Type 2 Issues Archives

What People with Type 1 Diabetes can Learn from Type 2s

Apr 19, 2010

Admit it, Type 1s. In weaker moments, you look down your noses at the Type 2 diabetics. You know that their disease can result from poor lifestyle choices. You know that their treatment regimen, compared with yours, is simple.

And you're really tired of folks telling you: "Oh, my grandfather had diabetes, too!"

"It's almost like sibling rivalry," says diabetes educator and author Constance Brown-Riggs. "People with Type 1 diabetes feel that those with Type 2 get all the attention. People with Type 2 feel that Type 1 diabetes is 'really bad diabetes.' "

But clinicians such as Brown-Riggs and diabetics themselves point out that both types hold similar challenges and consequences. As a matter of fact, Type 2 diabetics sometimes outperform their Type 1 brethren.

Impossible? Far from it.  The best-controlled, most-motivated Type 2s have lessons for all of us - Type 1s and even other Type 2s. Here are a few.

Taking a wake-up call

Type 1s know their disease isn't their fault. Type 2s don't have that reassurance. But that means some take their diagnosis as a serious motivator.

Brown-Riggs told me, "I have one women in my practice that was diagnosed with type 2 about eight years ago. She absolutely took her diagnosis as a wake-up call. She carefully plans her meals, counts carbs, exercises, monitors blood glucose and maintains regular contact with her health care team."

With that work, the woman is able to manage her illness without medication.

Brown-Riggs's patient understood that she got herself into this situation and it was now her job to get herself out of it. For Type 1s, the diagnosis is permanent. But that doesn't mean they can't learn from the best Type 2s and realize that the key to success isn't a particular device or nutrition plan. It's their own willpower.

To the treadmill

You can rededicate yourself to the basics, but where do you start? Why not diet and physical activity?

For Type 1s, diet lessons can fade into the background after years or decades with the disease. Why not take some extra insulin and eat an extra doughnut? Brown-Riggs has seen the direct consequences of this thinking: fatter Type 1s.

"I just saw someone in the office today - type 1 and obese," Brown-Riggs said. "So clearly the conversation revolved around weight and lifestyle."

Type 2 diabetic and stock car racer Richard Palasik finds himself routinely checking nutritional information on packages at the grocery store. He points to obesity as a challenge not just for diabetics, but for our culture.

"Obesity is almost the norm," he said. "Not the rarity."

For Type 2s, connections between weight, exercise and their illness are crystal clear. They can't afford to discount them. So if you're a Type 1 who manages fairly well with insulin but sticks to the sofa -- get a move on! Those pounds aren't going to lose themselves.

No change is too small

Type 2 patient Barbara DiRisio exercises at least five days a week and takes her oral medication faithfully. Since her diagnosis in 2001, she said, "I have only missed my pills perhaps twice a year."

But DiRisio offers another tip, one that might be easy for Type 1s to dismiss: "I never drink fruit juices or colas," she said. "Only diet cola."

Type 1 diabetics surely know not to drink sugared sodas. But how many other small changes do we miss? DiRisio, a Type 2 diabetic since 2001, has improved her health in a simple, direct way.

Do we take the stairs at work rather than the elevator? Do we remember to check our blood sugar that extra time when we're unsure? Do we, like stock car racer Palasik, make sure to inspect the labels on food we buy?

When when we make these small things habits, we can improve overall diabetes control and health.

Head back to class

Type 2 diabetics may not have dealt with their disease as long as many Type 1s, but that means they can have an educational advantage. Once diagnosed, many Type 2s go to sessions with a diabetic educator. They learn about healthy practices. They get handouts.

Depending on a Type 1's level of engagement, years may have passed since a session with a diabetic specialist. And like most areas of medicine, the diabetes field doesn't stand still. Brown-Riggs said she often has to bring Type 1s up to date with the latest research and information - if they even had the knowledge to begin with.

"Many that have had diabetes for years have had no formal education," she said, "particularly when it comes to nutrition."

Ultimately, extra communication with professionals can only help your control. Having to explain yourself to someone can be a powerful motivator.

Catch some Zs

Author John Hedtke connects his Type 2 diabetes diagnosis with a lack of sleep. "I was working a full-time job and writing books in the evenings, shorting myself on sleep pretty constantly for years at a time," he says.

According to the National Sleep Foundation, more and more research makes the same connection. Lack of sleep equals high blood pressure, obesity and Type 2 diabetes risk.

Type 1s already have their diagnosis, but the applications are clear nonetheless. High blood pressure and obesity complicate diabetes management. Reducing or preventing both improve blood sugars and overall health.

Hedtke has also found, firsthand, that no change is too small. "I'm actually napping more and working only one full-time job at a time," he said.

-- Don't let it slow you down

Yes, managing insulin-dependent diabetes takes time, energy and effort. But Type 2 diabetics have something else to teach: Don't let the disease become your life. Make it another part of who you are

That's what Palasik has done. He's the crew chief with California's Desert Dingo Racing, which runs the official World Diabetes Day off-road race car and competes in the Baja 1000. He's taken the wheel of the team's stock Volkswagen Beetle.

"I don't let the disease stop me doing what I want to do or hamper me in any way," Palasik said. The strenuous effort of desert driving makes his blood sugar rise, so he makes adjustments before each race, often giving himself extra insulin.

"You don't have to let it define you," he said. "Just follow the rules."

Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics may never be on exactly the same page. The difference are real and profound. The average age of diagnosis. The treatment regimen. The long-term prognosis.

But the epidemic of Type 2 diabetes means that more people than ever are learning about the disease and that more education and treatment is available now than ever before. Not everything can work for both groups. But much can.

"It's just not as cut and dry as it use to be," Brown-Riggs said. "Which is actually good news."

Self-care Behaviors

Dietician and certified diabetes educator Constance Brown-Riggs' new book,  The African American Guide to Living Well with Diabetes, comes out in July. She points out that despite the big differences between Type 1s and Type 2s, "self-care behaviors are the same regardless of what type of diabetes an individual has." She lists seven categories:

1. Healthy eating
  2. Being active
  3. Monitoring
  4. Taking medication
  5. Problem solving
  6. Reducing risks
  7. Healthy coping

Categories: Blood Sugar, Community, Diabetes, Diabetes, Exercise, Food, Insulin, Losing weight, Type 1 Issues, Type 2 Issues

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 20 April 2010

okay, I'll admit it. You want to know why? I'm Type 1 and am constantly judged, polarlized, even refused health care and AFLAC coverage because of the stigma of Type 2. I am realtively thin but when people hear I have "diabetes", they assume that I was overweight and that's how I got it. They say, what if you exercised more and dieted more? To which I have to say things like "I could never eat again and my blood sugar would rise". I am constantly explaining the difference between the two types. Both suck but Type 2 brings a lot of stereotyping and "bad press". Wish I could diet and take pills or my favorite "Reverse Diabetes"!!

Posted by Anonymous on 20 April 2010

I must agree with the first comment. Type 1 DM and Type 2 are completely different diseases with different etiologies. I have had Type 1 for 28 years now and am so tired of people assuming I am lazy and eat horribly. I did nothing to give my self this disease. If my beloved endocrinologist told me "Ya' know, if you eat a bit better and lost about 40 pounds, your diabetes would likely go away," I would be a perfect size 6 in no time flat. Type 2s have it easy.

And I am a Registered and Licensed Dietitian, so I know all about these two diseases!

Posted by Anonymous on 20 April 2010

This article really annoys me. I have been a type 1 for 43 years. I have told my doctor on numerous occasions that I wish type 1 was called diabetes and type 2 was given a totally different name. They are NOT the same disease! Try and explain that to non-diabetics. Listen very carefully. I cannot take a day off. If I eat everything my dietitian suggests, I must still check my blood glucose four to seven times per day and take numerous injections or bolus my pump. How many type 2's have been unconscious in the middle of the night due to low blood sugar? Do you know any type 2's with severe retinopathy?

Don't tell me about learning anything from a type 2. Until you've walked in a type 1's shoes, keep your opinions to yourself!

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

I'm a Type 2 and I'm ALSO tired of people assuming I got it by being lazy and eating horribly. Smugness doesn't help anyone.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

It is very frustrating when I being a Type 1 Diabetic and tell people that I have "Juvenile Diabetes" they are still convinced I got this illness through obesity and/or from a poor diet. I am not obese (and never was) and people are convinced I must have "lost a lot of weight" or my favorate comment is "you don't look like you have Diabetes in fact you look great" or get a "pep" talk from some silly fool who is giving ME a lecture on how to reduce carbs etc.. Where in fact I can be a dietician and write a book on the subject.

Thanks to Type 2's people who have Type 1 are a getting a "bad rap".

What is the difference??

Type 2 is cureable trough weight loss and diet control. Type 1 is NOT cureable. We are shackled for life with this dreaded disease. I am extremely bitter and very disapointed in research that a cure for T1D has not been found yet because there is too much money being made. I keep receiving the same silly mantra from Diabetes professionals that the cure will be available in 10 years. Well guess what I was told that 2 "decades" ago and yes there is still NO cure. I guess the bottom of the well is empty.

My venting is complete thank-you for your time in reading this commentary.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

Articles such as this lead to more frustration for Type 1's. There is no comparison between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. To say that Type 1's will LEARN something from Type 2's - I don't think so! My daughter has had Type 1 for 15 years and we've been through it all. Can't believe you wrote such an article!!

I also work in the diabetes education department at a hospital.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

You, the writer of this article have no idea what you are talking about. Ignorance is bliss!

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

I am a 31 year Type 1. I do OFTEN use the phrase, I can eat whatever I want, just pump more insulin. Am I overweight yes, is my glucose under control, yes and YES, I am tired of all the news about discoveries with better control/resolutions for Type 2. The HARDEST thing for me is finding that balance with glucose and exercise. I often feel that it is impossible.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

The information on Mr. Palasik's off road racing requires further explanation. I am type 1 and have been for 56 years. A day of strenuous off road racing would more likely cause hypoglycemia not, as the article indicates, hyperglycemia which Mr. Palasik with insulin after the race. Does Mr. Palasik skip his oral medication the morning of the race?

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

I have had Type I diabetes for 46 years - since I was 29 years old and I am also a nurse. I believe both types are different and serious and we each have to learn how to cope to give ourselves the best health we can. I feel that when people ask about diabetes they are giving me a chance to add to and hopefully improve their knowledge about the two diseases. The more we do this in a gentle, friendly, knowledgeable manner the more all of us benefit. Of course it is up to us to keep up to date with the latest accurate information so we do not add to the misinformation that some people have heard. Diabetes Health is one of the many places to help us with this.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

Ok, really... Type 1's can learn Type 2's???
Both my daughters live with Type 1, and they are only 6 years old. The daily regiment that they go through is insane!
Of course some Type 1s are overwheight but when compared to Type 2s, that are mostly overweight.
There is also a psychological impact. Imagine not being able to do anything to change the path of your life, or having the means to change the disease!! With Type 1, you minimize the complication by taking care of yourself and that is why I take care of my girls and they are the healthiest little girls, not overwheight in the least bit, super active, and full of joy... but to go and say that I can't say I don't let them have candy like any other child... or doughnut... (they are on insulin pumps).
Anyways, the two diseases are different and one can learn from anyone you shouldn't say that Type 1s should learn from Type 2s. That's ridiculous!

Posted by LeeHR on 21 April 2010

I have always believed that diabetes of any kind is a complex disease. The method we use for control is strictly an individual.

Obviously, for the general public, there is still too little known about any type of diabetes and to compare any of the types is very, very foolish!

My comments to friends and family: Do you have two hours for me to explain? There is so much to understand and obviously by your question to me you do not which is understandable because you do not have to deal with diabetes. Please give me the benefit of living with Type 1 for 54 years and am healthy and active.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

Ok, you're right, us Type 1s have a chip on our shoulder and you're right, we could learn something from the Type 2s.....but they could from us as well.
I recently did go to a diabetes educator and hadn't seen one in 20 years, so it was helpful. I think us as Type 1s have to seek more care for ourselves than they do, and most of us do that. We can use what is recommended for them to have conversations with our doctors and ask for more service from them.

I kind of feel like we've benefitted a bit from there being so many Type 2s......big business is working to meet their needs (more sugar free foods, candies, and juices!) so I'll say thanks to them for that!
but don't forget, We definitely have it harder and bear the brunt of judgements and opinions and have to work much harder at it, with no chance of a break.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

I think Type-1s are entitled to a chip on their shoulders. Try walking a tightrope every single day for your entire life and then listening to people tell you about how their grandmother had to take pills and couldn't eat sweets. If only!!!!
As for Type-1s and weight issues. Intensive insulin therapy, which is the only means of preventing or delaying complications, is linked to weight gain and it's not just a matter of willpower and getting off the couch.
Do your homework!

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

Wow! That article touched a nerve. I've had Type 1 for 34 years. With the Type 2 "epidemic" during the past couple of decades, there has been alot of media attention on "diabetes" and alot of misinformation. I think the idea that Type 2 is "curable" by diet and exercise is mistaken. We don't know what causes Type 2. There are plenty of obese, sedentary people who never develop Type 2. Those are "risk factors," not causes.
These are two different chronic diseases. We can certainly learn from anyone who suffers from a chronic disease.

Just a few thoughts.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

I sooooo agree with the majority of the type 1's here. I have been type 1 for 46 years (I'm 50), and I have yet to meet a type 2 who is, and has always been a 'health- concious eater'. If I had the opportunity to overcome diabetes, beleive me, I would do anything! I have had many type 2 diabetics come to me for counseling about diet and exercise; as that happens to be my credo and the answer to a healthy, and hopefully, long life for diabetics, regardless of the 'type', and I do not believe that type 2's have anything to teach me about the disease..

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

The writer of this article is ignorant beyond reason!

Posted by Anonymous on 21 April 2010

As a person with Type 1 diabetes ( 20 years ),a registered nurse, and a diabetes nurse educator I found this article ridiculous and cant beleive it was even allowed to be printed. I used to value this publication, but not anymore as you obviously have as little understanding of type 1 diabetes as the person who wrote this.
As others have commented above, you cannot comment unless you have walked in their shoes.Talk to a parent of a child with diabetes and learn something, you are trying to compare a self inflicted condition in most cases to something that is auto-immune in nature and as yet cant be prevented or cured. Insulin is not a cure, but thank you to Bunting and Best for saving millions of lives of INNOCENT victims.

Posted by grichardh on 22 April 2010

This article is ridiculous. Everybody with type 2 diabetes is NOT overweight with bad eating habits. Whether people have type 1 or type 2 diabetes it is a horrible disease and require lifestyle changes and, for most, medication management. Adding guilt to any disease, especially when so much is unknown about diabetes, is not helpful. It is also ignorant to rival type 1 diabetes against type 2 diabetes because in the end, they are BOTH diabetes. Instead, challenge people to live longer and minimize/delay complications of diabetes by adopting healthy lifestyle changes and taking medications (if needed). I encourage people with diabetes to look past articles such as this one and to take the opportunity to educate others about diabetes as much as possible.

Posted by Anonymous on 22 April 2010

One major difference? HYPOS! If type 2's knew what these were like they might try harder to avoid insulin/medication that can cause these. As a type I diabetic for over 35 years I have learnt that balancing diet/exercise/insulin is not an exact science (as some medics seem to think!)and I also have to explain to those who do not understand the disease that I am not a 'bad diabetic'?!

Posted by Anonymous on 22 April 2010

This article is a sham!!.. and shame on whoever wrote it.. they obviously are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
You can't compare the two diseases..can you comapre apples and oranges.. yes they are both fruit but they are different entirely!!
I am sick and tired of always hearing and reading about type 2's..am I biteer.. you bet I am .. I have lived with this wretched disease for 45 yrs.. I gave up having children (that was the norm back in the 60"s)
I was told in 1965 that there would be a cure in 5 yrs.. I"M STILL WAITING!!!

We need more exposure on type 1's..especially the complications..Hey if I only had to take a pill and lose weight..I'd jump for joy!!

Type 1's live with waiting for the other shoe to drop..Type 2's only worry about how they can have that cookie or piece of cake...every article written is about food and how to cheat.
I have to worry about being a blind amputee on dialysis..I only wish I could worry about how to have that cupcake!!

Posted by Anonymous on 22 April 2010

I think I get the general message of this article -"Type 1's and Type 2's are on the same team and should work together without looking down on each other." But the specific suggestions about what Type 1's can learn from Type 2's are troubling. It's insulting to Type 2's to say that they "got themselves into [this disease]." The causes of Type 2 are unknown, although it seems to be associated with obesity and sedentary life style. There are plenty of obese, sedentary people who do not suffer from Type 2. There are plenty of Type 2's who are not obese or sedentary. The suggestion that Type 1's seldom go to a diabetes educator is just plain wrong. The suggestion that Type 1's need more sleep is completely baseless (after looking at the small study that this observation is based on).

Posted by Anonymous on 22 April 2010

I just want to scream when I read an article like this!
I completely agree with the Anonymous writer that said, "Type 1 and Type 2 shouldn't both be called Diabetes." Wouldn't it be nice if we could all "reverse our Diabetes". Halle Berry said in an article she "reversed her Diabetes". Great role model!! Either Everyone is totally uneducated on Diabetes or I am missing out some amazing cure!!
I was diagnosed at 4 years old and am 36 years old. I would give anything to have Type 2 instead of Type 1. Life isn't easy and I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I am just stating the truth. I have had people say the most ignorant things to me when they heard I was a Diabetic. The public is uninformed and that creates a lot of confusion and ignorance in terms of Diabetes. I had someone say to me when I was fundraising for a Diabetes event, "why would I give you money, all you have to do is lose weight and it will be gone" The public is really uneducated about Diabetes. I am a healthy Diabetic and that is because I look after myself. Type 2 has increased significantly in the last 10 years and that is the drain on the Health Care system, not Type 1.
It sickens me to think that Diabetes research dollars are going towards Type 2 research!
Nice to know I'm not the only Type 1 Diabetic that gets aggravated by an article of this nature.

Posted by David Spero RN on 22 April 2010

Many commenters here with type 1 are tired of being slapped with the prejudice and ignorance that type 2 people face nearly every day. But it's sad when type 1's adopt the same prejudices.

Type 2 is NOT primarily a disease of "obesity" or laziness. Most heavy people never get diabetes, and many people with type 2 are not especially overweight. See my last blog about other factors in type 2 at http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/Blog/David-Spero/insulin-resistance-not-the-whole-story/.

Yes, type 1 is harder to live with than type 2. It's too bad society is so ignorant about the differences. But let's not take it out on each other!

Posted by Anonymous on 22 April 2010

As a type 1 diabetic married to a type 2, I can't believe all the vitriol here. Type 1's have _nothing_ to learn from type 2s? How self absorbed do you have to be say something like that? Yes, there are a lot of differences, but there are commonalities as well. And when my wife was diagnosed with Type 2, I believe I became a much better diabetic.

Posted by Anonymous on 23 April 2010

I disagree...T1 and T2 are a completely different ballgame. I am a T1 and the difference here is that some T2s can almost eliminate their diabtes with diet/exercise, but T1s will have to be lifers no matter what. And not by any doings or lack there of on their part. Just my opinion as a T1.

Posted by nurseblondi on 24 April 2010

As a long-standing T1 (37 years - I was diagnosed in 1973 at the age of 17 months) AND as a Registered Nurse Certified Diabetes Educator, I am appalled that dLife posted this article. The author obviously has no idea what T1, or for that matter, T2 patients go through on a daily basis. The educator listed in the article as well needs to spend some time HEARING & LISTENING to what those of us who live with this disease say. The media needs to be scolded when they fail to define the differences between T1 & T2. Something else to call attention to is that many T1's also have insulin resistance stemming from lack of activity & poor diet.
In any case, SHAME ON YOU dLIFE!

Posted by Anonymous on 26 April 2010

I'm type 1, and have been only for about 10 months. I'm 25, and since being in the hospital when I was diagnosed last year, I went from an A1C of 11 to 5.6. I surf, mountain bike, rock climb, wakeboard, skate, lift weights and eat better than anyone I know. My body fat is probably less than 2%. So yes, it aggrivates me when people with type 2 or "hypoglycemic" whine.. You know why? Because I can't eat a mint (hypo) or take a pill and just eat better and deal with it (type 2). I'm stuck on insulin for the rest of my life. That's fine with me, but I don't want to hear complaining from people who have it easier than me. I have the world's smallest violin playing for them. You know what though? I can outrun, outperform, and outlast probably every last one of them, because I'm healthier than 99% of Americans and eat and exercise the way everyone should. My friends can't even keep with me. So, maybe it's the other way around - maybe its Type 2's who can learn a thing or two from us. :)

Posted by Anonymous on 26 April 2010

I remember when my very chubby 10 year old little boy started drinking tons of water and peeing and lost 10 pounds in a week. I brough him to the pediatrician - there was glucose in his urine and we were sent directly to the hospital - "your son has diabetes". At the hospital they did the blood work to determine if he had the antibodies of Type 1 and I prayed and prayed and prayed that he was Type 2...
And he wasn't and I was devastated.
Does that make it clear the difference?

I am also a Registered Nurse and I have seen Type 2s throughout my career that are so extremely confused about their disease - it is shocking the lack of motivation and ability to take action to help themselves. My son is trim and active now (same weight as when diagnosed but 5 inches taller).

I would take Type 2 over Type 1 anyday and I too am sick of people saying is it because he was so chubby? The ignorace is amazing.

I think we totally enable Type 2s also - We need endocrinologists to get tough with some of these people about diet and exercise.

So in conclusion, yeah Type 2s can learn something from Type 1s - thank your lucky stars you don't have Type 1.

Posted by MelanieNathan on 27 April 2010

I think the ultimate purpose behind the article was to accomplish unity in purpose. It is really interesting to note the resentment and polarization between Type 1 and Type 11. But for as many as are offended, there may well be as many who read more into the ideal of a healthy lifestyle regardless. People who are not offended often tend not to comment. However I must say a debate and hearing the experiences of others is important in itself.

Posted by Anonymous on 28 April 2010

The problem with this article isn't so much that it's saying people with type 1 can learn something from type 2, but assuming that people with type 1 aren't already learning these lessons for themselves. Plenty of PWDs with type 1 exercise regularly, take their medication faithfully, and make small changes to get healthy. These aren't genius concepts divined by the type 2 community.

I will say that the amount of misinformation and misconceptions about type 2 diabetes in the comments are disgusting. Type 2 diabetes is not CAUSED by obesity - it's a contributing factor. Type 2 is not cured through diet and exercise - it is managed, just like insulin. Type 2 diabetes does not have the same flexibility as type 1 - blood sugars have to be dropped through extra exercise or changes in diet, not just a simple bolus. People with type 2 diabetes can go years without being diagnosed, which means that many people with type 2 are diagnosed at the same time they find out they have complications.

Type 2 diabetes is a bitch, same as type 1 diabetes. And yes, they are different. But we both have to do things that are different, we both have a health issues and learning tactics and strategies for handling certain situations could help.

In any event, if you don't like people spreading misconceptions about your disease, you should probably be damn sure you're not spreading misinformation about someone else's. It's not nice.

-Allison Blass
www.lemonade-life.com

Posted by David Spero RN on 5 May 2010

I wrote about this article on my blog and got a lot of comments you might be interested in. Check it out at http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/Blog/David-Spero/type-1s-vs-type-2s/

Posted by Anonymous on 8 May 2010

I have been a type2 diabetic for some 24 years now. I developed the illness in my late 20s. After initial medicinal treatments, I was able to regain control with diet modification and exercise. HOWEVER, over time my conditioned worsened, eventually having to return to oral meds even though I was watching my diet.

I am now totally insulin dependent even though I just lost 55 pounds, some of which were added due to health issues and their treatments. It has decreased my needed amounts of insulin, but I still suffer from extreme incidences of hypoglycemia... some life threatening, others of severe hyperglycemia due to my being a brittle diabetic. My islets stopped functioning a number of years ago after a 5 year rapid "burning out".

When I was younger many type1 diabetics told me I could never understand their lives, yet now I know first hand, and rightly remind them that some type2s unfortunately digress to a state similar to theirs threw no fault of our own in spite of our best efforts to control or illness.

I too believe both can learn from each other. I am an inactive RN, but there was a day I did some diabetic teaching, and now I can see the differences, yet the similarities in a whole different light then what I used to teach 25 years ago.

Posted by Anonymous on 2 December 2010

Let me guess...Clay Wirestone is a frustrated type 2? Sick of being told that he can change his condition and that he brought it on himself? As a type 1, I can understand how it would be frustrating to have people constantly assuming that your disease is your fault. It may be the case for some, but not all. However, to say that type 1's "look down our noses" at the type 2 is hostile and unnecessary. There is no reason to pin the two types against each other, because they are essentially two completely different diseases and should be regarded as such. Please don't take out your own frustrations on a group with its own set of very trying, difficult and demanding problems that are dealt with on a daily basis. I would challenge you to put yourself in my shoes (and the shoes of the other type 1's you've insulted) and be forced to ACTIVELY KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE every day, like we do. Please don't suggest that I have anything to learn from someone that does not have my same condition.

Posted by Anonymous on 4 March 2012

Wow, this article is really insulting to Type 1's. You obviously have absolutely no idea what it is like living with Type 1! There is not a freaking thing that can or even want to learn from someone with type 2. Please get your heads screwed on straight and stop even comparing us to one another! We are not even remotely the same! It is already hard enough as it is and there is enough misconception already. Please pull you head out of your butt and stop writing articles like this!

Posted by Anonymous on 19 March 2013

My 13 year old brother was recently diagnosed with type one, and I think the heart-wrenching piece for people with type one and their loved ones is the no-cure factor. It's a slap in the face for a good-hearted, 13 year old child to hear that he's going to have to have multiple shots every day for the rest of his life or he will die. These children have their whole lives ahead of them, and until the disease effects you personally, it's hard to imagine how gut-wrenching a feeling it is. Major life experiences will forever be altered.

There are many different severities of type 2, and type 2's have hope that they will not have to rely on insulin by regulating it with diet and other factors. As a general rule, type 2 also develops later in life. I'm 27, and I would give anything to trade places with my brother. I've had wonderful experiences without the worry of insulin, and I want those experiences for him too.

Posted by Anonymous on 19 September 2013

I can't wait for your next article entitled, "What people with breast cancer can learn from people with brain cancer"....since they both start with the letter "b"

Comment: