doctors without diabetes could not know. You don't have to look toward a teen idol for advise. Talk to someone who has liver with type I for as many years. I will also say that my personal relationship with Christ has helped me along the way. I have also survived sepsis and cancer, both of which were not diabetes related.

E

Posted by Anonymous on 7 August 2008

Annette,

Wow...... Gimme the diet secrets. I still have 25 years to join your group. I have had it since 1985, no problems thus far.

E

Posted by Anonymous on 8 August 2008

I don't want to sound harsh to this mother, but diabetes isn't the only illness that exist in this world. I was born with neurofibromatosis. Diabetes equates to a broken nail, compared to what I have.

I however realize that there are millions of people with diseases and it isn't a celebrities prerogative to make automated letters to every person whom has a disease.

If Nick Jonas did this, or approved someone to do the job for him, then it would be only fair for everyone else with an illness to request a letter from him or any other illness out there.

Nick is a kid with diabetes, but also a celebrity.
and chasing after his attention is like waiting for rain in a drought.
Your daughter will soon find out that he might be the center of attention to most teenagers, but she isn't the center of attention in Nick's eyes. He has millions of fans whom would love a letter from him, and millions with illnesses who would justify receiving one.

Like I said, I understand that you would want what seems like nothing in order to see your daughter happy...but what you're asking for is only setting your daughter up for disappointment.

By the way, you say you aren't disappointed in what Nick has done, yet the title here says "Mother disappointed in Nick Jonas"?
Chances are he wont read this, nor ever find out who your daughter is. He wont ever know I exist. and I have a horrendous illness. I learned to depend on my family, which are like you..kind and loving.

In the end, she will need your support more than a fake support letter from a celebrity she will grow out of.

and I pray for you and her to get through this.

Posted by Anonymous on 9 August 2008

How can you people say such things! Her daughter has hopes and dreams just like girls everywhere, all her mother wants is a single note. It must not be easy to have diabetes...

Posted by Anonymous on 10 August 2008

I wish you well in your quest for a simple form letter. I know that I wouldn't want to crush hope in ANY child's life let alone one that is struggling with a life changing disease (whether it's diabetes or anything else). HOPE is what keeps us going whether it's hope for a cure or hope for a letter.

As a 9 year old I wrote two letters: one to Olivia Newton-John and the other to Jim Davis, creator of Garfield. It took a long time to get a letter back from Jim Davis (more than a year) -- I framed the letter and it hung in my bedroom until I graduated high school. I am positive that it is a form letter that I got back but it was still one of the coolest things I ever got in the mail.

I never got one back from Olivia. It didn't stop me from hoping that somehow I'd still get a letter from her even though we moved several times after I sent my letter. I did get to see her in concert, finally, when I was 33.

With a multitude of communication options and a celebrity that is so willing to reach out to his fans, especially those with diabetes, it is not unreasonable to think that perhaps, someday, she might get a form letter or email.

Posted by Anonymous on 10 August 2008

It pretty much sounds like thats exactly what your looking for. There are millons of girls out there who dream of meeting Nick Jonas, just like your daughter. Just because he can write and meet every little girl out there doesnt mean you should be disapointed in him.

I pray for you and your daughter to get through this, but I dont see why your disappointed in him.

Do you know how busy he is. Im sure he would be happy to talk to your daughter about what theyre both going through and give her hope, but do you know how many little kids have diabetes (cancer, ect.) who look up to him?! he cant talk to everyone.

again, i cant even imagine what your going through, and i pray for you. but dont be disappointed in Nick. hes being a positive influence on your daughter and you should appreciate that.

Posted by Anonymous on 11 August 2008

this mother isn't at all pushy!
by some miracle, i was able to meet nick for about 5 seconds at one of his shows. i told him how much i'd appreciated all he's done, and he genuinely cares.
its not as if nick would be personally sending a letter to all of the children with diabetes. it would be something he wrote that gets mass produced and sent all over. i think its a great idea, because he really is a role model.
obviously he's a busy guy, but this isn't a bad idea at all! so Better Cell, no one here needs any mental help. her daughter isn't obsessed with him, EVERYONE wants to meet the jonas brothers! so stop being so self centered. you probably have no idea what its like to have diabetes so i wouldn't say anything unless you've struggled with it like we have.

Posted by Anonymous on 11 August 2008

Most famous people never see any of their fan mail, they hire people to take care of it.

Posted by Anonymous on 12 August 2008

Hey, i understand where you're coming from, but the Jonas Brothers are one of the busiest musical groups right now. They'd love to meet you daughter, but give them time to get around to it.

Posted by Anonymous on 12 August 2008

nick is just hot that is all i have to say.: )

Posted by Mickey on 12 August 2008

Did your daughter have anybody else to look up to for this? Did you expect her to look up to you instead?

Posted by Anonymous on 15 August 2008

I am a 42 year old mom who also is a diabetic. I think you should show your daughter how positive you can be instead of bashing Nick Jonas. Your daughter is watching your every move. A better aproach would be to explain to your daughter what a positive influence she can be to other kids. Maybe she can set up a web site to help other kids who are diabetes. My daughter begged for tickets to the Jonas brothers concert, but I explained to her that in life, you can not always get what you want and we learn and live with life we are given. We are all blessed in many ways, try to look at the positive. Explain to her how good it is that Nick is showing how life can be great even when facing a hardship. As parents we all mess up at one time or another. Brush yourself off, pick yourself up and try again. Please do not take these comments as negative. As we all have made mistakes at one time or another. Be blessed.

Posted by Anonymous on 19 August 2008

Nick Jonas has started a web blog, apparently about his life with diabetes. Maybe that is something your daughter would be interested in reading. Please don't judge him too harshly. I think he is very brave and mature to step forward and publically deal with his diabetes. My son who is twelve and been diabetic since he was nine would probably not want to be so forthcoming about something so personal, and he is my hero.
It's very normal for a young girl your daughters age to fantasize about meeting a hearthtrob - millions of other girls are doing it too, and really, it is ok if it never happens - I had my own fantasies about Shaun Cassidy and Donnie Osmond way back when.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 August 2008

I think it would be nice if Nick Jonas could write a letter and personally sign it and send to all those poor and sufferring kids with diabetes. It doesn't have to be fancy. Just something to cheer up a young kid with diabetes. Lots of kids and teens (even parents) look up to you Nick! It's just a little favor to help kids in need. Thanks for all you do already!! Christina

Posted by Anonymous on 22 August 2008

I am a diabetes educator (not a parent of a child with diabetes), but remember that your children hear your worries and fear.
Try the approach of diabetes will make everyone healthier and it is an inconvenience. I can't imagine the responsibility on a daily basis, but these kids are amazing and resilient. Give them your encouragement and good luck with your journey!

Posted by Anonymous on 26 August 2008

Personally i can't believe u would be "disapinted" in him
do u no how busy he is.
i bet that if he could do what your trying to say he would.
he isnt just sitting around the house lookng at the emails saying "nope im not gonna reply cuz i want people to be disapointed in me"
liek give him a break
your child isnt the only one wiht diabetes.
there are millions of diabetic people suffering a lot more out there trying to get a hold of of nick.
he is one person. Just liek you and me. would liek to send out millions of letter when your one of the most busiest people in the world?
yea didnt htink so.
you should happy with all Nick has done for you daughter so ffar.
u should be pleased not disapointed.
k thanks.
buh bye.
and u mioght wanna seek some help if its that bad :)

Posted by Anonymous on 27 August 2008

wow,
how pathetic is this,
liek i hate to break it too you, but he has a life, and no offence your daughter isn't the only one that has diabetes.
like he doesn't sit around and say wow that girl doesn't deserve it,
she doesn't deserve an email from me, hes living his dream,
and he doesn't have time to write hand written letters to every child with diabetes im sorry if you think im being rude and " dissapointing" like that's not fair to him, he gives million of dollars yearly to diabetes foundations. he knows what its like.
and i dont think its fair, he would be destroyed if he read this, how could you do that to a boy who has done so much for your daughter, did her not give her faith to believe in herself.

thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on 5 September 2008

Kristen - as a new mom, I commend you. If we read your letter carefully, your disappointment is not about Nick Jonas personally -- but more about not being able -- as a loving mom -- to do the one simple thing that will make your child joyful during one of the hardest years of her life (and yours). So you put a call out to the diabetes community -- through this posting -- to see if anyone could help you with this simple request.

Just wanted you to know that there are some of us out here trying to help you -- we want to get you that simple letter so you can see pure and umblemished JOY on your child's face.

Will it cure her diabetes? Nope - and it won't cure her bad days either. She'll still have those "ugh" moments and so will you. But it sure will give her -- and you -- something to smile about when she's low!

Posted by Anonymous on 7 September 2008

Nick has a webpage, its for diabetes support
its called http://www.nickssimplewins.com/
you might be able to get a hold of him there, its direct contact with him, but it might be hard because alot of people try, but its worth a shot. You also might be able to win, so your daughter can meet him, its for diabetes walk.
Good Luck!

Posted by Anonymous on 18 September 2008

I have an 11 year old granddaughter with Type 1 diabetes, the mother wasn't at all pushy, she manages with her daughter diabetes eveyday. We do all we can to make her life a new normal after 6 years with diabetes and watching Disney and seeing kids with diabete go back stage after a concert to meet Nick. We thought it would be her experience to do something different. We bought the tickets., sent all the emails, made all the calls, and had no response. A form letter in this day or email is not to much to expect. (when it is made to sound so possible to children), if it isn't just don't say it. I wish Nick the best. I am not xure reading the letters of the above who were so critical of the mother, if they have a chold with diabetes, the chold has no obsession she is a chold with diabetes, just like any other, who thought she was had a connection with a star.

Posted by Anonymous on 26 September 2008

Hay Nick,
I have type1 diabetes. I am 13yeras old and had diabetes since Jan. 2006. I thought it would be hard. It is hard,but now I seen you and so many other people have diabetes I thought that I could control it. Also, I think it is cool that you told all your fans that you had diabetes. I could never have done that. Nick, I think it is cool because a lot of kids with and without look up at you and your brother.I love the songs Year 3000 and SOS. Thanks for helping me out.
Just that little girl from NJ

Posted by Anonymous on 1 October 2008

That is not right! Your daughter should know!

Posted by Anonymous on 5 October 2008

In ways many people are unaware of, the Jonas family is doing a number of kind things for children with diabetes. They made an hour appearance at a Verizon store nearby. I took my 5 and 10 year olds out to see them. (My 5yr. old son is diabetic.). Only 500 were allowed in for the meet and greet and we were too late. I asked a store employee about simply taking one picture so my son could have it. Explained he was diabetic and Nick was so cool to him. We were told to wait a few minutes and the gal came back with special ID's for the kids and placed BOTH of them in a VIP line where they talked at length with all three brothers AND their mom. We were able to take pictures and got autographs. The Jonas family does do a lot for others and I commend them!!!

Posted by Anonymous on 18 October 2008

i understand this but
he doesnt have time to.
he famous and he's busy alot.
you just got to be really lucky to get a letter from nick.
im sorry he doesnt have time.

but maybe someday
you might get a letter from him.
or you might not.
you never know what could happen.
and any ways all its going to be is a crush.
then she'll move on to another guy celebrity like zac efron or jesse mccartney.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 October 2008

You really need to chill out ok? Nick is out there helping those who have diabetes to understand it better so that they won't freak out over it. It sounds to me that you're keeping your daughter from what is a part of her life.

Posted by Anonymous on 10 November 2008

Listen, you just need to tell your daughter that Nick Jonas is a very busy kid. He has tons of other problems to worry about. Tons of other kids have diabetes out there and you don't think that they want to meet Nick also or get a recognition from him, of course they do. Who wouldn't. I mean he is Nick Jonas. But if it was meant to be, they he will write you a letter. Just be patient and remember that there are a lot of kids out there with diabetes. It's not just your daughter who has it. Thanks for reading and I hope I helped.

Posted by Anonymous on 11 November 2008

Kristin it is a challenge when a love one has been diagnosed with a disease. However, let's be a bit realistic in this situation. Not EVERYTHING we want will come our way. Remember, there have been other children before your daughter who were Dx with diabetes and they did not have a role model to look up to and they turned out fine. Explain to your daughter that sometimes we are not able to obtain our wants and desires. What is important is to have belief in God and have the family support to help over comes obstucles faced in our lives. Best wishes to you and your daughter.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 November 2008

Anytime you put faith in one person, or rely on one person to fulfill your needs, you set yourself up for disappointment. Nick is a human being and has a life of his own apart from the public eye. Our society has become wrapped up in the lives of famous people to the point of obsession, thinking these people can help us and be a source for our happiness.

I have two children with type 1 diabetes, ages 3 1/2 and 10; the 10-year-old just being diagnosed last month. I haven't the time for support groups and the like, but because of the involvement in thier care, I have become their main support. Friends and family also are very supportive.

I guess my point is, one does not need a rock-star diabetic for support and sympathy when there is a strong support of friends and family. Children need to understand that the world won't change because they have diabetes and won't necessarily bend over backwards to accomodate them. They are the ones who will have to make the change and their loved ones are the ones to help them get through these tough times.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 November 2008

come on..
i, like you, would like to receieve a letter from nick jonas.. i mean really he's TOO bussy
you shouldn't say that about him and joe and kevin, beacuse if you know them your really understand what they've been doing this part year.. it's non stop

i support the jonnas brothers 100% i think they'r doing THE BEST they can

TEAM JONAS

Posted by Anonymous on 23 November 2008

? if it is so important for your daughter to receive a letter from nick or you think that it will help her cope why not just who cares if it is actually from him she is 9 and will not really know so just throw a logo or something at the top of an email and say whatever you think will help her...kinda like santa we all know he dosent exist but kids love it and feel good when they get a letter from him

Posted by daibetesboy on 5 December 2008

I have diabetes and am 11 and I would like to say that the mom in question is the needyist person I have never met befor. She needs to SUCK IT UP AND STOP WHINING

Posted by Anonymous on 7 December 2008

okay so i am really sorry for your daughter and everything but nick jonas is a big star every person wants to meet him not just people with diabetes.

so if you really want to meet him try to
1.win a contest
2.go to a concert and try to win a meet and greet.

and im sure if you meet him you won't be "disappointed" in him anymore because he's a great young man.

Posted by kindly on 6 January 2009

miss, I think your situation is sad and I would like your daughter to have her dream. If you are looking for a way of making this come true and I could get you that E-mail for you daughter. I'm only 12 but making this happen would make her day!

Posted by Anonymous on 29 January 2009

thats redicluous. hes a pop star he doesnt have time for people like you!

Posted by Anonymous on 8 February 2009

I came across this forum because I am a 30 yr old first-year medical student who has recently been diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I am frustrated because I have always been a thin healthy individual and my diagnosis came out of the blue. I guess my perspective is a little different because mention of the disease comes up daily in many of my classes. I hear about it every day- even when I don’t want to! Plus, learning about the potential complications on a complex level is only making this transition into medical school and being recently diagnosed all the more scary for me.

That being said............I am amazed at some of the ridiculous and mean spirited comments on this forum.

This poor mom merely made a wonderful suggestion about brightening the lives of kids who are facing some scary challenges. I enjoyed the post from the person who took 90 seconds to compose a generic email. Really, let’s be honest, we all know celebrities have fan clubs. Why would anyone think that a generic letter or email (it's free!) is such a burden? I thought it was such a wonderful suggestion. And don’t forget, it was merely a SUGGESTION. Why are people jumping down her throat? GEEZ. This mom is clearly not looking for any "handouts". It's a shame people misinterpreted that. Although I think those responses were more out of mean-spiritedness. I also suspect that most of those comments were composed by young fans. I can't for the life of me imagine a grown person actually writing these things!!!

For those who have diabetes (and their families)-we can do this! Diabetes can be controlled and we can take charge and live a full and normal life.

Anyway, I wish everyone well, and hope that everyone finds the family and community support that they need and deserve.

-1st year medical student,
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Class of 2012

Posted by Anonymous on 23 February 2009

Dear Mom:
You are entitled to your feelings and thoughts. I am not a Mom of a diabetic child, but a Mom with diabetes. Had it since I was 17. I have a 13-year old son, so I do understand the parent part of always wanting to protect/love support your child.

What I might add, is that in your part to support her, you may want to point her to role models of women/girls with diabetes. Not just celebrities, but people who live daily with it. Many are here on this webpage. And the good news is, we are here to support her and you too.

Cheers,
Jodi

Posted by Anonymous on 19 March 2009

when i was diagnosed 35 years ago there was no internet like this my parents didn't have the support network like this at all they couldn't look up stuff on line they had a primary dr tell them to practice on an orange and they try on me i still till this day remember all of this i was only 6 at the time i have two beautiful daughters 18mos and 6 years so far neither one has diabetes and i hope they never get it, diabetes didn't run in my family either no one else had it i still am the flag carrier i call it but i never really looked up to any stars only mary tyer moore but i looked at my parents for putting up with learning from nothing how to cope with my illness and how to deal with the highs and lows in and out of the hospital and who was to blame my mom blamed herself for many years but we will never know i think my body just didn't like the cells and decided to kill them off..lol i think people need to vent but not hurt this mom she is just trying to help her daughter in the only way she can by helping her get through this disease. just remember be there and listen to your daughter work with her she will have her good and bad days she has it a lot better then those of us who have diabetes for over 30 years so much has changed for the better in everything medicine, stuff you can eat nutra sweet..lol they have so much more for these kids now even nick...god bless and good luck, keep praying for a cure they have one its just getting it really started...

Posted by Anonymous on 26 March 2009

okay,to the mom.

i'm 19 years old and the jonas brothers are my favorite band.i've seen them in concert many times,entered contest and the whole shabang.and have not even come close to meeting them,or even hearing from them.

your best bet is to get your daughter into a jonas brothers online fan chat,they have them every so often.and they read questions and comments.

let your daughter tell nick in the live chat.

hope this helps.

-shannon.

Posted by NickJonasGurl33789 on 31 March 2009

Posted by Anonymous on 28 April 2009

Okay, this whole thing is neurotic. You just coming on here to say how much you want your daughter to meet Nick is kind of selfish, and do you think Nick is going to want to write let alone meet your daughter now? You don’t sound supportive of Nick at all, and you daughter is not the only child out there with this terrible disease. Nick barely has time to sleep let alone hand write you a letter. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself and your daughter why don’t you try supporting her, and not promising her something you can’t necessarily give her. I know diabetes is hard to deal with, and I know a letter from Nick would brighten her day, but keep letting her know that if Nick had time to write to everyone of his fans then he wouldn’t be able to do the thing that he loves, making music, and performing every night. And then there wouldn’t be the Jonas Brothers, and what would the world be without them. And I’m sorry to hear that your daughter had been diagnosed, just hold on, you should look in to see if you town has a diabetes support group for kids her age, maybe being with kids her age that also have the disease will help her.

Posted by Anonymous on 23 May 2009

"Hi Nick it'z me Netanya.Well 4 starterz i mite have diabetez or i have diabetez and i dont no about it.Pleaze help me.Oh here iz my cell numbr so u kan kaul me ok.My cell numbr iz 310-4630.Thankz 4 being a wundurful person.And i will b praying 4 u and ur family every single day ok.And i hope nuthing happenz 2 u or ur family on da tour.Or u kan email me ok.Godbless u guyz.And Nick neva 4get 2 check ur blude ok.I am so HAPPY 4 u guyz.I am HAPPY bkauze u guyz wun da Kids'Choice Awards.Anywho godbless u guyz and have a safe and wundurful tour.I du knot want anythang happing 2 u guyz ok.BYE Luv ur # 1 fan with/without diabetez I luv u and ur family.and say "Hi" 2 ur bruthur Frankie ok BYE guyz I luv u" 1. HOW THE HELL DO YOU MAYBE HAVE DIABETES. 2. THATS NOT NICK JONAS, THATS A MOTHER OF SOME GIRL. 3. TYPE LIKE A NORMAL PERSON. MORON.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 May 2009

for those of you who think the parents who want nick as a role model for their children with or without diabetes need to get over themselves,you are very wrong.the people who are saying these negetive things about nick jonas,you probably don't have to live with it every day of your life.unless you know exactly what these people are going through,you need to butt out.im not saying you can't have your own opinion.everyone is entitled to their own opinion.but unless you are going through what the jonas family and millions of other people around the world are going through,then just keep it to your self because nick has to be very brave to not only be a young 16 almost 17 year old trying to balance being a teen pop/rock sensation and a regular teenager trying to cope with an incurable disease but he went public with it.so if you have something negative to say about it please keep it to YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by elgaralex on 30 June 2009

When the Jonas Bros. come to your city contact your local JDRF chapter. Tell them that your child has juvinille diabetes and would like to meet Nick Jonas.
They will set up a meet and greet. He meets with a tremendous amount of kids with diabetes before and after the concert.

Posted by Anonymous on 30 June 2009

First of all i wish you and your family best of luck..... but Nick Jonas cannot possibly write everyone child with diabetes a letter of hope!! He is a teenager with a crazy life of school and touring the world and dealing with type 1 himself! I know how you feel because i have type 1 diabetes myself and i am 16 years old and a huge fan of the Jonas Brothers aswell, they have such a possitive attitude!! and your daughter does not need a reenforcement from nick jonas himself all she needs to do is look at him and say "wow he manages his so well and still has a normal life. He did not let down his dreams of being a musician" That is how I realized I will still be able to have a normal life i just have to check my levels everyday... and I have to be a role model for those who cant find hope.

I hope this was helpful. I do not mean to be rude in any way but i just want your daughter to realize she doesnt need a letter from nick jonas to live her life all she needs is to watch how he copes and others and how they cope with living with diabetes.

Heather

Posted by Anonymous on 25 August 2009

You should already know that he is so busy. Though he is helping the diabetic community. He testified in June. He also went to a lunch and gave a speech at the National Press Club.

However you're right it would be easy tp just set up an email acount and send an autoreply to everyone who emails it.

As for letting your daughter meet Nick Jonas the easiest way would probably be to participate in diabetes activity(I don't know what I'm not a diabetic, though I know alot about diabetes sice I'm obsessed with Nick J. and I have a diabetic cousin. Hr has a blog on nickssimplewins.com. As I understand he also has an express your simple win contest so each month a winner or winners will be given a chance to meet him. I'm sorry I don't know the details of the contest.

I love Nick Jonas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex, 12

Posted by Anonymous on 17 October 2009

I am a 15 year old and Nick Jonas is a huge inspiration to me. I wear a bracelet that says JDRF. I personally support Nick Jonas because he is a huge part of my life because I love him so much, and I love the Jonas Brothers. Are you trying to say that you are mad at Nick Jonas because of your daughters diagnosis? I have a 82% chance of getting diabetes and I am still staying strong. You should explain to your daughter what it is. Give support to the Jonas Brothers Change for the Children Foundation. On of the charities is The American Diabetes Foundation! Please know that Nick is a great voice for Diabetes and that he is just 17 years old, he should be honored!

Posted by Anonymous on 23 November 2009

The Jonas Brothers have been too busy for the past two years. They can only get a certain amout of time to reply to people

Posted by Anonymous on 23 November 2009

i am 13 and i am diabetic and it would be nice if nick would be able to tell us that it is not that bad as i get quite upset .

Posted by Anonymous on 3 January 2010

I'm only 15 so if you don't want to hear what I have to say then scroll down to the next comment.

I am a HUGE fan of the Jonas Brothers. Nick is amazing, he tours, he has a tv show, he is in movies, he has chores, he has school, he promotes the awareness of Type 1. Also he just started touring with Nick Jonas & The Administration. I'm not trying to be harsh but seriously? What more can you expect from a 17 year old???? And diabetes isn't something you should be "crushed" by, your daughter has been given the because the big guy upstairs feels she can hanlde it, because she is strong. Nick also wrote "A Little Bit longer" about his diabetes. its a message saying "to be strong and just a little bit long it'll a be ok"

And since u belong to Team Jonas, then she has the opportunity to enter a meet and greet contest. So please don't be let down and don't say your disappointed. He is trying his best. So please.

Posted by Anonymous on 4 January 2010

Join Team Jonas.
That's how all his fans meet him.

Posted by Anonymous on 4 January 2010

I am sorry to say, but you are expecting too much. I understand the longing to please a sick little girl, but Nick Jonas is an extremely busy person. Of course he loves hearing from other kids with type one diabetes, and he carries around special picks to hand out to fans he meets that are also effected by the disease. But he can't reach out to EVERY child who has Diabetes. He has also reached thousands, possibly millions of fans with it, but of course there will always be more who he has not met. You need to realize just HOW busy he is and just how many diabetic fans he has. I'm sure Nick would meet every single one of them if he could. But the truth is that just can't happen. Don't give up faith in Nick, he's a great person who is working hard to raise awareness about Juvenile diabetes.

Posted by TultuptDapFum on 27 November 2010