An Update on Bydureon

Give us feedback about your experience with it

| Feb 17, 2012

You've heard of the blockbuster drug Byetta, a daily injection for type 2 diabetes? Byetta's sister product, Bydureon, which is injected just once a week, has just been approved by the FDA and is available in pharmacies.

Both of these injectable exenatide medications have the same active ingredient. Bear in mind that they are not insulin replacements. They can be used with other type 2 medications, but may cause low blood sugar if the other type 2 doses are not adjusted. If you have ketoacidosis or type 1 diabetes, these medications are not for you, nor are they recommended for children.

You may experience nausea when going on Bydureon. Other possible side effects include constipation, diarrhea, and headache. To read all the safety information for Bydureon, go to www.BYDUREON.com.

Some people qualify for a copayment savings card when purchasing Bydureon. The program is intended to give patients more access to Bydureon by saving them up to $50 a month for a 24-month prescription. Go to www.bydureonreimbursement.com to find out if you qualify.

If you have been using Bydureon, please give us feedback about your experience with it. Your comments will appear below this article.

Categories: Bydureon, Byetta, Constipation, Diabetes, Diabetes, Diarrhea, Exenatide, FDA, Headache, Insulin, Insulin Replacements. Type 2 Medications, Ketoacidosis, Nausea, Type 1 Diabetes, Type 1 Issues, Type 2 Diabetes, Type 2 Issues

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 2 April 2012

I just switched from Byetta to Bydureon. I was so nauseous for a few hours after every Byetta shot, and I expected the same from Bydureon. Not so - and I am thrilled. Time will tell if it was the right choice to switch, but for now I am really happy I did. My co-pay was a little higher, but my insurance did cover it. :)

Posted by Anonymous on 17 April 2012

I switched about two months ago. Sugars went very high and took a lot for me to stay with this. I have noticed the sugars are getting a little better but not as great as before. Also, have nodules at the injection site and also weight gain.
I do not have the stomach issues that go with regular byetta but dont know if the trade off was worth while.

Posted by Anonymous on 12 June 2012

I have been on bydureon now for 3 months and I have experienced every side effect listed. It has been very hard for me but I am sticking with it because in regards to the diabetes I do feel better. I am going fir my A1C on Friday so I will truley know if it is helping. I will post what the results are when I get them. But I do have to say if it is not better I will give up on this med. The other thing I find hard about it is that if you do have questions the dr and pharmacy can't answer them because you are there guinea pig. Lol

Posted by Anonymous on 23 July 2012

I have only had two injections with bydureon and both caused me bruising , continous pain , and there is still swelling at one of the sites with a growth in my abdomen area at both sites these shots were given about two months ago . My physician said he had one other patient with the same problems and could only reccomend heat at this time and keep a watch on it . Please post any remedys for this pain and discomfort .

Posted by Anonymous on 18 August 2012

I felt full faster at meal-time! The bumps go away--that's just the medicine slowly released. I choose that over several shots & finger sticks I'd have to do with insulin--not mention the weight gain--I am losing weight on Bydureon!

Posted by Anonymous on 13 November 2012

I used it twice and I have 2 hard nodules at each injection area. How do I get rid of them? Needless to say I have discontinued the medication.

Posted by Anonymous on 24 January 2013

I just started on the Bydureon few weeks ago, yes my sugars went up a little bit, but I found I need to adjust my diet, with the Byetta I knew I could eat a bit more of what I shouldn't because my shot and metformin would bring it down faster than what the Bydureon does. I was throwing up every meal almost taking the byetta...but I had my thyroid checked and found that it was low (even tho my test said normal, it was low for me) Once I started on meds the nausa and throwing up stopped. I love the Bydureon and freedom of only injecting once a week. Yes I have a few nodules, no biggie..at my age lumps are expected.

Posted by Anonymous on 6 February 2013

I have a hard lump that looks bruised (not a small "nodule") at every injection site - this is my 2nd month on Bydureon. My sugar levels are great, my appetite has decreased and I have lost a little weight - I would like to stick with it. If I know these lumps will eventually go away, I can deal with it. Been reading everything I can find and nowhere does it tell you whether they eventually resolve or not.

Posted by Anonymous on 11 June 2013

Been on Bydureon about 2 months after switching from Actos which made me gain weight. Have now lost about 20 lbs and the doctor is thrilled. My A1C was always pretty good and has only gotten better. I get a touch of diarrhea every other week but it is short lived. Inject on Saturday and if it is going to happen it happens at about 48 hrs. Backing it up with metformin.

Posted by Anonymous on 11 July 2013

It took a while to get used to the needle - it's as big as a firehose when compared tothe needles I am used to using on pens! I've gotten the knackl of it and don't much mind the somehwast complicated multi-step process that is necessary to losen the powder, mix it with the liquid, adjust everything and then shoot away.
The convenience of weekl;ty vs daily injections is worth the price of admission, for sure. I have had no real side effects, other thaqn the fact that if something is going to make me queesey in the slightest, this seems to accentuate that. Minor, at worse. I titered down my use of Apidra before dinner meal (I was a 32 units). Within 1 month, I eliminated the Apridra altogetrher. My glucose readings are very much improved, even the morning fasting reading that has been one of thjose dawn syndrome marvels that shoots very high no matter whast I do. I drooped to under 140 from 200+ just a few weeks before. before dinner, I am under 100 - first time in years. I have to watch heavy exercise as I have seen readings drop into the 70's. All in all - I am extremely happy.

Posted by caritenar on 23 April 2014

thanks for sharing.

Posted by Anonymous on 18 June 2014

I started taking Bydureon about 6 weeks ago. I have a little discomfort when injecting, but the pain generally subsides. I get the nodules, which my doctor warned me about. It's not that big of a deal. I do have a 2 week old injection site that is acting up/uncomfortable. I don't know if I would call it pain. It feels like miniature cramping right around the nodule. I wonder if I hit a nerve or something. I have seen weight loss. This is wonderful for me as my thyroid started acting up, I thought I would never lose weight. I am down roughly 10 lbs. That I had put on in the last year. The best part is I feel better. No drug is perfect, I get crazy side effects from everything. But I am thrilled to feel like I have my life back! The other side effect I noticed is that I have tummy issues. I have been carefully monitoring what is causing them. I noticed that eating steak doesn't digest well anymore and causes trouble for 2-3 days.

Posted by Anonymous on 15 October 2014

I just got started on bydureon this week, so only one injection so far. My humalog was stopped, and I was instructed to keep my carbs 30-40 gems per meal. My sugars are stable in or just below 100 each meal. Hope this works. I was having dangerous lows with Lantus/ humalog regimen. My endocrinologist feels he should be able to get me off of Lantus and can just add some other oral med in place of it if mI can lose weight.

Posted by Anonymous on 13 November 2014

I have been on buydeuron.  My glucose went from 330 to 130. My A1c from 9.0 to 6.0 I loss total of 17lbs...I love it..only side effect headache, conspitation but I eat prunes n drink lots of water n it helps. Good luck...it really works...

Comment: