Diabetes Archives

At Last! Restrictions on Stem Cell Research Lifted

Mar 17, 2009

JDRF President and CEO Dr. Alan Lewis said in a press release, “This is an exciting day for children and adults living with type 1 diabetes, their families, and everyone with a connection to diabetes who has worked for years to remove restrictions to this research.

"Medical miracles do not happen simply by accident," said President Obama, as he signed an executive order lifting the ban on federally funded embryonic stem cell research. The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) is celebrating President Obama's new policy. They recently released this statement by Mary Tyler Moore, the International Chairman of the JDRF:

"As someone who has had type 1 diabetes for far too many years now, I'm grateful to President Obama for setting in place a policy to fully explore this promising field of science.  The President's executive order is a strong signal to patients, scientists, and the nation that we have the government's full support to pursue ethical research that may accelerate progress to new treatments and possible cures for diabetes."

"We're very grateful to President Obama for setting in place a policy to fully explore this promising field of science," said new JDRF President and CEO Dr. Alan Lewis in a press release. "President Obama's executive order is a strong signal to patients, scientists, and the nation that we have his full support to pursue science that may accelerate progress to new treatments and possible cures for diabetes."

Stem cell research has long been a social and ethical lightning rod. Former President George W. Bush limited federal spending for embryonic stem cell research to a small number of cell lines created before August 9, 2001. Researchers, who say that many of those early cell lines have major drawbacks, were nevertheless forced to use them in order to receive federal dollars. It is hoped that their research with embryonic stem cells, which have the potential to turn into any cell in the human body, will eventually lead to better treatments and possible cures for diseases like diabetes.

Categories: Diabetes, Diabetes, Government & Policy, New Cure Research, Professional Issues, Research, The Cure, Type 1 Issues

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 24 March 2009

Thank God Bush is GONE.

Posted by Anonymous on 24 March 2009

I recently learned about a complete scientific nutritional product that has helped many people with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. One woman who had been labeled legally blind told me she now has 20/40 in one eye and 20/60 in the other. The products (reliv.com) do not claim to cure anything, but they nourish the immune system so that it can do what it was created to do. I know it sounds unblievable, but it costs nothing to check it out. There are opportunity events on every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 9:30 a.m. in about 14 countries throughout the world. You can find them on the web site. It also has a foundation in memory of the microbiologist who developed the first food product to be patented in the USA. It has made a huge difference in my life!

Posted by Anonymous on 25 March 2009

I have been a juvy-diabetic since i was 11 mnths old, not to mention we just found out my husbans learned he is a type 2 diabetic.I hope and pray they find a cure for this disease it's more crippeling than anyone without it can imagine.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 March 2009

Thank our President for ending the 8 year ban on stem cell research. So many years have caused so many people to live and possibly pass on without the research that may have provided a better life. A HOPE is kindled again.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 March 2009

I applaude the decision made by the president. Having a husband and 2 children with diabetes this is a long time coming

Posted by Anonymous on 30 March 2009

As a type I diabetic myself (also hoping for a cure), I do not support federal funding for embryonic stem-cell research (at any cost). This is unethical, not necessary (given private funding and adult stem-cells) and a waste of already sparse taxpayer funds.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 April 2009

I believe that you need to just yea

Posted by Anonymous on 25 May 2009

Thanks to President Obama the potential cure for Type 1 Diabetes now shows promise and hope for what may be available in the next 5-10 years time (preferably sooner). To those "radicals" (I would like to use a more harsher profanity but I am not permitted to express on this letter), that believe stem cell research is "unethical" do us all a favour and keep quiet.

I and sick and tired of these "radicals" arguing that stem cell research is unethical, when it can CURE SEVERAL autoimmune diseases.
My message to those "radicals" is once a potential cure is available through Stem Cells, how fast will YOU be in line to receive this treatment???? So put-up or
S--t up.

In my honest opinion the biggest sinners right now are those Pharmaceutical giants who are making billions of dollars from raking up costs for SELLING ALL diabetes Paraphernalia.

Posted by Anonymous on 12 October 2009

I'm all for finding the cure for this and other diseases. But if it means someone has to pick parts from dead or aborted embryos, I'm out. Sorry. That's just very selfish and sick. I'll stick with my disease. Leave the little embryos alone, for God's sake.

Posted by Anonymous on 20 December 2009

I have long wrestled with this ethics issue and have decided it is akin to organ donation by the mother and will leave the rest in God's hands!

Posted by gina4xoxoxo on 6 February 2010

if a baby/fetus is already dead (sorry to sond so blunt) and its organs and other things could save four lives, why is that unethical? as long as we're not killing them for it, what is the problem? unfortunately, they are already dead. why not use what they can to save other people from this debilitating disease??? nobody can understand how intense diabetes is, esp type 1. it's not a disease where you take a pill and go to the doc in a month and get a refill. this is a disease that occupies every MINUTE of your ENTIRE life! you always have to wonder or deal with is my sugar high? is it low? can i drive? i can't eat cuz it's too high. now why did i just plummet to 20? now i'm sick for a day from having to treat such a low. why do my feet feel like there's a blow torch on them constantly? why can't i see/everything so blurry? blah blah blah blahhhhhhhhhhhh blah! yes, that's what we go through daily! for those of you who have unethical opinions about it, i'd like for you to live in one of our shoes for JUST ONE DAY! just a day! then you might change your mind... immediately. anyone hear how fast this could come into effect? i am about to start dialysis (yes, another fun thing we have to deal with eventually) and I am terrified. I am on transplant list but I'd MUCH rather do the stem cell thing. thanks! i would love to hear from anyone who would like to talk. you can email me at my username that you see here and then "at aol dot com" but with the actual symbols and dot, etc. usually these don't let you post addys, which is why i did that. thanks!! hope to hear from someone!!

Posted by Jdubwordman on 7 February 2010

The person who said stem cell research is unethical appears to be T-1, so I imagine he or she is aware of the every minute thing. I know I am aware of it. I supported the bill to fund it when Bush was in office, I asked everyone I knew to call their representatives and tell them to support it. When Bush vetoed the bill that 70 percent of the US supported, it was like a kick in the stomach. If you feel it's unethical then go volunteer/help prevent abortions.
Jeff