The Healthcare Bill: We're Confused, But Our Opinions Are Very Firm Nevertheless

Despite politicians' best efforts, we haven't really changed our opinions on the healthcare bill since its passage.

| Jan 11, 2011

As the new House of Representatives pumps itself up to repeal Obama's healthcare bill because it's "the will of the people," Kaiser has released survey results that probe the details of that will. When you dig a little deeper, it turns out, we might not really know what we are talking about.

Our opinions, nevertheless, are very firm. Despite politicians' best efforts, we haven't really changed our opinions on the bill since its passage:  42 percent, mostly Democrats, favor it; 41 percent, mostly Republicans, don't; and the rest have no opinion.

But do all the anti-billers really want a full repeal? Not exactly. Although 41 percent don't favor the bill, only 24 percent, a little over half of them, want a full repeal. Although 42 percent favor the bill, only 21 percent want to keep the law exactly as it is. One quarter of the population wants to repeal parts of the law and keep other parts.

Looking more closely at the opinions of the half of us who want some or all of the bill repealed, it becomes clear that we are not so single-minded as we may seem. More than seven in ten want to keep the provisions that provide tax credits to small businesses (78 percent), gradually close the Medicare donut hole (72 percent), forbid insurance companies to deny coverage based on pre‐existing conditions (71 percent), and help lower‐income Americans buy coverage (71 percent).  More than half (54 percent) support keeping increases in the Medicare payroll tax on people with high income.

In fact, there is only one provision that the "repeal some or all" population specifically wants repealed: the individual mandate that requires all Americans to have health insurance. Two‐thirds of Americans (68 percent, which apparently includes some who want to keep the law as it is) want to see that single provision repealed. It looks like we want good healthcare-we just don't like anything that bosses us around.

What about the quarter of Americans who are all-out for repealing the whole kit and caboodle? Oddly enough, about half of them still said that that lawmakers should keep provisions that provide tax credits to small businesses (51 percent) and prohibit pre‐existing condition denials (49 percent). More than four in ten (43 percent) want to keep improved Medicare prescription drug benefits, and three in ten (31 percent want to keep financial help for lower income Americans.

It's clear that the "will of the people" is not so clear as it might seem, even to us, the people ourselves.

***

Source:

Kaiser

Categories: Government & Policy, Health Care, Health Insurance

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 11 January 2011

After reading this article I will UNSUBSCRIBE to this newsletter. Knowing you support Obamas healthcare pkg just burns me up!! I agree we need healthcare reform, but NOT this garbage he is trying to shove on our backs! I submitt that even YOU have not red every word of this bill or you would not support it either. We don't need the government telling us what to do!
I'm OUT!! Rita Brown, MISSISSIPPI

Posted by Anonymous on 12 January 2011

Politicians are in the pocket of big Pharma and the Insurance Industry. They do not represent the American people, they only in it to enrich themselves. They have Government provided Health Insurance But want to Hide that fact from the American public. ie the recent vote by the newly elected Republican majority.

Posted by Guy on 12 January 2011

I agree that the law is imperfect. However, I now have the health insurance under PCIP that was denied to me for the past decade by private insurers due to my Type I diabetes. Yes,it costs money. It is not welfare and will expire in 2014 when insurance companies WILL NOT be able to write policies only for the young and healthy but will have to cover all americans. For diabetics that are unable to qualify for private insurance now, check out www.pcip.gov.

Posted by Anonymous on 12 January 2011

It seems that the only parts of this new law that anyone, including this newsletter, want to talk about are the provisions that most people agree with, e.g. pre existing conditions coverage; removing the "doughnut hole" in prescription drug coverage and providing tax credits for small business if they subscribe to certain provisions of the law.

However, what about the half trillion dollar cut in the Medicare budget (which is supposed to be recovered by eliminating waste, fraud and abuse). If this were possible, why haven't they done that already? Next, how about the $1.1 Billion for the establishment of a commission, The Independent Payment Advisory Board, which will have the authority to limit spending on Medicare. Their decision will be binding unless Congress enacts equivalent cost savings of its own. For the first time, a group of unelected bureaucrats to limit health care spending for seniors. And there are so many other provisions that are equally onerous. Has anyone on your staff actually read the entire law? Just think about it; it doesn't take over 2,700 pages to enact the provisions most people like. What else is in those extra pages. Start reading the entire law; it will shock you and maybe you won't be so confused any more.

Posted by Anonymous on 12 January 2011

This is not for America. You will lose far more than you will receive from this bill.
Do you really want to pay from someone's 27 year old child? Do you want your medical care provided on a basis of a handbook? This is a really bad bill and should never be passes.

Posted by Anonymous on 12 January 2011

Well, you decide this..
You have X # of Limted dollars to spend..
Do you spend it on the real Sick, like 2 Million T1 Diabetics and then you can't take care of 25 million non t1's ? Or do you let them fall by the wayside so you can take care of the other 25 million?

It costs More to take care of a T1 than Breast Cancer, AIDs and 5 other diseaes combined...But their are only about 2 million T1's..

And How come? Only the Few can get Insulin Pumps and those Expensive Test Strips and fancy Meters and CGM's? While the Rest ( over 75%) cannot? Insulin Pumps cost over $7,500 now and have to be replaced every 3-5 yrs.. CGM's cost $3,000 and have to be replaced every 2-3 yrs!

The Higher End test Meters strips cost over $1 each, while the Generics only cost 0.20 cents each , but they both provide the same readings!

And we have to Buy our Generic Test strips and Meters in CANADA No less!

So Medicare will only pay for 3 strips per day of the expensive strips, but won't pay for the Generic types were you can get 10 strips a day for the same price!

And we all Know how useless those Long Lasting insulins are.. And How much better Insulin Pumps are using just the fast Acting only.. So why arent' All T1's given Insulin Pumps?

Posted by Anonymous on 13 January 2011

I am 82 years old. During midterm elections Nov. 2010 my new leader was adamant how he is going to save grandmas from being thrown under the bus by repealing the democrat health care. Only I already was thrown under the bus now. I fell, lost balance, broke a leg. Lumped with old lady, got dizzy, fall risk. Broken bone healed rapidly, care was fast, friendly. I lost ability to stand up, walk to BR. Future bleak - bedrest, diapers, nursing home, sell house to pay for nursing home about 3 yrs, then welfare. End of life planning while in beautiful Rehab place. Heart has been great since aortic valve replacement 4 yrs ago. Valve good for 12
more years.Considered ending life now. can be done in 2 weeks.My friend in Florida did it with hospice last year. In desperation like a drowning man grabbibg at straws I stopped taking my statin med that was savivg my heart. I chose legs over my heart. 3 weeks later I noticed a change in my extremely bad balance, fall risk, you know, tag on my wrist.I do not have to die. All it was extreme muscle damage to my thigh muscles, needed to stand up, extreme loss of balance, and who knows what else. End of my life is unknown again. The best way. Mark 2 in the bible. Take your bed and WALK. My polititian surely got more lobbyists from big companies than old ladies under the bus. Apparently the symptoms from side effects of drugs and normal aging are very similar,and no one was more surprised than I am. Medicine is not an exact science, it is an art.In 21st century new drugs and their side effects. I am lucky I broke the round bone off my hip when I lost balance for no obvious reason.

my name is Biruta in Omaha, NE. I am a diabetic, read Diabetes Health. Read that low serum cholesterol can cause my symptoms, including suicide. eu.

Posted by Anonymous on 13 January 2011

I am surprised to find so many "haters" commenting here. I would have thought the coverage for preexisting conditions alone would garner support, while realizing that improvements and clarifications in other areas needed. For those type 2s here, are you covered by medicare? You do realize that is similar to what a single payor system might be, and that it is a government run program? So you may have coverage but wish to deny that to young type 1 patients? My daughter turns 21 soon and without the provisions here she faces real hardship affording supplies just to stay alive. Her type 1 diabetes was not her choice or exacerbated by her lifestyle. I am happy to have MY insurance premiums increase until she gets established on her own. You do realize many jobs today don't provide health insurance, the only way for type 1s to get coverage at an affordable rate, if at all. If she has no coverage and ends up in a hospital, YOU will indirectly be paying for her care. The irony here is that the lack of a mandated coverage provision was a big complaint by Republicans about the Clinton proposal in the mid 90's. So the current plan includes what Republicans wanted then, but have now taken a 180 degree turn on.

Posted by chanson3633 on 13 January 2011

Wow! The responses to this article really underline how firm our beliefs are on this subject.

Comment: