Marrow Cells Heal Neuropathy in Mice

If bone marrow cells could be cultured to work similarly in humans, it would be a significant step forward in the treatment of neuropathy, one of diabetes’ most dangerous effects.

Feb 12, 2009

Bone marrow cells that the body normally uses to restore blood vessels can be cultured to stop neuropathy and restore nerve function in diabetic mice, according to researchers at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.

If bone marrow cells could be cultured to work similarly in humans, it would be a significant step forward in the treatment of neuropathy, one of diabetes' most dangerous effects. In most people, high blood sugar eventually damages the blood vessels that supply peripheral nerves in the body, especially in the upper and lower limbs. In its most advanced form, neuropathy can lead to amputation.

In the Emory study, scientists worked on the assumption that bone marrow contains cells, called endothelial progenitors, which can divide into cells that are able to restore damaged blood vessels. They wanted to see if marrow cells especially enriched with endothelial progenitors could also be used to help regrow the nerve linings in diabetic mice. They injected the cells near the sciatic nerve in the test mice. (The sciatic is a large nerve in mammals that extends from the back to a rear leg.) Over the course of a few weeks, nerve signal speed and temperature sensitivity in the mice were restored to normal.

The Emory team reported that the restoration of nerve function occurred despite the fact that only a fraction of the bone marrow cells actually became endothelial cells. The scientists also found that the cells appeared to "home" in on peripheral nerves-a characteristic that makes their eventual application in humans even more promising.

Categories: Blood Sugar, Diabetes, Diabetes, Nerve Care (Neuropathy), Other Lab Tests, Professional Issues

• What's on the Horizon with Diabetes Research and Therapy

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 17 February 2009

This would be awesome because I suffer from Neuropathy and would try anything to make it go away!! Please keep doing this research we who suffer from Neuropathy need this help desparately...I would gladly submit to a trial on humans. Keep on posted on Results.
Thanks so much for this information...

Posted by Anonymous on 18 February 2009

This article would be better read and more sound if it had been edited/proofread before uploading on to the Web. --MedEd

Posted by Anonymous on 5 March 2009

This is exciting news.I have peripheral neuropathy now for many years along with diabetes and as everyone knows it is so very painfull.My wish is for you to please continue your research.I look forward to one day being able to sit still or sleep without that pain.

Posted by Anonymous on 30 March 2009

It's ashamed that someone out there is worried about editing/proofread when there are so many of us suffering with the pain of neuropathy. At least there is someone doing research toward curing the terrible pain neuropathy patients live with daily. I have to take neurotine (a prescription medication) 6 times daily and still suffer so, any news on restoration of nerve function to welcome news to me (whether it's edited/proofread or not!)

Posted by Anonymous on 30 March 2009

Who gives a rat's tail if the article was proofread, its reads really great to anyone living with the pain of neuropathy!!!!!!!!1

Posted by LorettaJames on 30 March 2009

Thank you for your work on this Have had Neuropathy for 10 years and am about to run out of meds to take for the pain. Hope to see some trials on humans soon.

Posted by Anonymous on 31 March 2009

I WOULD LOVE TO BE THE FIRST ALLOW DRS TO RUN TEST ON ME. IT IS SO HARD LIVING IN SUCH PAIN AND TO GO TO DRS AND THEY DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR U! I HAVING BEEN LIVING WITH NEUROPATHY FOR 2 YRS AND I JUST WANT MY LIFE BACK AND TO BE ABLE TO WEAR SHOES ONCE AGAIN...."JASMINE SWINDELL"

Posted by Anonymous on 5 April 2009

I am more than excited about these news! I was diagnosed with polyneruopothy 2 years ago at the age of 43, and it stopped my life! Like the other person that commented, I would also love to be able to wear shoes again. Most times I can't even stand to have socks on! I would also gladly be a trial study for this procedure when it becomes available!

Posted by Anonymous on 23 April 2009

I have peripheral neuropathy for about 10yrs.
I'm 68 and would gladly donate my body for research wishing to go back to normal and be able to walk without pain.Thank You for all
your research.

Posted by Anonymous on 26 April 2009

This seems to have so much promise....really the first study that I have seen that restores nerve function. I have been suffering with this horrible disease for 12 years and would do anything for relief. Please keep us updated on this research.

Posted by Anonymous on 7 June 2009

I am a disabled VietNam Veteran who lost half his stomach and I don't get the right nutrition. I have Peripheral Neuropathy, and suffer the same as others here. I use 2 canes to walk, and I thank God I can still walk short distances. I hope we all will be able to benefit from this research.

Posted by Anonymous on 3 September 2009

Thank God for this research, I suffer right along with the rest of you, I can still wear shoes but they are not at all confortable, I also am willing to donate my body for this research, Hope at last!! Please keep us updated on results.

Comment: