The Dangers of High Fructose Corn Syrup

Is This Disguised Sugar Affecting Your Diabetes?

This article was originally published in Diabetes Health in May, 2005.

One of the more popular aliases for sugar today is high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)—a corn-based sweetener that has been on the market since approximately 1970.

| Aug 21, 2008

You know how important it is to control the sugar and carbohydrates in your diet. So you read food labels and listen to your body cues to make sure you’re getting what you need to stay healthy.

But what happens when a manufacturer disguises sugar as something you don’t recognize?

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. In fact, one of the more popular aliases for sugar today is high fructose corn syrup (HFCS)—a corn-based sweetener that has been on the market since approximately 1970.

According to a commentary in the April 2004 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, between 1970 and 1990, the consumption of HFCS increased over 1,000 percent.

“HFCS now represents more than 40 percent of caloric sweeteners added to foods and beverages and is the sole caloric sweetener in soft drinks in the United States,” write George A. Bray, Samara Joy Nielsen and Barry M. Popkin, the authors of the commentary.

HFCS—It’s Here to Stay

Today, food companies use HFCS—a mixture of fructose and glucose—because it’s inexpensive, easy to transport and keeps foods moist. And because HFCS is so sweet, it’s cost effective for companies to use small quantities of HCFS in place of other more expensive sweeteners or flavorings.

For these reasons and others, HFCS isn’t going away any time soon.

That is why, to best manage diabetes, you need to know what HFCS is and how to identify it in products.

Understanding Glucose and Fructose

Since HFCS is a blend of glucose and fructose, it’s important to understand the role each plays in your body. All sugars, indeed all carbohydrates, have four calories per gram.

But that is just part of the story.

Glucose (dextrose) is a monosaccharide (basically, a simple sugar), which is the form of sugar that is transported in the blood and is used by the body for energy. This is what you measure when testing your blood glucose or blood “sugar.”

Fructose is also a monosaccharide and is often referred to as “fruit sugar,” because it is the primary carbohydrate in most fruits. It’s also the primary sugar in honey and half the carbohydrate in sucrose (table sugar). However, fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion or require insulin to be transported into cells, as do other carbohydrates.

What It Means to You and Your Diabetes

As a person with diabetes, you know how important it is to control your blood glucose and insulin levels to avoid complications. So, it would seem that a lack of glucose and insulin secretion from fructose consumption would be a good thing.

However, insulin also controls another hormone, leptin, so its release is necessary.

Leptin tells your body to stop eating when it’s full by signaling the brain to stop sending hunger signals. Since fructose doesn’t stimulate glucose levels and insulin release, there’s no increase in leptin levels or feeling of satiety. This can leave you ripe for unhealthy weight gain.

The Fate of Fructose in the Body

Fructose requires a different metabolic pathway than other carbohydrates because it basically skips glycolysis (normal carbohydrate metabolism). Because of this, fructose is an unregulated source of “acetyl CoA,” or the starting material for fatty acid synthesis. This, coupled with unstimulated leptin levels, is like opening the flood gates of fat deposition.

Should Fructose Be Eliminated From the Diet?

It’s not that you should eliminate fructose from your diet, but you should be aware of how much you’re consuming. After all, fructose is the primary sugar found in fruits, which provide valuable nutrients. In this case, a little fructose is fine. It becomes a problem only when someone consumes high levels of fructose or HFCS, which is now present in virtually all commercial foods (see below).

Check the Food Labels

While there is no way of knowing exactly how much HFCS is in a given product, you can read the food labels to gauge sugar levels. So, for example, if HFCS is one of the first ingredients listed (in soft drinks or syrup, for example), it is safe to assume there’s a lot in the product. If HFCS is in the products you buy, make sure it is either low on the ingredient list or that the products list very few total grams of sugar (which is how HFCS is shown on ingredient labels).

What Does It All Mean?

If HFCS is one of the first ingredients listed on a food label, don’t eat it. Make a mental list of the worst culprits, such as regular soft drinks and many highly sweetened breakfast cereals. HFCS alone won’t make you fat, but when HFCS is high on the ingredient list, the food is not the best choice. As part of a lifestyle that has many of us eating too much and moving too little, we’re putting our health at risk if we don’t choose our foods carefully.

So what’s the answer? It’s easy. Avoid HFCS by reading food labels and shopping the grocery store’s perimeter: Produce is on one side, seafood, meat and poultry on another, and dairy products, eggs and bread on the third. Avoid the center aisles, which are mostly stocked with highly processed foods.

The more you stick to fresh whole foods and avoid commercial and highly processed foods, the less HFCS you will consume.

Common Foods High in HFCS

• Regular soft drinks
  • Fruit juice and fruit drinks that are not 100 percent juice
  • Pancake syrups
  • Popsicles
  • Fruit-flavored yogurts
  • Frozen yogurts
  • Ketchup and BBQ sauces
  • Jarred and canned pasta sauces
  • Canned soups
  • Canned fruits (if not in its own juice)
  • Breakfast cereals
  • Highly sweetened breakfast cereals

Problems Caused by Too Much HFCS

• It can lead to higher caloric intake
  • It can lead to an increase in bodyweight
  • It fools your body into thinking it’s hungry
  • It increases the amount of processed foods you eat, thereby decreasing your intake of nutrient-dense foods
  • It may increase insulin resistance and triglycerides

Data Is Scarce . . . But Telling

Although data on humans is scarce, it does exist.

According to a study published in the October 2002 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, people who consumed 28 percent of their total calories from sucrose (half the carbohydrate in sucrose is fructose) as opposed to artificial sweetener had a higher caloric intake, body weight, fat mass and blood pressure after 10 weeks.

This is no mystery since higher caloric intake leads to greater weight gain. In the sucrose group, there was an increase of a little more than 400 calories, which would result in an approximate weight gain of almost seven pounds during the 10-week study if all other factors were constant. However, there was only about half that weight gain in this group. Therefore, the authors estimate that 48 percent of the excess energy intake from sucrose was used for other energy-demanding body processes, such as lipogenesis (the creation of fat).

To make matters worse, fructose consumption is tied to insulin resistance in rodents and increased triglyceride secretion (suggesting that it may have the same effect on humans, too). Considering that type 2 is a common co-morbidity of overweight and obesity, insulin resistance is common. Therefore, if fructose does, in fact, have the same insulin-resistant effect in humans as it does in rodents, individuals would be exacerbating the issue by consuming too much of it.

Categories: Blood Glucose, Diabetes, Diabetes, Diets, Food, Insulin, Nutrition Advice, Nutrition Research, Sugar & Sweeteners, Type 2 Issues

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 30 January 2008

very suprising, People are alerted and taught what they need to know, know they use their knowlegde!

Posted by Anonymous on 11 May 2008

New studies show that HFCS and table sugar are metabolised and cause the same amount of satiety and food intake. Avoid all sugar products, HFCS is just one of a bunch.

Posted by Anonymous on 12 May 2008

Posted by Anonymous on 13 May 2008

HFCS is worse for you than regular table sugar... plus, every average american eats more than 150 pounds of sugar a year. That's about a pound every 3 days.

Posted by Anonymous on 4 July 2008

My parents are both diabetics. My Mom went into a diabetic low a few weeks ago. I know this is caused by her not eating the correct foods and watching the foods she eats. I had a miserable time a few years ago and tracked it to the cause being HFCS. I avoided all foods and drinks that listed it on their labels. My problems began when I started drinking a green tea on the market (I won't mention the brand). Within one week I was completely back to normal. I have become a label reader. In regards to HFCS being (maybe) related to diabetic problems, I totally agree this is my parents problem. Thank you for publishing this article so I can share it with the ones I love.

Posted by Anonymous on 19 August 2008

>HFCS is worse for you than regular table sugar...

Nope, it isn't. Constant repetition of ignorant rhetoric doesn't make it true.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 August 2008

High fructose corn syrup, sugar, and several fruit juices all contain the same simple sugars.

New research continues to confirm that high fructose corn syrup is no different from other sweeteners. It has the same number of calories as sugar and is handled similarly by the body.

No credible research has demonstrated that high fructose corn syrup affects appetite differently than sugar.

Consumption of high fructose corn syrup has been dropping in recent years, yet the rates of obesity and diabetes in the United States continue to rise. Moreover, many other parts of the world have rising rates of obesity and diabetes, despite having little or no high fructose corn syrup in their foods and beverages.

Consumers can see the latest research and learn more about high fructose corn syrup at www.HFCSfacts.com and www.SweetSurprise.com.

Audrae Erickson
President
Corn Refiners Association

Posted by Anonymous on 22 August 2008

"HFCS is used in a lot of low fat, low sugar processed foods. Even in some products that are advertised as being healthy for you."

I used to choke down low fat and fat free stuff with HFCS, thinking it was healthy for me to avoid the fat. In reality, it was just making things worse.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 August 2008

HFCS may be related to the fatty liver deposits found in teens that have died prematurely.. Results confirmed by autopsy.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 August 2008

I have had type 2 for about 15 years and, on occasion, feel a bit like a mushroom. The medics and others keep me in the dark and feed me b******t. Good news on the article. It has been taken to heart

Posted by Anonymous on 23 August 2008

MIL tried to convince me that I could eat marshmallows by showing me the label said they were made with corn syrup instead of sugar. She said corn syrup was ok because it was healthy. Maybe she thinks corn is a vegetable.

Posted by wifey on 24 August 2008

Why is it then, that the manufacturers of nutritional drinks for diabetics use high fructose corn syrup to sweeten their product?
While in hospitals my diabetic husband was unable to eat, so he was given Boost four times a day. Boost, Ensure and Glucerna are also sweetened the same way. It's time these manufacturers were held accountable.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 August 2008

Very interesting. Thank you.
I would also recommend a fantastic book covering similar territory (and very readable) ... Greg Critser's "Fat Land".

Posted by Anonymous on 9 September 2008

Leave it to the Corn Refiners Association to refute the article saying there is no research, when in fact there is a lot. The article even noted some of the research.

When I can afford sugar-sweetened soft drinks (like Blue Sky) instead of the HFCS laden ones (Dr. Pepper and Pepsi), I always lose weight. When I switch over to sugar-sweetened drinks and make no other changes in diet or activity for a month, I lose 5-8 pounds. Now that gasoline, groceries and medical/Rx co-pays have all gone up, I rarely can buy Blue Sky and back came the weight.

My daughter is allergic to corn, so very little of it is even in our house aside from soft drinks that she doesn't drink and bread for my husband's lunches. She is the healthiest one here.

Posted by Anonymous on 19 September 2008

The US is 1 of a few countries who allows Corn Sirup in food.There are a few companies who make a lot of money with it.You bet they don't want to get rid of it.People who worked in those companies are now found in politics.It goes hand i hand.The little man has nothing to say and is the guinepig.

Posted by Anonymous on 1 October 2008

"Consumption of high fructose corn syrup has been dropping in recent years."

High fructose corn syrup entered the market in the 1970. That's about the same time breast cancer rates started to rise. However, breast cancer rates are now dropping slightly. Coincidence or correlation? Hmmmmm...

Posted by Anonymous on 19 October 2008

Thank you so much, I plan to use this information in a film I'm making titled "A Sweet Surprise: Sponsored by the Corn Refiners Association", look for it on youtube.com in a month or two.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 October 2008

HFCS is just the beginning of mans stupid-headed urge to control mankind. i'm a 70's baby and did you ever notice how just about everything from the milk to water to meds to damn near everything is contaminated with some type of @$#! whose sole design is to kill us for the advancement of the all mighty dollar....they call it Collateral Damage. Nantucket Necturs for me pal!!!

Posted by Anonymous on 2 January 2009

As a biologist and biochemist who has actually read the studies I can tell you while the calories may be the same; HFCS is not the same when it comes to metabolism. The food industry has a lot to lose if people start avoiding it because it is cheap to produce and extends shelf life. Thus their interests do not include your well-being! Look beyond industry propaganda and learn to look at the actual studies! Knowledge is POWER!

Posted by Anonymous on 3 January 2009

THANKS! :-)

All one needs is this article and bit of discipline!

Posted by Anonymous on 19 January 2009

So fructose doesn't tell your body that the stomach is full. Maybe that is why I eat six boxes of Ding Dongs at a sitting. It's not my fault I'm a pig! HFCS was introduced in the seventies which is the same time breast cancer started to rise??? It's also the same time highway traffic deaths started going down. Hmmmm, suck down a soda and save a life? I could become a millionaire if I were willing to sell my soul and tell people what they wanted to hear. "I'm so sorry your obese,it's those damn companies. They are plotting to kill you!" Yep we all know that the way to stay in business is to whack all your cusomers.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 January 2009

All the above info was interesting to read. If you think sugar has been around for thousands of years and you never saw the amount of obese people you see today. Especially in developed nations...aka The US and UK. Man always tries to make things better than what nature already provides. Two steps forward and three steps back. Whether you eat sugar or HCFS, due to lack of exercise and the lazy lifestyles that are prevalent today, we will have diabetes and obesity. What we need to do is stop ponting fingers and take responsibility for our own actions. The manufacturers of these products have not force fed us, we CHOSE to eat things that we know are not good for us. What makes me angry is parents that do not take care of their children and allow them to eat these things, McDonalds and Burger King, then they turn around and complain. We as Humans need to start acting like humans; The more intelligent species.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 January 2009

But on the same token as the ecomomy worses, people are trying to find economic means to feed their families. If one only has $5.00 to eat and they are hungry, what will the choose a salad or a burger that will keep them fuller longer. Best bet it will be a burger, fries and soda. I refuse to eat HFCS I read everything I was shocked to see what its really in BBQ sauce, ketchup and even some salad dressings. Certain products cost me more especially soda like Whole Foods Soda which is made with natural cane sugar but I can't keep endulging in harmful products b/c I am type 2 diabeties..

Posted by shayned on 28 January 2009

i love ketchup and i first realized the danger of hi fructose corn syrup when i used it and my blood sugar zoomed. i now use Heinz 1 Carb ketchup.
I wish restaurants would stock it. I called Heinz and asked them about it but they said no.

Posted by Anonymous on 29 January 2009

Sitting here reading all the comments about this article affirms my position...we are all different individuals that respond differently to consummed foods. Some people exercise more than others and can handle more fructose, others exercise just as much but their body chemistry is just genetically different.

Moderation is the best policy for those that do not have type 2, those that do have type 2 should avoid HFCS like the plague since evidence is trending toward insulin release problems with consumption of fructose.

Are the food manufactures going to be honest with you...I seriously doubt it. It would not be in their best interest and they can always find a study to rebuke a study against their product.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 February 2009

HFCS is poison, plain and simple. Anyone who listens to and believes Corn Refiners Association propaganda being broadcast on televisions or by other means deserves diabetes and their fat lifestyle. This is an organization that is promoting the use of HFCS so they can make more money. Exploiting the health of our people is not good business. Sweet Surprise, you've been outed.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 February 2009

Very interesting comments. We can be selective with the research studies and choose those that favor our position. Unfortunately, not all studies are equal. HFCS was bad for me and I was surprised when I found out that it was the cause of my symptoms/condition. Another excellent source I found informative on this issue is "The Sugar Fix" by Dr. Richard Johnson, MD.He cites some interesting studies and is associated with university type research.

Posted by Anonymous on 19 February 2009

A key word that is often used when talking about HFCS is that is reacts 'similarly' in the body to sugar, not the same. They are two different substances, one occuring naturaly, the other not so much. Even though most studies may be inconclusive, I for one don't want to potentially gamble with my health while everyone is trying to figure it out.
It doesn't take that much extra time to check out the label, and next time you know what your buying. Knowing that type 2 runs in my family, I find that the little extra time, and possibly a little extra money spent on the food is worth it. 'Similarly' doesn't cut it in my house.

Posted by Anonymous on 20 February 2009

In a 2007 study, rats were fed a diet high in fat and HFCS and kept them relatively sedentary for 16 weeks in an attempt to emulate the diet and lifestyle of many Americans.[33] The rats were not forced to eat, but were able to eat as much as they wanted; they consumed a large amount of food, suggesting that fructose suppresses the sensation of fullness. Within four weeks, the rats showed early signs of fatty liver disease and type II diabetes. Shapiro et al. fed rats a high-fructose diet for six months and compared them to rats that had been fed a fructose-free diet. Although the rats that had consumed high levels of fructose showed no change in weight, when compared to the rats that had consumed no fructose fat, levels of leptin in the blood indicated the development of leptin resistance. When the rats were switched to a high-fat diet, the leptin-resistant rats gained more weight than those who had not developed the resistance.

Posted by Anonymous on 20 February 2009

I visited the Corn Refiners site and they mention a Harvard Professor stating that there is no credible evidence linking obesity to consumption of HFCS. They fail to mention that the same Harvard Professor also recommends drinking water instead of soda. Makes sense...so do yourself a favor and put down the 16-32 ounce soda and grab some Poland Spring.

Posted by Anonymous on 26 March 2009

When we consume foods that are processed, we must all become experts about what we are really putting into our bodies, because the food industry provides paid "experts" such as Andrae Erickson, who clearly has a bought and paid for bias in favor of HFCS.

To become more expert about things we have little knowledge of, Wikipedia is a good source to gain more than a basic understanding of HFCS.

After reading about the complicated process by which HFCS is produced, there is little question that is not "natural", just because it is produced from corn, whereas sugar cane and sugar beets are straightforward sugar producers in and of themselves.

Further evidence that HFCS is not just plain old sugar are specific allergies related to its consumption. Also, its higher ratio of fructose to glucose--on average--means that processed foods will tend to have a higher relative amount of fructose. And that seemingly small difference can become huge when it shows up in 40% of processed food, and in nearly 100% of soda pop.

Americans need to become less gullible and more skeptical of food companies who prefer longer shelf life for their products over long and healthy lives of their consumers.

Posted by Anonymous on 24 April 2009

Not to mention the fact that HFCS is made from genetically modifed corn sprayed with pesticides. Watch the documentary "King Corn".

Posted by Anonymous on 4 May 2009

HFCS was developed by Archer Daniels Midland and Cargill (possibly in conjunction with other by corn processors) to provide the food industry with something cheaper than sugar. Interesting to see the last post (24 April 2009) about the pesticides.

I lately found that Brownberry Ovens, a division of Arnold, who acquired the Brownberry name years ago, now have on their package "No High Fructose Corn Syrup"!! The bread in question was too sweet for me, so I'll stick to Brownberry's founder Catherine Clark's original formula, great whole wheat bread with no sugar at all.

Posted by Anonymous on 20 May 2009

HFCS is in more and more products here in Sweden. Diabetes also is on the rise, both in childhood and adult onset in Sweden. Hmmmm.

Posted by Diabetes Health Editor on 20 May 2009

I am interested to learn more about diabetes in Sweden. If you are in Sweden and have diabetes, please contact me using the page below and selecting "Managing Editor." Tack!

Posted by Anonymous on 25 May 2009

"It has the same number of calories as sugar and is handled similarly by the body."

This is the most inacurate statement ever. Sugar can be "burned" or metabolized by every single part of your body. HFC's can only be metabolized by the liver.

So stop spreading your propaganda in order to sell your products.

Posted by Anonymous on 5 June 2009

I gave up HFCS years ago because I heardt that the body does not know how to use the stuff. My dad also cut back as a way to lower his triglicerides. It worked for him. I do not know what my triglicerides were before I gave up HFCS, but I know that now, even though my total cholestrol is 191 my triglicerides are always around 70. I am sure the lack of HFCS has a lot to do with that. It is also interesting to note that the ads on TV saying HFCS is the same as sugar are put out by the people who produce corn! Thanks for posting this very important article!

Posted by Anonymous on 8 June 2009

Since I stopped drinking sodas with HFCS, I stopped having visual disturbances (seeing floating electrical lines that would last for periods of 5-30 minutes). I don't know the correlation, but I was guilty of drinking a lot more soft drinks about 6-9 months prior to these visual issues, although I can't find anything on the net pertaining to the correlation (except maybe borderline diabetes or high blood pressure). Does anyone else know of a possible correlation regarding HFCS and vision problems?

Posted by Anonymous on 2 July 2009

It seems funny that the government is trying to find a way fund a health insurance system for the entire country, while subsidizing corn growers (HFCS)who seem to be contributing to the spread of obesity and a multitude of other ills. And now we give them (corn growers) even more money with the push (Bush administration) to produce ethanol. And we fatten our beef in feed lots giving the cows corn which is not one of their normal foods. Which Senator (s) is pushing this?

Posted by Anonymous on 2 July 2009

If this is such an issue shouldn't the FDA question the wisdom of the consumption of HFCS or is the fact that the FDA is funded by the industry the problem.

Posted by Ellis2ca on 16 September 2009

>"But what happens when a manufacturer disguises sugar as something you don't recognize?" What SHOULD happen is that the F.D.A. should not permit this type of deception... Unfortunately, there are this and other kinds of deception in food labels. For example, they invent the size of the portion and say that a portion contains whatever amount of carbohydrates as they want it to have. >"After all, fructose is the primary sugar found in fruits, which provide valuable nutrients. In this case, a little fructose is fine. " No, it is not "fine..." Vegetables have the same vitamins, minerals, fiber, and enzymes that fruits have, so there is no reason to justify eating fruits, except that they are delicious... but be aware that they contain twice as much carbs per gram of weight as vegetables... so if you are going to eat fruits, eat half as much as you wish you could. (ie, small portions... ) In the end, you cannot believe anybody. You cannot believe the manufacturers... you cannot believe the atrocious Food Guide Pyramid... you cannot believe Dr. Atkins... you cannot believe Dr. Bernstein.... you cannot believe Barry Sears... you cannot believe Dr. Dean Ornish... you cannot believe Nathan Pritikin. You can only believe the glucose meter.

Posted by Anonymous on 8 October 2009

"... exacerbating the issue" WHAT?!!!
Who's the idiotic intellectual who wrote that one?! Really, you ought to just tell the nice folks that they can make their health take a turn for the worse! GOOD GRIEF, CC!

Posted by Anonymous on 21 January 2010

I have known for years what high fructose corn syrup can do to your body. I have taking it out of my diet for years also, it is getting very hard to find items in the grocery store that do not have it in them, recently I tried to purchase apple sauce, just regular old apple sauce and every one I picked up had it in there, finally I found one, just one that did not and that is the one I purchased. They say childhood diabetes is really on the rise and I can understand why, I don't think most parents even know how bad it is for there children and probably think or even look to see how many products it is actually in these days. We need to get the word out, I wish we had a way!

Posted by Anonymous on 17 December 2010

There seem to be lots of studies that indicate HFCS causes a higher insulin response than sugar.

Like this one:
High Fructose Corn Syrup and Obesity. (2010).
Retrieved December 17, 2010, from Public Studies Web site:

Posted by Anonymous on 21 December 2010

Interesting article and should be a warning. But getting past this inefficiency of HFCS, the question of where and how this product comes from hasn't been addressed. It has been admitted to be from genetically altered grain. Is genetically altered grain bad? After much searching I found out why animal protein is used in altering grain, it becomes something other than a plant. So many more chemicals can be used in raising the product. Weed killer--round-up, additional insecticides because this new plant no longer is immune to certain insects, more fertilizer are used and the list goes on. Back in the 70's it was reported that marijuana, pot,was bad for you because it messed up your chromosomes--well it turns out that the chemicals used in raising it were the culprits. So we really need to look at the WHOLE picture and what is happening to our food industry or should I say chemical industry.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 March 2011

To Kathy Warwick and Andrea Erickson of the CRA:
The American Dietetic Association is supported by Coca-Cola, Pepsico, Hershey's Moderation Nation, National Dairy Council, Kellog's, Mar's (snackfood), and others (who may or may not be bad for your health). If someone says they are from the American Dietetic Association--run for your life--literally! The American Dietetic Association appears to be a front for the fast food companies to give you their advice on how to eat. Look close into their eyes--see the dollar signs. Please educate yourself and eat for your life--not for the fast food or chemical companies--and don't listen to their lobbyists.
As a health teacher, I am concerned about the health of this nation's children. The school food is mostly processed, addictive poison. Children are addicted to it by second grade. There is definitely a link between eating junk food and health related problems. In the school where I work, at least 70% or more of the females are overweight.
Many people comment that the American Dietetic Association says that HFCS is the same as sugar. Well, I also taught chemistry--and it is not the same. HFCS is highly processed. However, to make a point: Arsenic and cyanide are both poisons, and both will kill you. Perhaps one is more powerful than the other. High fructose corn syrup does not have any place in a healthy diet (and I don't care what the junk food supported AMA says--It's not healthy even in moderation. HFCS and the foods it is found in should be eliminated from the American diet--for health's sake.
Sincerely,
WindyD

Posted by Anonymous on 28 March 2011

I find it interesting that the article begins with the focus on the non-specific word, sugar, and finishes with a very specific type of sugar, HFCS.

The article starts out stating the facts about the composition of sucrose, glucose and fructose. It also states, "Fructose is also a monosaccharide and is often referred to as “fruit sugar,” because it is the primary carbohydrate in most fruits. It’s also the primary sugar in honey and half the carbohydrate in sucrose (table sugar)." Notice that this means that table sugar is half fructose. Also the reader's focus is now on fructose, a more specific word than "sugar".

As the article continues, it is explained why fructose is so bad for those with diabetes. Notice that the focus is now on how bad fructose is. The writer has taken the reader from sugar, to fructose, and now to bad fructose.

The the writer artfully summarizes the intended message and at the same time further narrows the focus of the article to HFCS, corn syrup.

I have to wonder, does the word "High" as a part of the name for the corn syrup sweetener cause people to think that corn syrup is the only sweetener to be avoided?

The thing is, and the facts in the article agree, sugar (cane sugar), and HFCS (corn syrup), are a combination of glucose and fructose. A fact not mentioned is that table sugar and corn syrup have similar
ratios of glucose to fructose. Sugar is close to a 50/50 blend (glucose to fructose) and HFCS is either a 42/58 blend or 55/45 blend. Is this 5%-8% difference enough to make HFCS the ingredient to avoid?

The truth is that both sugar and corn syrup should be equally avoided, neither is worse then the other. Also the article never actually says sugar is good and HFCS is bad. It just stays true to the point that HFCS should be avoided.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 October 2011

I stopped reading where it said that HFCS does not need insulin to enter cells. I'm a Type 1 diabetic and use HFCS sometimes to raise my blood sugar levels. Trust me. It needs insulin to be lowered if I have too much.

Posted by Anonymous on 27 October 2011

to the person that stopped reading that HFCS does not need insulin to enter cells, read carefully next time: HFCS is both glucose plus fructose

Posted by Anonymous on 11 December 2011

After drastically reducing HFCS my appetite for wholesome food has returned. I have lost much weight and started exercising. Our food supply is corrupted and HFCS is a main culprit. I now view HFCS in the same way I see cigarettes; only cheaper

Posted by Anonymous on 24 February 2012

Is alcohol a contributor to this fructose/sucrose problem?

Posted by Anonymous on 25 April 2012

Look! The cavalry has come riding up from afar, sabers drawn, banners waving, with bugles trumpeting to save and protect us! Yes! It's the FDA! The FDA now allows in the list of ingredients on food labels, the words "High Fructose Corn Syrup" (HFCS) to be replaced with just the words "Corn Syrup". Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! What a great job you've done to protect us from this menace. Keep up the good work!

Comment: