This Side of Normal: A New Novel About A Teen With Type 1 Diabetes

The story follows Ed Devlin, a fifteen-year-old boy whose family and social life are falling apart. When he’s diagnosed with type 1, he struggles not only to decipher his illness, but also to get the rest of his life back together.

Mar 12, 2009

Eric Devine, a 30-year-old English teacher and writer who's lived with type 1 diabetes for 18 years, has written a young adult novel, This Side of Normal, that will be published this month by Long Tale Press.

Here's a brief description of the plot: Ed Devlin has problems. His parents haven't gotten along since Ed's uncle died. His father drinks too much, and his mother has all but given up on her spouse. Ed's best friend has no time for him because he's too busy chasing a girl more likely to end up in jail than at graduation. And on top of all that, Ed is beginning to realize something is wrong with his body.

Ed's life is going to change, but not in any way he imagines. It's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets any better. Just like all the rest, he'll find that his health problem is beyond his control. It will overwhelm him and force him to find a way through. Force him to become someone new.

The book can be purchased in soft cover and e-book format from Long Tale Press and Amazon after March 20. For more information, please visit Eric Devine's blog and Long Tale Press

Categories: Books, Diabetes, Diabetes, Kids & Teens, Type 1 Issues

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 16 March 2009

Rats. I was thinking about writing something similar. Great though for this author to have gotten published :-)

Posted by Anonymous on 19 March 2009

I've actually read this book and it's fantastic (author lives in my area). Great story of teen issues and family dynamics. Worth checking out.

Posted by Anonymous on 19 March 2009

This is Jason Black, Managing Editor at Long Tale Press. I just wanted to drop in to say how delighted we were to find Eric's wonderful book, and to say that the book is now available in our store. Eric has done a masterful job capturing the human side of this disease, and what it means to come to grips with it. Our thanks to Diabetes Health for helping get the word out about Eric's book; if nothing else, I know his book will be helpful to others who are adapting to life "this side of normal."

Posted by Anonymous on 20 March 2009

My son is a type 1 and is not yet a teenager. Will this book help me to understand in advance what issues he will have? If so will it be available in Ireland?

Posted by Anonymous on 20 March 2009

I just started this as an e-book. Oh my God! He nails it. Seriously, he knows this disease inside out. Can't wait to read the rest.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 March 2009

this sounds like a very good book I wish i could go get right now and read all the way through !!!!!!!!!!! soooooooooooooo cool
this is so cool that you that people are finally start to write about this kind of suff for people with diabetes

Posted by elkhalter on 22 March 2009

For the last four years, I have been working on a book about a Type I diabetic at a diabetes camp. It's quite different than Eric's book. Hope mine works out as well.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 March 2009

This is Eric, the author. I appreciate the comments and also want to express my thanks for the support. The question about whether or not this book will help prepare parents for what's in store is an appropriate one. The answer, yes it will. I have already had parents buy it for themselves, their parents, their brothers and sisters, so that the entire family can be informed. I have a professor adding it to her required reading for her psychology course. No plug, just the truth. Visit my blog for excerpts and see for yourself. Then check out Long Tale's site for purchase options. Thanks, again.

Eric

Posted by Katherine Marple on 20 April 2009

Eric-

I applaud you for being able to write about yourself in such a way. I am logging into Amazon to purchase your book today.

There aren't NEARLY enough books out there that talk about diabetes, type one. I grew up with books. I still read every single day, and have never come across anything that remotely covers diabetes enough to be considered "helpful" in that department. There are many nonfiction books, but none that have a "story" to it that is enjoyable to read.

Books helped me through my childhood- to connect to others, and to learn from "their" mistakes. I can easily say that I am still learning every day- from books and from people in general.

I can't wait to read yours- truly.

I have also written a diabetes, type one, story that is also available on Amazon- "Wretched (this is my sorry)".

I wish you all the luck, determination, and success.

Thanks,
Katherine Marple

Posted by Anonymous on 11 November 2009

Is it a professor in Albany? We are required to read your book.

Comment: