Government & Policy Archives

Sotomayor, Diabetes, and the Supreme Court

Jun 5, 2009

Should Judge Sotomayor’s type 1 diabetes have anything to do with her Supreme Court nomination? Add your comments below.

As you probably know by now, President Obama's first nominee to the Supreme Court is Judge Sonia Sotomayor. If she is confirmed to the lifelong post, Sotomayor will be not only the first Hispanic to sit on the high court, but also the first Justice with type 1 diabetes.

Enter a fascinating dialogue on what conditions should preclude a person from sitting on the high court. The Internet is buzzing about whether Sotomayor's diabetes should have anything at all to do with her nomination.

To this writer's mind, stirring up controversy about Sotomayor's diabetes is just a way for her detractors to try to prevent her from getting onto the Supreme Court. This woman has handled her diabetes just fine since she was eight years old. And besides, it's a slippery slope-if we start disqualifying people now for symptoms they might have some time in the future, where will we stop?

I am all for Sotomayor's making it to the Supreme Court. She's a woman, she grew up working class, she's Hispanic, and she has diabetes. Of course, just because Sotomayor is a Latina with diabetes doesn't mean that she will vote in line with her life experiences. The June 8, 2009, issue of Time magazine quoted a 2001 speech that Sotomayor made at the University of California, Berkeley, in which she said that a judge's gender and ethnicity should affect the decisions she makes. Then she quoted Justice Sandra O'Connor as saying that "a wise old man and a wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases." Sotomayor disagreed, saying that "a wise Latina woman might well reach a different conclusion than a white male who has lived a different life."

Right on.

The thing is, as Time points out, that Sotomayor has thus far made mostly small decisions as a judge (compared to, as Time calls it, the "big picture" decisions justices make on the Supreme Court). Only when Sotomayor sits on the highest court in the land will she be able to put her life experience to work making decisions that support us all.

What do you think about President Obama's nomination of Sonia Sotomayor? Do you think she's going to be good for the diabetes community? Do you think she should not be given the chance because she has type 1? Do you think she will use her life experiences when making decisions? Add your comments below.

Categories: Celebrities, Diabetes, Diabetes, Government & Policy, Type 1 Issues

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 7 June 2009

When I first learned that the nominee had type 1 diabetes, I said omg, she will not make it through. Type one's are fragile and very often do not make good decisions. Their type affects the mind and ability to think clearly. Her doctor may say its ok to be a judge as an apeasement to his patient, but it really is not. Even she probably knows it.

Posted by Anonymous on 9 June 2009

Whether the nominee has DM or not is irrelevant. If appointed, she should base her decisions on the constitution of the United States, not on her life experiences, or her color, or her gender or her religion. How is it that we, as a nation, have come so far in equality issues, but then end up back in the same place making descriminating comments about white men?

Posted by Anonymous on 9 June 2009

I feel greatfull since naming a person that has a challenge attached to her or his live is difficult and time has shown that he or she can outperform us is a blessing. Is the essence of human nature, is the essence of resilience that make us one of a kind. Is the maximum expression of human behaviour in its most developed stage.
Finally it show us that human sometimes need strong challenges to wake the "force" living among us.

Posted by Anonymous on 12 June 2009

I think if she travels alot and has long work hours plus great stress, it will effect her deceisions. We all know about the "Diabetic explosive Personality changes" when our glucose readings are not normal, plus fatigue,and fainting. lots to think about.

Posted by Anonymous on 14 June 2009

Ms Sotomayor has managed her diabetes all these years and has also managed to lead a productive life. She has the expertise to deal with challenges and bring a different perspective to the job which is much needed. We live in a complex world and her background and experience are necessary to deal with the problems she will face.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

My 19 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for 9 years. She uses an insulin pump, wears a real time blood glucose sensor, has an HbA1C in the low 6's and just finished her freshman year of college- away. The sky is the limit. Sotomayor should not be "judged" negatively for her diabetes. She can do this job.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

If Type 1 diabetes can disqualify her then they better re-check all the Supreme Court Judges for all addictions even if they are not actively using or drinking, anyone that had TB,Malaria, or 100 other diseases that have issues which can recur.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

What does diabetes have to do with it. I am 71 years old, have had diabetes, type 1, for more than 44 years. I was a sucessful mechanical engineer, retired age 66. Now I teach & sing at my church.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

I commend Ms. Sotamayor for all she has accomplished. That said, she is still a person with typ 1 diabetes and a female. Those two can lead to problematic situations whether you are having a low or high blood sugar. I know...I'm type 1 and a female. I know for a fact that she will not be able to control her thought processes 100% of the time due to her diabetes. It is essential to have a clear head at all times to be on the Supreme Court of the United States of America. She isn't the correct nominee for this time period in the United States of America.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

It really upsets me to read that just because someone has Type 1 Diabetes that it means that they couldn't or shouldn't be allowed to succeed in such a prestigous endeavor. Especially for someone who has functioned normally for many, many years with Diabetes like Judge Sotomayor, there is no reason to believe it will affect the way she continues to handle her career. Her nomination and hopefully her appointment will set a huge example to all those young children with Type 1 Diabetes, that anything is STILL possible, whatever they set their mind to, they can accomplish. Living with Type 1 Diabetes is a challenge, but it should never be used as a roadblock or a reason to deny something that one has worked so hard for and deserves.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

If she is in control of her diabetes, then her job should not discriminate against her.
She will be part of a group of her peers, when making judgements. She is a GREAT candidate and is as good as anyone else. She will add diversity to a predominately white and black group of people.
If diabetes is so bad as some of the comments left, imagine that everyone with type 1 diabetes took Social Security Disability benefits. It is just foolish to think that way... A lot of productive and creative people would be out of work and things that they do would be lost or never
have been. I have type 1 diabetes... I can not tell you the lives I have saved in my medical profession nor can I count the lives that have improved after my care. Diabetes has made me who I am, but has not left me helpless. I think it has made me a better practitioner. STOP all the foolish thinking bad about the limitations of diabetes. Think diversity.

Posted by Edith on 15 June 2009

All this makes me angry. I think she is amazing. The first thing we know about her is NOT her diabetes, and that is the way it should be. I have been an insulin dependent diabetic as long as she - 45 years. I was 29 when diagnosed,now on a pump for 10 years, because I was tired of multiple daily insulin injections. I held many busy responsbible jobs, worked many long hours at some of them, traveled extensively, never missed a day of work due to diabetes. Everyone always knew I had diabetes. If it upset them that I tested my blood sugar, I just told them to look the other way. I am now a retiree, doing many hours of volunteer work including the hospital emergency room, state boards, service on foundation boards. As a previous writer said, what does diabetes have to do with it. Obviously, Judge Solamayer knows how to handle her diabetes. and get on with her life. A lesson to all.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

Whoever is making the negative comments here obviously knows very little about type 1 diabetes or how it affects one's mental processes. I have been a type 1 diabetic for over 30 years and had a lengthy and relatively successful career as an attorney. Appellate judges, especially at the level of the U.S. Supreme Court, would NEVER be in the position where a hypoglycemic episode would affect their decision on a legal issue. Their opinions are researched and written over a lengthy period of time, often months, with most of the actual work being done under their guidance by their law clerks and staff attorneys. They do not make snap judgments that would be affected by short term blood glucose levels at a given moment on a given day. If you don't understand that, you need to retake high school civics class.
The only legitimate issue here is whether long term diabetes will affect the judge's longevity and overall health. Will she suffer complications such as neuropathy or retinopathy that will lead to limb amputation or blindness? Will her life be complicated or shortened by kidney disease or cardiovascular problems which diabetics are more prone to? Diabetics on average live 10 years less than "normal" people. If she is in good control, she may have live a normal life span, but even those in "good control" often suffer diabetic complications. By all accounts, Judge Sotomayor is in good control. Professionally, she is very well-qualified for the job. Hopefully, she will live a long, healthy life and will continue to serve her nation honorably for a long time. Incidentally--the same questions could very well have been asked about Chief Justice Roberts, who has suffered several epileptic-like seizures over the last few years.

Posted by bobdimi on 15 June 2009

I think several of the anonymous posts have nothing whatsoever to do with concerns over decisions made while having a low blood sugar. I'm a type 1 since 13 (over 35 years)and made lots of decisions, good and bad, some hard, some not so hard, I've had some success and some failures, but really, none of it was because of a low blood sugar. The anonymous posters are using their diabetes as an excuse for their own poor choices. Shame on all of you. Hooray for someone who is in control of their life and their diabetes without any excuses.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

Type I diabetes is not a disability! She has already demonstrated that.

I know a man who developed Type I ~ 1927. Now in his 80's he is still going strong, and is mentally sharp.

Posted by Bleu on 15 June 2009

Wow! I am amazed at many of the negative comments coming from the "anonymous" ppl re: not being able to perform because of a type 1 diagnosis. Shame, shame! We, with type 1 diabetes, suffer like many others with chronic conditions, but that makes us stronger. Let us not be victims, but great learners and survivors of our uninvited conditions.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

good grief....to that first poster ----Type 1s are "fragile"? are you kidding? we're some of the the strongest people there are! "Their type affects the mind and decision making..." it sure does. It makes us be doubly, triply sure we're doing the right thing. That's who I'd like to see on the Supreme Court. Someone who is that strong and will think through her decision-making numerous times!

Posted by Jerry1423 on 15 June 2009

I was a bit upset when Obama mentioned that when Sotomayor was first dianosed with diabetes that she was told that there were many things that she would not be able to do ...
I have been a type 1 diabetic for 34 years - I was atheletic, I have two college degrees (I completed much of it later at night, evening college) and my career involves traveling, stress, decision making, and hard work - and I am doing just fine.
I also get irked when people use diabetes as an excuse for not dong some things, or deserve extra credit when some things are accomplished by them.
Yes it can be a hassle living with diabetes, but there are plenty of other things in life much worse than it. There are some things we cannot do (military and others) but everything else in life is out there for us.
It looks like I will disagree strongly with Sotomayor's stances on most things but whatever the case I hope she uses good judicial ethics when making her decisions.

Posted by Joan Hoover on 15 June 2009

Having never been a great fan of diabetes, my first reaction was to say that "If Ms. Sotomayor has Type One Diabetes, she already knows that there IS NO Justice." It is not awarded based upon who deserves it.
Beyond that, diabetes should NOT be considered among her qualifications, pro or con, and therefore, neither should her gender, Latin background, nor the condition of her upbringing.
Those of us who live with diabetes should be among the first to oppose any sort of selective discrimination. We have recognized and rejected that evil game long since.

Posted by nurseblondi on 15 June 2009

This is directed towards anonymous on June 7th & anyone who shares the view that types 1's are not equally qualified. As a nurse & a CDE AND a person with type 1 x 36 years, I find this comment VERY offensive. The truth is diabetes in general affects mentation & those with type 2 are actually at greater risk for Alzheimer's. Type 2 can also be "fragile". As other writers have pointed out, she has obviously been controlling her diabetes fabulously! She should serve as a ROLE MODEL for others. She is a PERSON 1st who happens to have this chronic disease. This disease and her being female have nothing to do with her ability to make rational deicsions based on law.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

I would like to hear more abot her diabetes and how she deals with it. The appointment is lifelong if one wants it. The skills needed to handle diabetes and manage it well can be transfered to all areas of ones life and vice versa,
Woman with Type 1 for 40 years who adopted a special needs child as a single Mom. Judge me too.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

Diabetes should have nothing to do performing her job. I think that most of us with Type 1 agree. People without diabetes can have moments where they are tired, bored, etc and arent clear headed. If diabetes is a consideration, then what about the justices that have served with cancer, etc. or other ailments. However, I do believe that her rulings should be based on the CONSTITUTION not on whether she is female, Latina, etc. I do not support her as a nominee.

Posted by LeeH. on 15 June 2009

I find comments that describe a Type 1 who is a person who may have some kind of mental/physical pressure rather disturbing. Who is to say this is so for Type 1s? The statement that every one knows that diabetics have these issues to deal with are those who are very uninformed.

I feel that Ms Sotomayor should be selected or rejected solely on her credentials,and experiences. If we allow ethnic background, and health, to be a part of one's ability to serve in any capacity - we will fail as a nation - eventually.

The qualification for Supreme Court: are her

decisions based on upholding the constitution,

not what disease she may have. Diabetes can and

is controlled by most diabetics. Over time

the body reacts to elevated BG but old age

can mess up your mind too.

Posted by dirob2 on 15 June 2009

I am HIGHLY offended by the anonymous statements made June 7 and 9. I doubt these individuals have any experience with Type 1 diabetes and are simply stirring up more trouble because they don't want Sotomayer to make it to the Supreme Court. This kind of ignorant belief and the willingness to make such comments shows that the person(s) writing haven't the intelligence to make such a choice anyway. It makes me wonder what condition is affecting THEIR brain.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

Those of you who made comments about poor decision making as a result of Type 1 must not be very good at managing your diabetes.

How stupid, uninformed and judgmental. I have made it through graduate school, high stress jobs and more just fine b/c I know enough to stop and check/correct when I need to. My life and days are not perfect--but no one's are! I am more level headed than at least half of my coworkers. What is their excuse?

Posted by Anonymous on 15 June 2009

I DO NOT WHY DIABETES SHOULD EVEN BE MENTIONED, IN HER CASE!! I HAVE BEEN LIVING WITH DIABETES FOR 10 YEARS NOW AND MY LIFE IS AS NORMAL AS ANYONE ELSE'S OUT THERE....MAYBE EVEN MORE!!!...SINCE I DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL, I DON'T SMOKE AND I TAKE CARE OF MY HEALTH EVEN MORE MAYBE THAT ANY NON-D PERSON !!! WHO CAN GUARANTEE THAT EVEN MR.OBAMA'S HEART WONT FAIL??? IS HEALTH OR LIFE GUARANTEED TO ANY NON-DIABETIC PERSON?
AND, REGARDING TO THE "LATINA" ....LET'S FACE IT!....BLACKS OR LATINOS HAVE THE SAME ABILITY TO THINK OR BE SMART AS A GRINGO !!

Posted by robtype1 on 15 June 2009

My son is 8 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2006. I think it is awesome that Ms. Sotomayor can show kids my son's age that just because you have diabetes that you don't have to use this aweful disease as a "crutch". I don't know very much about Ms. Sotomayor, but from what I read of this article if she feels like she can do the job then more power to her. I think we need more people like her and Nick Jonas in the public eye to show the doubtful people of this world that the Diabetics are just as good as anyone else.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

Sandra Day O'connor and Ruth Bader Ginsberg have had or do have cancer. The older Justices have age related illnesses. DM is not the issue. Her comments,however, are.

Ethnicity shouuld not have been dragged into this. Findings should be based on the Constitution and relevant legal cases.

I have my dobts about her based on her comments. I would not appoint her for that reason.

Posted by shosty on 16 June 2009

I was amazed to even see this question debated. I look forward to the day when a question like this will not even be asked.

My daughter has had type 1 since age 4 and is doing fine at a top Ivy League college. I have never seem her judgement or other abilities affected by diabetes, ever.

I had no idea there was prejudice like this out there. I am shocked.

Posted by Jenny A on 16 June 2009

Diabetes is not a crutch, it is a stepping stone used every day when a person with diabetes gets out of bed. That person chooses, as does all people, how to accept the things they can not change and make something positive out of it. Being diabetic should not hinder a person's performance at their job if they are taking a positive approach to diabetes management.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

To all of the nay sayers, are you aware that to disqualify Sotomayer based on her sexuality or diabetes is discrimination? Why should she not have the exact same rights and opportunities as the next person?

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

We all know that having diabetes doesn't affect what you can achieve. Your mind & approach to your self-care can. Think Nicole Johnson & many others. Even olympic gold medalist Gary Hall will tell you that. This woman is pretty impressive, her diabetes is a non-issue.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

kiltyone your comments are offensive and whom are you to judge? The fact that Sonia Sotomayor has made it to where she is today shows that her mental and physical capabilities have not hindered her in any way. We cannot anticipate what might happen in the future as any of us are prone to disease and health issues. We need more people in the system that represent what America is today.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

I am type 2 and have been able to raise two children now adults get a BA and work many years. Sotomayor will do a great job.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

Reading some of these post just makes my blood boil. The fact that Judge Sotomayor has Type 1 diabetes should have nothing to do if she can handle the job. Obviously she has done a very good job so far.Shame on you people that still view Type 1 as a crutch, it is that kind of mindset that makes some people with Type 1 think they can't do what everyone else in the community can. Take the time to get educated before putting your opinion out there

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

Having Type 1 diabetes should not disqualify her from doing anything. Maybe her political belief or sexual orientation might, but her diabetes shouldn't even be an issue. If anything, she is more in tune with her body and is able to recognize its signals better than someone without Type 1 diabetes. Think about it folks. The only difference between someone with Type 1 diabetes and someone without is that fact that one body runs in manual (Type 1 diabetes) and one runs in automatic (non-diabetic). (Pardon the car analogy, but I figured that it was an appropriate example).

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

I think being diabetic is just about as important as the color of her hair, the color of her eyes, whether she installs a toilet paper roll upside down or backwards, and other equally disqualifying factors. This is all totally ridiculous. She's obviously proven to be an excellent judge so far or she wouldn't even be nominated. How many extraneous things are her opponents going to try to drag into the decision?

Posted by Skeeter on 16 June 2009

This whole thing is ridiculous! Whether or not she is diabetic is about as important as the color of her eyes or hair, whether she has ingrown toenails, whether she loads the toilet paper roll upside down or backwards. She obviously has managed her diabetes very well so far, so we can expect that she will continue to do so. This is just another excuse for her opponents to try to disqualify her.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

A person with Type 1 diabetes is unlikely to stand out among justices who, in the years since 1789, have included people with all sort of chronic conditions, from heart conditions to alcoholism to terminal cancer.

Posted by S6730 on 16 June 2009

As a Type 1 I am thrilled that Sonia Sotomayor has been nominated to become a Supreme Court Justice!!! We Type 1's are terrific and can do anything!! I am tired of being discriminated against! Other than being Type 1, I am in better shape than 96% of the US population. Yet only now {since jan 5} as a Floridian I can finally only get very basic state mandated health insurance. No one will dare illigally tell us to not to give ourself our necessary insulin shots in public places becaus it offends some! The American with disabilities Act will be followed 100% and protect our legal rights and we will win in court against those who discriminate against us!

Posted by Florian on 16 June 2009

The questions that should be asked are, how well does she manage her diabetes, how well does she control her blood sugar, and how many hypoglycemic reactions has she had in the past?
I don't think I would want someone voting on a critical issue who was having a low blood sugar reaction.
Maybe she should be required to follow the same rules and regulations that commercial airline pilots with T1 do.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

I too have had type 1 -- 61 years since I was 7 -- with many accomplishments. I don't worry about her mental abilities but the fact that she is more likely to get the long term complications -- neuropathies, cardiovascular, renal and visual. BTW, she isn't lesbian and who cares if she is.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

Oh boy, the discriminatory comments about the "fragile" diabetics who cannot make good decisions when their blood sugars are low is a bit too much. I have had Type 1 for 35 years and am a hospital nurse. I have never been unable to make a good decision because of low blood sugar. Experienced diabetics know to carry glucose tablets or some sort of sugar product with them and they know the symptoms to watch for so that a low blood sugar can be treated. It only takes a few minutes for the blood sugar to be corrected. To say that this is a reason for her not to be a supreme court judge is a mistake.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

To Anonymous comments on June 7,12,15: how narrow-minded can you be when this world is filled with people of all ethnicities with many different health issues. How discriminatory can one be to even suggest that a person with type 1 diabetes cannot live well in this society. I am appalled that such thinking exists. I have type 1 diabetes for 46 years and counting. I've been employed in the pharmaceutical industry for more than 35 years. One's challenges regarding diabetes is a blessing in disguise. It makes one stronger, willful and more tolerant to those who lack sensitivity. I think Ms. Sotomayor will perform any of the duties set before her without regard to her diabetes. Living well in the Bronx!

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

I think that the comments about out-of-range blood glucose levels affecting Ms. Sotomayor's judicial decisions are ridiculous. I'm fourteen and have only been Type 1 for two years, but I can tell how I'm feeling and if my blood sugar isn't normal. Sotomayor has had diabetes since she was eight. She should be in tune with how she feels when her blood sugars are high or low. What do people think, she'll collapse on the bench in a hypoglycemic fit?

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

I am thrilled that Judge Sotomayor has been nominated. Her Type 1 DM should be a non-issue, and it's nice to see that the people doing the nominating think so. It is a good thing to have a broader range of backgrounds on the court - it leads to better understanding and perspective. I don't understand the concerns about her making decisions as a "wise latina woman." We have had many long years of decisions made exclusively by "wise white men." Some of them were mistaken, and could have been avoided if they had a broader perspective.

Posted by Bleu on 16 June 2009

The Nazis used the same discriminatory remarks about German society, and purifying the race. They 1st targeted (extenguishing) what they deemed as "the handicapped," or unhealthy, then moved toward the homosexual population, and so on. The "Anonymous" folks are either projecting their perceived limitations or attempting to sabotage a judge based on Nazi schemes. When will the discrimination stop?

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

This debate reminds me of the offensive comments brought about during the women's movement--when females were being kept out of the board room, with the justification that their menses would make them too fragile to make decisions, and they may fly off the handle during "that time of month" Thankfully, we have overcome that period of time, and find women in all high levels of companies (but not nearly enough.)

And all these posts regarding Type 1 diabetics and fragility; please do not apply what you know about diabetes or someone with diabetes to me or any other diabetic. We are all individuals; some may aspire to higher vocations than others, but that has nothing to do with the condition.

signed, A female, and T1 for 38+ year and counting...

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

My name is Angie. I live in Michigan. I am 33 and have been type 1 for 24 years. I am delighted that Sotomayer may become a supreme court judge. We NEED type 1's in these high positions to help with the diabetic revolution that is going to happen in this country.

As far as will her diabetes get in the way of her doing a good job...as long as she has good control why wouldn't it. I hate to think that anyone would even question this. I hope that this is not the way type 2's see type 1's. That's ludacris. I run a daycare center, a cleaning business, work in home health care one day a week, and fix computers for a living. I DO ALL THIS to support my family and my daughter and step children. (Yes, I'm head of my family too.)

Poster #1: I hope this helps you break down some of the stereotypes you may have about type 1's abilities. Comments like that are so offensive and belittling.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 42 years. Certainly there have been rough moments dealing with hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia but I have had a very successful, productive life and hope to continue to do so for some time to come. A person nominated for the Supreme Court should be judged on her or his qualifications as a legal scholar not on a condition. Justice Roberts has a seizure disorder, surely some of the justices have heart disease and who knows what else. Should we make each candidate go through a knit picking physical before being considered?

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

It has always amazed me that peole with diabetes are defined by their disease. Have you ever heard a person with heart disease called a cardiac? If a person is qualified to do a job, let them do it.

Posted by Anonymous on 16 June 2009

I have been married to a type one diabetic for 23 years. I knew nothing about diabetes before I married him. If I had I would not have married. It is possible he is crazy from his ethnicity. They are crazy people and if their sugar is high it does effect their brains. They throw fits and do not think clearly. I am also in the medical field for over 32 years and I know what I am speaking of. I would not think she would be a good candidate for any diabetic to be nominated. I have seen too many patients have too many issues with their mind with the diabetes.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 June 2009

Please!!!! There are people right now as we speak in positions that have diabetes, Type 1 & 2, that you don't know they have diabetes. If she was in a wheel chair would that prevent her from doing a good job? Please!!!! for goodness sake people OPEN your mind and please stop being so ignorant!

Posted by Anonymous on 18 June 2009

I don't agree with her politcs and I don't think she be get the nomination. Now!! Her being Type 1 has nothing to do with this and I could careless if she is or is not, she should not be held back or discriminated against because she is Type 1 or has any other diseise that would just be plain wrong. She should be judged on her merits and not her physical conditions. There is some guy that's in a wheel chair that is very intelligent, has to speak through a computer and can only commincate with a pencil or a device that strikes a key board. he has proven to many that your body does not have to work but your mind can be just fine and in his case be way above the norm for intelligance.

Posted by cde on 19 June 2009

Once (or 30 times) more it is clear that having DM1 is not always equivalent to having HYPOglycemia (which can, in the very short term, affect mental abilities) and HYPERglycemia (which can, in the short or medium or long term, affect mental abilities).

Not all persons with DM1 are walking around with 40 mg/dL or 275 mg/dL. Not all persons with DM1 accept BG levels that may impede their maximal intellectual functioning.

Posted by Anonymous on 1 July 2009

You can tell by looking at her face that Sonia Sotomayor is a long-term, heavy drinker. I believe the diabetes is secondary to alcoholism.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 July 2009

Diabetes has absolutely nothing to do with this case. After fifty years with type one diabetes, for a person to say we make poor decisions and are week or fragile as a generality suggests their level of intelligence, below 70. Once a liberal loon always a liberal loon. PS stay away "OUR" health care.

Posted by Anonymous on 24 March 2010

I am amazed at the ignorance and judgmental stupidity expressed by many of the respondents to this issue. Ms Sotomayor is an accomplished and learned women who happens to have type 1 diabetes. So what? I am also an accomplished professional female who has lived well with my type 1 diabetes for 48 years, I feel I can vouch for her regarding the tenacity and self discipline it takes to live a full and productive life in spite of having type 1 diabetes as she has done so far. She obviously has done what she needs to do to take care of herself, otherwise she would not be where she is today. Good luck Sonia. May you judge wisely and thank you for stepping up to the plate to serve the people and the justice system of our great nation.

Comment: