Diabetes Archives

Diabetes Educators Have Your Number

Sep 2, 2011

AADE Behavior Score Dashboard

Don't think that you can pull one over on your diabetes educator anymore. The American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) has developed an official, standard method to measure the progress made by their diabetic patients.

The AADE hopes that the Behavior Score Dashboard will help educators both set goals and then measure their patients' progress toward meeting them. No more fudging replies or wriggling out of uncomfortable requests: Your educator will be looking for specific answers to specific questions.

"Until the development of this tool, specific metrics for measuring diabetes-related behavior change had not been defined, and it was up to the discretion and experience of each diabetes educator to determine the level of progress that the patient had achieved," said Donna Tomky, president of the AADE. "This new tool will help all diabetes educators be able to more effectively set realistic goals with their patients and uniformly measure their success."

The Behavior Score Dashboard focuses on seven crucial areas already identified by the AADE: healthy eating, being active, monitoring, taking medication, problem-solving, reducing risks, and healthy coping. Importantly, it looks at those seven measures over a period of time.

Patients will first be asked how they're doing in each area. They'll then have to answer how well they understand the subject and if they think they're doing enough to achieve a successful result. Over a series of appointments, the educators and patients will be able to track  changes to behavior and, hopefully, improvements in self care.

The Behavior Score Dashboard has gone through multiple real-world trials. It was tested at Atlanta's Emory University in 2009 and during the last two years at the Western Montana Clinic in Missoula and the Baylor Health Care System's Diabetes Health and Wellness Institute in Dallas.

The dashboard was developed by a group of healthcare professionals from multiple disciplines. It will be available to educators as part of the existing AADE7 system---which already incorporates the seven areas mentioned above. It will also be available as an online tool.

Source:

Categories: American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE), Atlanta's Emory University, Baylor Health Care System\'s Diabetes Health, Behavior Score Dashboard, Being Active, Diabetes, Diabetes, Diabetes-Related Behavior Change, Donna Tomky, Healthy Eating, Online Tool, Taking Medication, Wellness Institute, Western Montana Clinic in Missoula

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 2 September 2011

Wow! Diabetics have been reduced to a series of numbers. So the A1C is the ultimate grade from the doctor, & now this new grade from the CDE. The real problem is that diabetics are people,not just numbers. Too bad the medical community hasn't figured that out.

Posted by Anonymous on 4 September 2011

'Don't think that you can pull one over on your diabetes educator anymore. '

Being Diabetic is a disease, perhaps some empathy is needed by 'care' professionals, rather than this combatted toned article. It is not easy to control Diabetes and stop consuming what is so easily available and what most take for granted. As seen by diets, consistency is not easy.

Posted by Joan Hoover on 6 September 2011

I am appalled, no...OUTRAGED, by the tone of this article.The person with diabetes has NO obligation what so ever to fulfill the wishes of the Diabetes Educator. Abusive, intimidating D.E.s who make a difficult disease even more stressful, should be fired....starting with the author of this diatribe.

Posted by Anonymous on 6 September 2011

I so agree with these posts! I've had diabetes for 55 years, and I grew tired long ago of "professionals" treating me as if I were 5 years old. Diabetic educators don't control anyone's diabetes; we control our own. Give me the information - I am a responsible adult and will use it as I see fit. The entire tone of this article is insulting.

Posted by Anonymous on 7 September 2011

Ah, we are now going to have a "one size fits all" method of judging howthousands of separate, independent and individual diabetics are doing. What insanity! I fired two doctors for trying to do that to me because I didn't fit their textbook model. The AADE has taken a giant step backwards just like the ADA has been doing.

Posted by Anonymous on 7 September 2011

What's worse is except for that graphic in the article that's too small to read, and a generic announcement on the website.. there is no specifics. So if you wanted to use that "scorecard" for self-mainentance you can't do it. Typical.

I don't need to "pull off" anything to my educator as I don't go to one because I know as much or more about DMII than any educator I've ever run in to. The chart seems very "food pyramid-ish" and will be of limited use.

Diabetes management, like almost everything in life, is best done by an individual for themself.

Posted by Anonymous on 7 September 2011

Articles like this make me hoppin' mad. So it all comes down to metrics? We are human beings. What happened to empathy and support? After 30 years of living with Type 1 diabetes I know what works for me, and it's not being held up to a set of scores. This is garbage.

Posted by DAR on 8 September 2011

Whose idea of "healthy eating" does this measure? If I ate all the things most "diabetes educators" recommend, I'd surely need meds! As it is, I don't take meds and my last A1c was 4.9. My "Healthy Coping" and "Problem Solving" include not seeing a diabetes educator who thinks I'm trying to "pull one over" on them because I do what works for me, not what "a group of healthcare professionals from multiple disciplines" (who most likely don't have diabetes themselves) think works to control BGLs.

Posted by chanson3633 on 12 September 2011

I think that the nerve this article hit has to do with the fact that the report mis-characterizes the Diabetes Dashboard as something that will have an affect on the behavior of diabetic patients. It will not. It is a tool for Diabetes Educators so they can manage their case loads more efficiently and keep better records. It has nothing to do with individual treatment.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 September 2011

And that's part of the problem, medical practices that focus on using tools, managing caseloads more efficiently, and keeping better records. I don't want my health to get lost in administration and bureaucracy.

Posted by Anonymous on 11 October 2011

As a CDE, I agree with the negative comments above. I don't like the "tone" of this either! My goal is to empower my patients by educating, not demeaning or reducing them to colors on a chart!!

Posted by Anonymous on 7 November 2011

I agree with the emotions of folks with diabetes as to the tone of this article. I also have the same reaction being someone with type 1 for over 40yr. As a CDE, I am very displeased with this representation of the AADE7 Behavior Score Dashboard. As others have said it is ONLY a tool, for which the intent is to assist persons with diabetes & their educators to clarify where percieved gaps in self-reatment exist & to allow the individual to set more specific goals for themselves. Because CDE's have to "justify" to medical payors for the cost of this education & support, we have long needed this type of "tool". It is not meant to JUDGE nor CONDEMN someone suffering with this diabetes.

Comment: