An Alternative Treatment for Neuropathy

Thirteen months ago, we published a short article about NeuropathyRx, an amalgamation of five micronutrients (including alpha lipoic acid) that is touted as a treatment for diabetic neuropathic pain. Not knowing much about it, we asked readers to comment on whether they had achieved success with this or a similar product. Here’s what they posted at diabeteshealth.com.

“Say what you want. It WORKS for me!”
“I haven't used this particular mixture of supplements, but have been using alpha lipoic acid now for over a year, and I feel it cured my "foot drop." I'm on 600mg/day of it, after going on a very high dosage for a couple of months, and the neuropathy in my feet keeps on improving all the time.”
“Metanx contains methylcobalamin (a form of vitamin B12), which is being investigated for reduction of symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. "Regular" cyanocobalamin B12 has been shown not to have this benefit. I am a physician and have seen several patients improved over the short- and long-term with oral and injectable methylcobalamin. I am aware of benefit of ALA and NAC as well.”
“My husband has been using alpha lipoic acid, 600 mg twice a day, for about eight years, and it has been very effective for his neuropathy. His uncle used it from age 82 until his death at 86, and he found it helped him to keep on gardening, which he loved. I buy a six-month supply.”

Encouraged by the enthusiasm of these readers, we asked Patty Smith Hall, the research director at Neuropathy Solutions, if more research is being done on the efficacy of NeuropathyRx. Patty wrote the following article for us.

Many commonly used medications cause dry mouth, constipation, blurred vision, or sedation. Because of these side effects, even pharma companies are looking to natural supplements as a way to treat diabetic neuropathy.

| Nov 3, 2008

When I was growing up in the South, my mother always told me, "You are what you eat." With Americans leading the pack in obesity and type 2 diabetes, it appears that she may have been right. Years of drive-through dinners and instant breakfasts have caught up with us, making us rethink every bite that passes our lips in our quest to fight off the complications of diabetes.

But what about the good stuff, those necessary nutrients we don't get in our daily diet? Could the lack of certain vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients be hurting us, particularly in the case of diabetic neuropathy?

That's what preliminary results from a year-long study by Dr. Mark Gostine, founder of Michigan Pain Consultants, and Dr. Larry Pawl, a recognized oncologist, appear to confirm. In a follow-up to their findings, published in the Journal of Practical Pain Management in July/August of 2007, the doctors reported that after introducing essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants into the diet of diabetic patients for a year, the pain, numbness, and burning associated with their diabetic neuropathy decreased by almost 65 percent.

Neuropathy is a common complication of diabetes. Peripheral nerves in the hands and feet are damaged by high blood sugar levels. Of the 20.8 million people with diabetes in the United States, an estimated 14.6 million have or will develop some form of numbness, tingling, and pain in their extremities during their lives. Although treatment for diabetic neuropathy has improved with the use of anti-epileptic drugs and antidepressants, most of the commonly used medications can cause dry mouth, constipation, blurred vision, or sedation. Because of these side effects, many (including the pharmaceutical companies) are looking to natural supplements as a way to treat diabetic neuropathy.

The purpose of Drs. Gostine and Pawl's study was to determine if long-term use of NeuropathyRx-a combination of N-acetyl cysteine, alpha lipoic acid, L-carnitine, selenium, and vitamin C-could improve the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy. Thirty-two diabetic patients with various degrees of peripheral neuropathy were followed for a period of six months to a year after introducing these micronutrients into their diet. At monthly intervals, the patients were questioned about their compliance and asked to rate their pain, numbness, and burning on a scale from zero to ten (zero being no pain and ten being the worst possible pain).

In the first open label study, spanning three months, patients reported a 41 percent drop in their numbness, a 63 percent decrease in their burning pain, and a 56 percent reduction in overall pain. In a follow-up extension study, patients who remained on the supplement continued to see improvement in their neuropathy symptoms. Nine months after starting NeuropathyRx, patients reported a decrease in their numbness by 62 percent, a drop in burning pain by 69 percent, and a reduction in overall pain by almost 65 percent.

Because these nutrients are hypothesized to work in the regeneration of the nerve sheath, Drs. Gostine and Pawl are also conducting studies with NeuropathyRx in patients with chemo-induced neuropathy and neurofibromatosis.

A non-prescriptive, NeuropathyRx costs around $40 for a one-month supply of 120 capsules and offers a money-back guarantee if the customer is not completely satisfied. NeuropathyRx is available at neuropathysolution.com or by phone at 1-877-243-6633.

Categories: Blood Sugar, Diabetes, Diabetes, Medications, Nerve Care (Neuropathy), Research, Type 2 Issues

• What's on the Horizon with Diabetes Research and Therapy

Comments

Posted by Barbarah on 4 November 2008

I have been using alpha lipoic acid and evening primrose oil for over 10 years and really see a change when I miss a does or two-I have wonderful strength and am able to do many gardening chores with no effect.

Posted by Anonymous on 4 November 2008

Is there any evidence to suggest that alpha lipoic acid would be beneficial to stave off neuropathy in those who have not yet suffered from it?

Posted by Anonymous on 4 November 2008

I am a Type 1 and used to have severe Neuopathy. My Neuropathy is gone!! It took 9 Months. The secret is 1000 Mcg of Vitamin B-12 taken every 12 hours. My Endocrinologist is amazed!!!

Posted by Anonymous on 8 November 2008

I have been using Alpha Lipoic acid 900mg and Metanyx and have had great improvement related to neuropathy pain and tingling. I am recommending it in all my classes

Posted by Anonymous on 2 April 2009

HELLO! does anyone out there have non-diabetic neuropathy except me? My nerve biopsy evidences inside of nerves are dying but numerous lab tests cannot pinpoint the cause. I've had progressive neuropathy for 16 years now and am house bound. I am a medicare recipient trying to find information to support that non-diabetic neuropathics have same or more foot problems (deformatives, wounds, ulcers, hot/cold feet, drop feet, no reflexes in knees, ankles, elbows, etc., have broken bones from falls, and had toes fused early on because they curled into footbed of shoes and into the floor) as diabetics do and we should be eligibile for theraputic shoes as well. If anyone can direct me to this information, I plan to submit my case to medicare and am sure the neurologist and podiatrist will assist. Medicare has paid for motorized chair, scooter, walker and edema boots so I'm hopeful I can win regarding the shoes. Thank you for any assistance. Sincerely, "Can't walk in Alabama".

Posted by Anonymous on 11 June 2009

I haven't tried this product but have tried a couple others and find that the product sold by Hampshire Labs for neuropathy Diabetic Nerve Rejuvenator is the one of the best.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 December 2010

I started using alpha lippoic acid about 2 weeks ago after reading about many of the benefits and lack of side effects. When I asked my Doctor about it - he had never heard of it. It took about a week before my neuropathy pain went away, but what I noticed immediatley was a drop in my blood sugar levels - in fact they were now becoming too low so I am using about 25% less insuulin after meals to get the same blood glucose levels. The product is cheap available at my grocery store and I am incredibily surprised that more Doctors and health professionals are so ignorant about its benefits. I take about 600-800 mg per day (6-8 tablets) and so far I have only experienced beneficial effects and no obvious side effects. Metformin on the other hand reduces my blood sugar only about 10% and has numerous gastrointenstinal side effects. Research studies have been done in humans with injected alpha lippoic acid, but I am not aware of any studies on patients after injesting the product - if they haven't been done - its about time some one does.

It's cheap to try and available without presecription, but I advise monitoring your blood glucose levels carefully while you try it and\or discuss it with your Doctor. The product works as an antioxidant so may have many other beneficial effects - I plan to educate my doctor and bring him several research papers so he might consider recommending it to other patients.

Posted by Anonymous on 23 July 2012

I have happily been using the Neuropathy Rx product for about 4 years, and have received a monthly supply through the mail from Neuropathy Solutions located in Wyoming MI. Suddenly they are no longer on-line, the phone is out of service and my monthly mailing is ended. Nuts. The darned stuff worked.

Comment: