Keeping Up with the Jonas’s

Nick’s Dad Writes About His Son’s Daily Struggle with Diabetes

It isn’t easy having diabetes.

Aug 5, 2008

TeenMusic.com recently published comments by Kevin Jonas, Sr., the father of teen music idols The Jonas Brothers, about 15-year-old Nick Jonas’s daily struggles with type 1 diabetes. Kevin Jonas, Sr., said he’s unhappy that people think diabetes is no big deal just because it’s “maintainable.”

Read the full story.

Categories: Diabetes, Diabetes, Nick Jonas, Type 1 Issues

• What's on the Horizon with Diabetes Research and Therapy

Comments

Posted by HayleyW on 5 August 2008

I completly agree with Mr. Jonas! I am 18 yrs old and I am also a type 1 diabetic. I wear a pump and no one seems to understand why I wear it. Everytime that I am low, people don't understand how important it is that I get something to eat or drink. When I pull out a needle, I can only imagine the thoughts running through peoples heads. I try to test my bllod sugar without people seeing, but sometimes that can't be done and I get strange looks. Or when something goes wrong with my insulin pump, and I tell someone that I have to go change everything, I always seem to get the same response. "Why can't you do it later?" or "It can wait." I have to do it then and no it can't wait.

People sometimes think that just because diabetes can be managed, that it is not a serious illness. However the truth is, diabetes is a very serious thing. We can take care of it but we have to manage it very very closly and not let it slip our minds once.

Posted by samantha on 6 August 2008

My brother Stephen contacted type 1 diabetes in 1995 at age 8. When he arrived at the hospital when he first got sick his blood sugar was 1500.Through the years Stephen's blood sugar levels have been extremely unstable, resulting in many visits back to the hospital. Stephen has never came to terms accepting his diabetes and feels resentful that he has this condition. His mood swings and acting out is a strain on the whole family.Please let me know of any help we can get for my brother stephen. I am 14 teen years old I am a big fan of the Jonas Brothers I know how Nick Jonas feels because my brothers has it. Thank You Samantha

Posted by robtype1 on 7 August 2008

My son robbie was diagnosed in june of 2006 with type 1 diabetes. Since I found out about Nick Jonas having diabetes everytime I watch Disney channel I am always looking so close at Nick to see if I can see any sign of a pump on him and watching every move he makes to see how his body reacts to the diabetes. To me it looks like diabetes doesn't have anything on him at all. Which is how it is with my son Robbie. Robbie is 7 yrs old now; he can give himself his own shots and is learning slowly how to count his carbs. This Diabetes really takes a family togetherness to deal with it and if it wasn't for my mom; Robbie's grandma; I really don't know how I could do it. Especially since Robbie's dad lives in Nebraska and doesn't help out at all with anything pertaining to Robbie's diabetes.
One thing I would like to see from the Jonas Brothers on their "Living the Dream" tour show is for them to talk about how Nick deals with his diabetes on the road and what kinds of healthy foods the family eats to help him control the diabetes for the insulin shots. This is the problem I am having with my son Robbie is figuring out what different kinds of foods that he can eat. The doctor just told us we needed to count his carbs and try to stay away from sugary foods; so that is what we are doing.
I have had to restrict Robbie's father's visitation from going out of the state of Texas with him because he was giving Robbie too many carbs and too much insulin; this was for Robbie's health. Anyway, I am glad that this article was finally written so us ordinary people do not feel like we are the only ones that feel so frustrated at hearing how managible and maintainable diabetes is.
Because one day you may have blood sugars in the 100s all day long then the next two weeks the blood sugars are running in the 200s and 400s and your calling your doctor and they say well lets try upping the night time insulin and that doesn't work then they try upping the carbs and the humalog/novolog and see what that does. Or they may say give it a chance to work when you want it to work right away. I don't know about anyone else but after calling my son's doctor so many times I can predict what she will say before I can get a chance to talk to her on the phone and usually I am right on with what she would say. So I don't call her as much anymore if I don't have to. I keep a record of my son's bg readings for about 2 weeks and then make copies and run them up to her office. I took my son to the doctor on July 21st and his A1C test was 7.1% compared to last time in April it was 7.9%. I was happy, but the doctor wanted it between 7.4% and 8%.
Anyway, my son is doing great and loves the Jonas Brothers. He says his favorite one is Joe; but I like them all. Keep us informed on how Nick is doing we love to hear and know we are not alone in this world with Type 1 Diabetes. Thank you Robtype1's mom

Posted by Anonymous on 7 August 2008

I live with the very real side of diabetes everyday. In 1987 when I was 19 I became very sick out of nowhere. Getting up at 100 in the afternoon back asleep by 400 pm. My blood sugars were up and down for years. My low blood sugars caused the most concern. Everyday was a problem. It was just 2006 when I began seeing a diabetes specialist in Germany. He has me taking several shots a day. The thing is at first this did not make me happy. The thing is now I take a shot with every meal. The low blood reactions have stopped. Now I am leading a "normal" life so to speak. The blood sugar still goes low but no more blood sugar reactions. He has me matching carbohydrates to insulin. The blood sugars still move a little high or a little low. It is a situation I can live with though. The bad thing I wish I had known this in 1987. It would have saved me years of horrifying blood sugar reactions. My sister became a type 1 diabetic at 9 years old. She died in 1996 the age of 38. She was 5 days short of her 39th birthday. The problem was not being able to accept she was diabetic. I tried to help her but she continued to live life a non diabetic. This is what can happen when your diabetes is not managed over your life. Everyday I thank the gods for being able to live with my diabetes now. It is bad I had to come to Germany to be able to do this. The many doctors I seen in the states did not help me. All I got was lame excuses but no help with a solution. That is all I can say is to accept diabetes. You cannot fight it only live with it. Everyday I read about people struggling with diabetes. If maybe just one tried the carbohydrates to insulin. They would most likely see an improvement. It is at least 5 shots a day for me. I figure 5 shots a day or living a life of insulin reactions.

Posted by Anonymous on 8 August 2008

This issue drives me crazy! When people say, "Oh, no big deal, then" when hearing about my diabetes, it's even worse than people being overly sympathetic! No big deal? OK, so I guess pricking my finger all the time is no big deal, then! And glugging 3 juice boxes and eating a whole packet of graham crackers when I'm low until I feel like vomiting, because my BG WILL NOT come up is no big deal either. And it's no big deal when your insulin pump fails at camp hours from home and you have to trudge up a 3/4 mile hill to the nurse's lodge every time you eat something, I guess...

Posted by Anonymous on 8 August 2008

I think that Type 1 Diabetes is very very under-rated by the American public.....it is a very serious disease! I don't think that type 1 and type 2 should even have the same name.

I see all of this research on eating patterns, family history, etc.... more funding should be spent educatating the general public about the seriousness of this dreadful diasase.....

I can only hope the Jonas family will continue to step up to the plate and raise money for a cure and educate the general public.

Thank you for listening.

Posted by Rachel~i on 8 August 2008

I am 16 and have type 1 also. Someone mentioned earlier about "Living the Dream" series and actually today's episode is about Nick and how he copes with Diabetes. Another aspect I want to shine light on is that Nick recently started a blog about Diabetes. The website is nickssimplewins.com. Everyone should visit it! Thanks Nick.

Posted by whimsy2 on 8 August 2008

The good thing is that he DOES test 12 times a day. It's not as though poking hurts, it doesn't. It's just a darned nuisance. I'm speaking as a longtime type 1 who tests 10x a day with A1Cs well under 6.5 and no complications. Because he does test this often, he's likely able to keep on top of his BGs and make necessary adjustments to his insulin dosage. Much better than ignoring the whole thing and reaping the consequences of poor BG control down the road, for sure.

Posted by Tfor3 on 11 August 2008

I am a parent of 2 young children with Type I. I remember the hardest thing for us was when people seemed to think it would be easier when our youngest got it because we "already knew what to do." We felt like saying, "We have enough thank you, why don't you have a turn." Now we don't get angry so much as we dismiss them as not understanding what it really takes. Nothing is harder than seeing your children struggle and it is so hard knowing that until there is a cure it will not end. My husband has been Type I for over 30 years and he is now on pump therapy which helps his health in the long run, but it takes a lot to micro manage at that level all day long. Doing it for two youngsters who refuse to eat or want to eat every thing makes for a lot of challenges. Our best to you as you deal day in and day out for "a little bit longer".

Posted by Anonymous on 12 August 2008

I'm olny 11 and am at the point where I can have diabetes.I was shock when I herd Nick Jonas had diabetes.I think it's hard having diabetes because it's hard wachting what you have to eat and everything else.

Posted by TerriC. on 26 August 2008

I just read the article by the mom who is disappointed in Nick Jonas by not getting back to her daughter. Kristen, I could not have written the article better myself. I have been through all of the same routes as you. My daughter was diagnosed a year ago, is getting the Omnipod because of Nick, paid way too much for concert tickets. She and I have both tried to contact him through various sources including his new diabetes website where it invites other to blog. My family loves the Jonas Brothers - don't get me wrong - and everything newsworthy about them. Since it seems as though Nick is a frequently featured celebrity of Diabetes Health maybe he or someone close to him will read this and respond. My daughter thought that she finally had someone she could talk to who relates to what she is going through. but to her dismay that didn't work out for her. She is such a sweet, resilient, beautiful, full of life ten year old, I only wish the best for her always!

For those families dealing with this awful disease - keep caring and supporting one another - to the Jonas Brothers - keep bringing us great music!

Comment: