Cinnamon: Should It Be Taken as a Diabetes Medication?

This article was originally published in Diabetes Health in June, 2008.

| Dec 25, 2008

The Chinese mentioned cinnamon in their written work more than 4,000 years ago. The ancient Egyptians used cinnamon in their embalming process, and the Roman writer/philosopher Pliny the Elder wrote in the first century AD that cinnamon was worth 15 times more than silver of the same weight.

In Medieval times, physicians used cinnamon for such ailments as sore throats. Later, Portugal, Holland, France and England vied for ownership of the island of Ceylon (Sri Lanka), where the world’s cinnamon was grown. But those rivalries ended in the early 1800s when the cinnamon monopoly dissolved after it was discovered that the spice could be grown in many other areas.

In the West today when most people think of cinnamon they immediately think about that most unhealthy, but delicious, pastry, the cinnamon roll. However, in the past few years cinnamon has been making a comeback in its old “roll” as a medication. Is cinnamon a substance with medicinal properties germane to the treatment of hyperglycemia? If so, is it safe? If it is safe and effective, how and when should it be taken? These aforementioned questions are worth answering.

Cinnamon and Glucose

Several mechanisms by which cinnamon might lower glucose have been proposed. Cinnamon may have an insulin-like effect, causing glucose to be stored in the form of glycogen. In one study of rats, cinnamon reportedly caused an increase in a compound IRS-1, which is responsible for increasing glucose uptake in muscle tissue. Cinnamon has also been reported to cause an increase in the transporter mechanisms (GLUT-4) that take glucose out of the blood stream and into tissue. Cinnamon has also been cited as having a number of other properties that might contribute to any hypoglycemic effect that it might have.

Cinnamon and Diabetes

The most often-cited study on the effects of cinnamon and diabetes was published in the journal Diabetes Care in 2003 by Khan and colleagues. This study evaluated 60 people with type 2 diabetes around the age of 50. They were divided into six groups of 10 patients each. Groups 1 through 3 were treated with 1, 3, or 6 grams of cinnamon daily, respectively. Groups 4 through 6 received a placebo.

Treatment with cinnamon or placebo lasted for 40 days. Researchers analyzed both groups’ fasting glucose, LDL cholesterol, triglycerides and total cholesterol. No changes in the placebo group were observed over the 40-day period. However, in the cinnamon groups reductions in fasting glucose (down18 percent to 29 percent), triglycerides (down 23 percent to 30 percent), LDL cholesterol (down 7 percent to 27 percent) and total cholesterol (down 12 percent to 26 percent) were reported. If this were the end of the story, and if high-dose, long-term cinnamon was known to be safe, then perhaps cinnamon therapy would be widely recommended. Unfortunately, the picture is not quite so clear.

German Study Doesn’t Repeat Results

Another study carried out in Germany evaluated 65 patients with type 2 diabetes. This study was similar to the one above except half of the patients received placebo while the other half all received 3 grams of cinnamon daily for four months. In this study no difference between the two groups was reported for LDL or HDL cholesterol, triglycerides or HgbA1c. Fasting glucose levels dropped about 7 percent more in the group receiving cinnamon.

In the spring of 2006, another study of cinnamon appeared in the Journal of Nutrition. This study evaluated 25 post-menopausal women with type 2 diabetes who were treated with 1.5 grams of cinnamon daily for six weeks. Cinnamon was not associated with a significant change in insulin sensitivity, glucose tolerance or cholesterol profile.

Another study was published this year in the journal Diabetes Care. This study compiled all of the published human data from controlled studies of cinnamon and analyzed it together (a meta-analysis). This study concluded that cinnamon did not appear to improve HgbA1c, fasting glucose or blood lipids in patients with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes.

Should Cinnamon Be Recommended?

At this point the data regarding cinnamon’s efficacy in reducing glucose levels in patients with diabetes is inconsistent at best. Given the facts that hyperglycemia is a tissue toxic state and that safe and effective medications are available to reduce it, cinnamon should not be widely recommended at this time.

There are other concerns as well. Some forms of cinnamon contain a compound (coumarin) that can reduce the blood’s ability to clot. This has led authorities in Germany to seek reclassification of cinnamon supplements as regulated medication.

Cinnamon taken in supplemental doses should be avoided until more data is available and all safety concerns have been assuaged.

Sources:

• Baker et al. Effect of Cinnamon on Glucose Control and Lipid Parameters. Diabetes Care. 2008;31:41-3
  • Khan A et al. Cinnamon Improves Glucose and Lipids in People with Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2003;26:3215-18
  • Vanschoonbeek K et al. Cinnamon Supplementation Does Not Improve Glycemic Control in Postmenopausal Type 2 Diabetes Patients. Journal of Nutrition. 2006;136:977-980

Some Questions About This Article From Scott King, Editor-in-Chief:

John:

Thank you for this concise and accessible update to a topic that has been going around in the diabetes community for some time. I have some questions, though, about some of the studies you cited:

Did Khan use a different kind of cinnamon than other researchers to achieve results at such low dosages?

Why weren’t other researchers able to replicate his results?

Scott

Prof. White Replies:

Good questions. Khan used cinnamomum cassia and it was ground and added to flour and put into capsules. I don’t know about the other researchers decision making process regarding dose. Khan reported changes at 1, 3 and 6 grams so lower doses do seem reasonable.

Why weren’t others able to replicate the results? I don’t know. That is why clinical studies are repeated. Many things effect metabolic parameters. Just the fact that someone is in a study can cause changes (Hawthorne Effect). Anytime a natural substance is used there are myriad potential confounding factors. Additonally, there may be genetic factors among the patients.

In the final analysis, however, I think we have to look at all of the data. When we do this, it seems, at least at this point, that cinnamon has not been shown to be effective. Larger studies may prove this conclusion wrong.

I hope that helps. JW

John R. White, Jr., PA, PharmD, is a professor in the Department of Pharmacotherapy at the College of Pharmacy at Washington State University Spokane.

Categories: A1c Test, Diabetes, Diabetes, Insulin, Medications, Type 2 Issues, Type 2 Medications

• What's on the Horizon with Diabetes Research and Therapy

Comments

Posted by ndocroth on 5 April 2008

According to my experience as a natural medicine professional with additional training in Chinese medicine I have found that cinnamon is highly beneficial in diabetics who are diagnosed with hyperinsulinism. Reason being that cinnamon does tend to lower insulin levels. On the other hand, for hypoinsulinism cinnamon potentially makes things worse and can induce dangerous hypoglycemic episodes. Therefore, cinnamon should be used carefully and in the right context only.

Posted by Anonymous on 5 April 2008

While I have a great deal of respect for the *Scientific Method* that is used in Investigational Research Methodology, I am also familiar with the area of Neutraceuticals and a more *Natural* approach in the healing of Illness.
I do not think that any one approach in the treatment of Disease is the "Be-All/End All" way to go.
Each method has its advantage and shortcomings, that is why in Western Medicine there exists a *Risk-Benefit ratio for all drugs. Unfortunately Western Medicine carries many side-effects along with the intended benefit of the drug in question. Sometimes these side effects cause or can cause greater harm or/and discomfort than the benefit derived from such use.
Along with this, comes the added problem and risk of possible contamination that exists from various manufacturers and suppliers in places such as China and India that has recently been in the news regarding Coumadin because of poor or non-existent Safety Regulations in these countries. This is not the first time contaminated products have been reported. Which is why, in my opinion, Generic Drugs are more risky for the consumer than Brand-Name Pharmaceuticals which have greater safety controls in place.
In treating a chronic Illness such as Diabetes, I would avail myself of all possible ways to alleviate the problems that this complex Disease carries along with it.
I use common sense, the ability to decide for myself and an "Open-Mind" to determine what may or may not be of benefit to me.
I do not need someone in a "White Lab Coat" to issue any pronouncements as to whether or not a compound is beneficial to use. If I would have waited for each pronouncement, then the Ravages of T1DM would have been more severe.

Posted by kathyw on 6 April 2008

I tried cinnamon tablets for 6 months but have seen no change since discontinuing its use a month or two ago. I wouldn't recommend wasting your money for it.

Posted by HOFIII on 7 April 2008

Cinnamon as been a "god-send" for me helping me avoid the spiking after eating. I use the common grocery store cinnamon. After eating anything, (I have a very healthy diet;i.e. low carb and regular exercise) i have about a 1/2 to a whole tsp of cinnamon mixed with a small amount of soy milk and I don't ever notice the spiking feelings from before. I was diagonosed with pre diabetes a year and half ago with a A1C of 5.7. I've had 2 other A1C's since and they hve been 5.6 and 5.8 respectively. I walk an average of 40 minutes 5 times and week, do streching exercises in the morning and some situps and knee push ups 3 times a week. I'm male and 51 years old. Cinnamon has helped me to never experience the uncomfortable spiking feeling that used to be present before starting to change my eating habits. It just helps me feel normal.

Posted by Anonymous on 7 April 2008

First, much of the benefit from cinnamon comes from real cinnamon, not that which is purchased in the supermarket and labeled "cinnamon" (see section "cinnamon and cassia"). Secondly, what is sold in most supermarkets (cassia) has a compound in it (courmarin) that can inflame and damage kidneys. It is the aqueous extract of cinnamon that has been shown to be of benefit to diabetics. The particular extract is known as Cinnulin PF, a trademarked compound.

Posted by Anonymous on 7 April 2008

Cinnamon along with chrominium picolate has had a significant impact in lowering my blood sugar as a prediabetic. It has gone from 116 to 96 after using these remedies for 2 months.

Posted by Anonymous on 9 April 2008

Kathyw...Cinnamon helps those with Type 2 diabetes only. It lowers insulin resistance, it does not help with autoimmunity or beta cell regeneration. Therefore, it has proven to have no effect in Type 1 diabetes. Are you a Type 1?

Posted by volleyball on 17 April 2008

I can see why a study may not be repeatable. what were the criteria used in all the studies? not likely they were the same. Maybe it works only on type 2. maybe you need to exercise. maybe no oral meds. And what variety of cinnamon used as Scott asked?
I like cinnamon, I use a lot of it, it seems to help me. I do not use it as an excuse to indulge in something bad as a big cinnamon bun.

Posted by Anonymous on 10 June 2008

It sounds like the cinnamon compounds used in each of these dissimilar studies should be carefully analyzed and compared for differences... How many positive studies like Khan's have emerged in the past, only to have additional studies pop up immediately refuting the findings and confirming patients dependence on expensive commercial drugs? Is there a trend here?

Posted by Anonymous on 12 July 2008

I have type 2 diabetes I have been taking cinnamon caplets for three years I take 1000 mg before each meal my blood sugar stays around 112-160 I check my blood sugar often so I can keep a good watch I have had no known side effects I go to my doctor every three months for blood test. so for I am doing great.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 July 2008

I would like to try cinnamon. I take metformin and glyboride.
Since the studies sat that it takes
approximately 40 days to begin it's effects, do you continue with your normal dosage of medicine?
And, if the cinnnamon begins to work do you need to worry about sudden drops in your blood sugar because you are also taking medication during this period?

Posted by Anonymous on 31 July 2008

I use grocery store Cinnamon and add it to my morning coffee. It helps to regulate my blood sugar along with the Metformin 1000 mg. that I take 2 times daily. I am a Type 2 diabetic and have been for the past 6 years. Have been doing cinammon for almost a year and my A1C has been 6.3 since October of 2007.

Posted by kylematthew on 13 August 2008

Hi! I know people say Cinnamon isn't for Type 1's- but I'm a Type 1 and works for me. I take that and Chromium and Fenugreek and Gymme Sylvestre(?) along with my Novolog 70/30 Mix Insulin Pen. It dramtically reduced my insulin need- so don't ask me how or why it works. My BID dosing was always 16 or 17 but now it is 9 or 10. Somedays before dinner it is even 97. I wish I knew more about Type 1 Diabetes 'cause when I have a sugar of 97 before a meal I don't know if I should even give myself any insulin.

Posted by Anonymous on 6 September 2008

Hi John you write in web site that “The Chinese mentioned cinnamon in their written work more than 4,000 years ago. The ancient Egyptians used cinnamon in their embalming process, and the Roman writer/philosopher Pliny the Elder wrote in the first century AD that cinnamon was worth 15 times more than silver of the same weight “my question to you where did you get this info? In what language it was written and who was able to read? In India we have Ayurvedic books are written in Sanskrit and still being read not in India but in western word. Please stop spreading wrong information or provide authentic source.

Posted by diabetorati on 2 October 2008

I find the comments of HOFIII and the other actual diabetics interesting, including those who say don't waste your money. I believe in a holistic approach, and also am comfortable with the notion of using my body to experiment with ways and means to keep my type 2 in control. It always seems to me that the ancients knew a lot more than we have yet "discovered" about these types of cures, and the lack of consistency in our scientific approach is more to do with the actual specific extracts and species and such, as some posts have pointed out. There is a lot of very helpful information here that allows people to make a balanced judgment about their own choices about cinnamon. I'm certainly encouraged to see what might work for me. Our bodies all react differently, as we as diabetics know, and we prudently experiment and measure I think that we can find useful combinations. Walter Adamson

Posted by Anonymous on 14 October 2008

I recently lost my health insurance and
my doctor, and have lost access to free
samples of actos 45mg. The cinnamon I use
is the cheapest available, costing a
whopping 50cents each in the 2.37oz. size
of 5th season brand at Wal-Mart. I use a
lot of it, maybe as much as 2-3 teaspoons
of more a day. It helps a lot. I took one
half of my last remaining actos pill along
with about a third of a teaspoon of the
cinnamon. It dropped my glucose level from
222 to 109 in about an hour and a half,
far outperforming a whole actos pill. I
had cheated on my diet that particular day;
I usually never let it get above 160 or at
the very most 170 at any time. Generally
I try to keep it below 120 before I eat,
and never let it get above 155 or so.
The cinammon is definitely helping, but I
don't know if I can completely sustain
myself indefinitely.

ONE OBVIOUS OMISSION IN EVERYBODY'S
COMMENTS.
THE PAKISTANI STUDY USED 6 GRAMS
OF CINNAMON.

THE MAXIMUM EFFECTIVE DOSE
IS ABOUT 6 HEAPING TEASPOONS A DAY.
TAKE A LITTLE
BEFORE

THE MEAL, AND A LOT MORE TOWARD THE
END, BUT
NOT BY ITSELF, ONLY WITH
FOOD.
IT TASTES GREAT WITH DIET MTN.
DEW!
Put it on salad, in coffee, with
chili, or with whatever you are consuming,
both beverages and solid food.

THIS DOESN'T WORK IN SMALL
AMOUNTS! THAT'S WHY THESE STUDIES
AREN'T GETTING RESULTS.

IF YOU TAKE A HALF A TEASPOON IN
LIQUIE 18 MINUTES BEFORE EATING, AND
ANOTHER TEASPOON WITH FOOD AT THE END OF
THE MEAL, YOU CAN SEE RESULTS

IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

and don't eat ANY starch at all, only
skinned chicken, lamb, venison, fish, or
turkey, and not more than 6 ounces at a
time. Eat lean beef, but only 3 ounces,
every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday in the
early afternoons. DON'T EAT ANY BREAD,
POTATO CHIPS, FRENCH FRIES, JUNK FOOD OF
ANY KIND, AND ABSOLUTELY
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
SWEETS OF ANY KIND
EVER.

NO STARCH OR SWEETS EVER, AT ANY TIME,
FOR ANY REASON EXCEPT ONE HALF OF A PIECE
OF BREAD EVERY OTHER DAY TO KEEP YOUR STOOL
SOLID. THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do what I say, and you're really
type 2, you can keep your sugar levels
between 120 and 160.

Also walk at least 2 miles a
day, and don't eat anything within 3 hours
of bedtime.(Except no calorie foods, like
celery or lettuce totally plain.

EAT A LOT OF GREEN BELL PEPPERS
USE A LOT OF VIRGIN OLIVE OIL!

TRY TO KEEP YOUR CALORIES BETWEEN

1400 AND 1800 A DAY, ABOUT 1200 IF
YOU WEIGH 80-95 POUNDS. ADD ABOUT 20 CALORIES
TO THE FOURTEEN HUNDRED FOR EVERY INCH THAT
YOU ARE OVER FIVE FEET NINE INCHES. WOMEN
SHOULD BE ABOUT 150-250 CALORIES BELOW
MEN.
IF YOU'RE A MAN 6 FEET TALL,
YOU SHOULD EAT 1460 CALORIES A DAY. A MAN
FIVE FEET SIX SHOULD EAT 1340 CALORIES A
DAY. A WOMAN FIVE FEET SIX INCHES TALL
SHOULD ONLY EAT ABOUT 1200 CALORIES A
DAY.
IF EVERYBODY IN THE STUDY DID
THIS, THEY WOULD GET FANTASTIC RESULTS!

REMEMBER
OLIVE OIL, CINNAMON, GREEN PEPPERS!
LOW RED MEAT AND ALMOST NO STARCH!

- L.

Posted by Anonymous on 19 October 2008

I use cinnamon every night in addition to my insulin and it's stabilized my night time blood sugars considerably. Not a cure, but it's been a real help. Whenever I forget to take it, I inevitably have either a hypo or hyperglycemic episode.

Many Blessings,
Lilyth

Posted by Anonymous on 10 November 2008

If you're eating a healthy, balanced diet or exercising in addition to your cinnamon regimen, it may just be that you're eating right (not the cinnamon) that is helping to control your blood glucose levels.

Posted by mjw123 on 1 December 2008

Anyone who loses access to free
medication samples and who can't
afford their prescriptions should
look on the internet under a google
search for the name of the company
that produces that medication and
then contact their 800 number
and ask if they have a free
or reduced fee prescription drug
plan. Your healthcare provider
will need to fill out a form for
you. If you can't afford a doctor's
visit, look in the yellow pages or
contact your local hospital to find
out about free clinics in your area
or surrounding areas.

Posted by Anonymous on 26 December 2008

Hi, my name is Sather. I have dibetes about 8 months ago. In my inital time, doctors advise me for Glucovance 500/5 daily, but I analyzed that with the natural cure, it is easily for reduction in glucose levels. So I regularly taken cinnamon 1/2 table spoon before meal 2 time, doing my Yoga asana (Shoulder stand, Serpent and Bow)and 10-20 minutes walk, and the results are very good. My fasting glucose is 87-112 and random is about 130-160. Since doing these all stuff, I feel better, looking smart and have good mental and physical health. I also doing meditation for spiritual benefits and it is the best exercise I ever had.
The only way to feel and pay attention to yourself because there is serously merciful act with diabetic person on every scale. Be curios to your health and prove that a diabetic person can live good life.
Happy Christmas and Good vacations...And Happy New Year 2009.

Posted by taulandi on 6 January 2009

The real key of diabetes and cinnamon link stands inside the components of cinnamon. In fact, it is a water-soluble polyphenol called MHCP, which is very alike to insulin, and mimics its actions.

Posted by Anonymous on 14 January 2009

the post on Oct 14 is in my opinion a bit loaded - If you never eat starches - walk 2 miles a day ..... you would get the desired results without cinnamon - lets face it, that strict a diet just doesn't cut it for me - question how do those sugar numbers relate to the readings that I get on my glucometer - my numbers are supposed to be between 3.5 and 6 - where do you get your numbers in the hundreds - I get my numbers up to 25 and they call 911 - as in I am out cold - this cinnamon treatment does sound worth looking into as far as I'm concerned - where can you get pure cinnamon???

Posted by nikki on 4 February 2009

It never hurts to add some to your oatmeal or a cup of coffee or tea. But don't waste your money on the supplements. Its the same stuff as in the supermarket spice aisle but the supplements (even on BOGO) are 100's of times more expensive. You do not get a more potent serving in the supplements. The supplement company laughs at how many people buy it, thinking its stronger.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 February 2009

cinnamon ceylon is the one that help stabilized my blood sugars. I used wonder laboraties cinnamon ceylon extract, about 4caps(2500mg) and glucofit whenever I indulged in high carbs meal. My blood sugar would not go beyond 124. It's cinnamon ceylon, and not the casia, that contains cinnamtannin B1 which is of therapeutic effect on type II diabetes. Also it's the casia that have the component coumarin which can cause liver and kidney damage in high concentrations. True Ceylon cinnamon has negligible amounts of coumarin.

Posted by Anonymous on 24 February 2009

There are some other insulin mimetics available, like vanadium, chromium, zinc, selenium, epicatechin, resvaratrol, p peptide, all contained in food or available as supplements.

Could someone tell me which medication is "safe" and "effective"? I don't know of any that is safe and effective on all, not even insulin or the genetic engineered analogues work on everyone or are "safe".

Who can be called an expert on a disorder whose causes no one really knows? The only experts are the diabetics themselves...

Posted by Anonymous on 16 March 2009

As a diabetic now on three meds and still have very high blood sugar readings, I can tell U if a cure is found, it will be bought or stolen by the drug firms and it will be destroyed. It is not part of any drug mfg. plan to CURE this disease, only manage it until U die of it.

Posted by Anonymous on 30 March 2009

I don't think that our societies can afford the pharma scam for much longer. If cures are found, and some are very promising, so promising that a cure is within reach, let it be lettuces, peptides, BCG, or insulin rubbed into the nose, governments will be FORCED to cut off health care costs.

Posted by Anonymous on 2 April 2009

I am Type 1 Diabetic, and I know it says that cinnamon doesn't do anything for Type I, but I beg to differ, before I was taking my cinnamon tablets, my blood sugar would fluctuate big time even when I take enough insulin to cover the carbs, but now that I am taking cinnamon tablets, my diet and exercise being the same, my blood sugar has somewhat stabilized near 120-140, instead of taking dramatic climbs and falls, it is somewhat stable, I still have the occasional days where it is out of control, but it has really helped my blood sugar. I don't care what the white coats are saying, cinnamon is definately helping me keep the BG stable, while I use my insulin to raise or lower the level to stabilize at.

A good recipe I made:
1 cup regular cheerios
1 cup regular milk
1 packet of artificial sweetener
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon.

Mix it together. Tastes awesome, and that serving size above has only 32 carbs, not bad for a sweet breakfast every now and then.

Posted by Anonymous on 20 April 2009

No offense but this discussion is hilarious. Do some of you shake the voodoo stick before you sacrifice your animals to the Pagan Gods or do you wait until have shaken the chicken bones? Good lord,use a little common sense. If cinnamon actually worked don't you think these studies would have replicated the results of this first study? Additionally if it really worked don't you think every news outlet in America would be all over it.

As one other poster pointed out, if you don't eat any carbs and exercise regularly your glucose control is going to be very good unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances. Life sucks sometimes, but there are no silver bullets as much as we want to find one.

Posted by Anonymous on 23 April 2009

With so many discussions/debates about cinnamon, I find it a bit shocking that we only have three studies, all conducted under different circumstances. I am surprised that the scientific community has not attempted to recreate the study that produced the positive results in a more exacting manner. I mean, it's not like there's over 20 million in the US and nearly 250 million people worldwide afflicted. Oh wait, there is.

Posted by Anonymous on 2 May 2009

My understanding is that there are three different types of cinnamon, burmanni, cassai and verum. I bet they don't all have the same properties (or they'd be the same plant!). Maybe that's where the problem in the three studies falls. All I know is that without waving a voodoo stick or sacrificing anything but most sources of sugar AND by taking 2 1000 mg caplets of cinammon a day, plus riding a bike for a half hour, my blood levels are near perfect, 100 plus or minus 7 in the morning and rarely over 130 at night. Yes, the diet and the exercise sure do help, but I was doing them before the cinnamon and not doing anything like this.

Posted by Anonymous on 5 May 2009

I am a 28 year Type 2 diabetic that has been suffering for 10 years. I had maxed out my dosage of the gluburide and metformin (5/500 4x per day) in addition to taking another drug for diabetes. The drugs did not work...per the doctor, next step insulin. This past March I was introduced to a new doctor who stated that I was overmedicated and discussed natural healing with me. My medication was reduced to 1000mg of metformin (same amount of metformin, no glyburide) and I began taking 1 tsp of Ceylon Cinnamon every time I ate while drinking 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar...yes every time I ate. The results are miracle!! My blood sugar numbers were always above 130 (while watching what I ate and exercising). Within 2 weeks, all of my fasting numbers are consistently below 100 and my numbers after a meal do not exceed 130. Per the doctor, the next step is a reduction in medication. After 10 years this is the first time I have ever had my medication reduced. So you tell me does cinnamon work? I think so!! By the way I am off my blood pressure and cholesterol pills too.

Posted by Anonymous on 13 May 2009

I just purchased the "Spring Valley" brand of Cinnamon (cassia) + Chromium. Each "serving" is 2 caplets, which is 1000 mg of cinnamomum assia and 100 mcg of Chromium. We'll see how it works.

And to the poster who made the comment about "shaking voodoo sticks" around...do you really think that the medical establishment wants us to be healthy? Of course not! They WANT us to take Glucophage (which I'm allergic to) and all their expensive drugs, instead of going back to natural (cheap) remedies that might actually work. Wake up. If this doesn't work, then I'll stop taking it, but I'm not hurting anything by MONITORING my Blood Sugar and how it's relating to this new treatment.

We're not sheep, content to graze on the Pharamceutical lawns. The more natural the remedy, the better off we are.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 May 2009

Does the cinnamon give any indigestion or ill side effects? I am willing to try the cinnamon and vinegar, but have sensitive stomach, so have to avoid spicy foods. One reason to purchase the tablet form, if they will move through the stomach faster.

Posted by Anonymous on 28 May 2009

I am a 47 year old white,male 5'11" 225 lbs.
I have been using Cinnamon for over 2years.
I use it for my Cholesterol.
I have my bloodwork done 3or 4 times a year.
My average PRIOR to cinnamon ranged from 217 - 229 (6 data points).
My average NOW is 185 (10 data points).
My fasting sugar now ranges from 92-98.
Prior to Cinnamon it was 110-120.
I am a believer, but you must read, read, read for yourself.
BTW, I take 1 Solgar brand Cinnamon capsule,
500 mg each, per day, everyday.
The Solgar brand is more concentrated than the others.

Posted by Anonymous on 5 June 2009

I just found out about a month ago that I'm tpye 2. I thought I'd look around and found this site. Some have different views I think I will try it. I think it will be safer than any drug the pharmacuetical companies come up with. I also think that these natural remedies do work for the most part and the companies don't tell you that because they would go out of business and lose all their money, and the government would be out of that money that they get for allowing them to operate. I also beleive that some of the meds and diagnosis are just to lure you back in over and over. If anything had a cure they would all be out of jobs cause no one would be sick any more.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 June 2009

I, like most on this blog, am a type 2 diabetic. Being a 3x cancer survivor, and disabled from one of the botched up follow-up operations, I can see doctors in a clinic, and unable to choose my doctor.
My pharmacist who is a good friend, tells me to speak with my doctor before taking any form of cinnamon for lowering blood sugar or cholesterol. They tell me, that if my blood sugar goes too low, I CAN end up in a comma.
I just found the doctor was not telling me very much about diet and such, so I started to do searches on my own, and found this site and blog. I'm not sure about diet, or foods to avoid, other than the obvious, and what types of condiments like cinnamon that is effective in lowering the blood sugar and cholesterol. I will check back often, to see what everyone else is taking, or suggestions. Hope you all are well.

Posted by Anonymous on 5 November 2009

I noticed that in the different studies, different dosages of cinnamon were used. The 6 grms had a positive effect and the lower dosages did not. I am not scientist or nutritionist but wouldn't the dosage make a difference? Doctors give medicine all the time and adjust the dosages as needed to get the results the patient needs.

Posted by pilotrich on 1 March 2010

I am a type 2,I take 2 Fishoil capsules in the morning with my diabetes meds. and use Cinnamon in my coffee and oatmeal.I take 2 Flaxseed capsules with my diabetic meds. in the evening and drink 2 tbls. Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother before bedtime. My A1c dropped from 7.1 to 6.5 and my Trigl's dropped from 230 to 159 in 3 months.

Posted by Anonymous on 17 March 2010

Are there any studies going on with regard to cinnamon vs diabetes II?

Posted by Anonymous on 20 December 2010

Cinnamon is like any other medicine. It may work in some people and it may not work in others. If it works, continue to use if it does not, no need to use it. No big deal. I am diabetic. It did not work for me. But I do believe that it has several health benefits. So do consume cinnamon in moderation in food. I am a Ph.D. medical scientist.

Posted by SUGSALFATXER on 12 January 2011

I have type 2 diabetes.

My doctor has me taking 500mg of metformin twice per day, but I have been gradually stopping metformin.
I have been taking two 1000 mg capsules around 7AM and again at 6PM daily and omega 3 oil caplets for at least 6 months.

I can happily say that my blood sugar has dropped significantly and I only take my metformin (1 tablet) every other day and eventually I may stop taking metformin altogether.

Let me add that I still continuously monitor my sugar intake, salt intake and cholesterol intake and I take my blood sugar readings daily. Moreover I continue to do my daily walks, jogs, aerobics and anaerobic, and weight lifting.

I was definitely one of those that ate anything and all things that were sweet at all times of the day and night. I have learned my lesson and I have changed my sweet dirty habit to one of diligently watching what I eat and drink. Not just in terms of sugar but sodium, fats, and cholesterol.

I honestly believe food and food stuff industries are trying to kill us and the governments allow them to legally get away with it. Now I take a stand and diligently watch what goes into this body!

Posted by Anonymous on 14 January 2011

My husband works closely with big french pharma and they are always dumping products that "DON'T WORK EFFECTIVELY OR SELL WELL" in 3rd world countries, needless to say their tactics and policies have always been one of profit making. There have ALWAYS been cases throughout the world where vaccines produced initially were not properly tested and caused major diseases or deaths in any given population. How can anyone trust their very unique and precious body and life to the hands of big pharma soley is BEYOND ME. Be aware, find natural options that you can pair with the right medicine- only you as an intelligent adult will want what is best for your body !

Comment: