Diabetic Archives

Have You Noticed This About Your Diabetes?

Yawning With Low Blood Sugar

Nov 17, 2012

Yawning With Low Blood Sugar

In this new column, "Have You Noticed This About Your Diabetes?" readers send in observations and questions, and, in response, other readers share similar and not-so-similar experiences by posting in the "Comments" section.

The following is Christie's question about the association of hypoglycemia with yawning.

"Years ago, I noticed a sign whenever my blood sugars are too low and occasionally when they are too high: yawning! It has been as accurate as can be. Often if I continually yawn, my husband will ask me to go and check my blood sugar. More than 98 percent of the time, it is as accurate a predictor as shaking or sweating, and it usually happens much sooner. Has anyone else ever noticed this symptom? People think I'm crazy when I bring up this topic!"

If you have a question that you would like answered by a member of our advisory board or shared with our readers, please email editor@diabeteshealth.com, and write your question in the subject line. And please use the "Comments" feature to respond to the above question. (Note that comments take one to two days to post because they must be approved by an editor.)

It is important to keep in mind that diabeteshealth.com is a site by the people and for the people of the diabetes community. What you read here is the opinion of the writers, many of whom are not medical professionals. That's why it's important that you speak to your healthcare professional before changing your therapy on the basis of something you have read.

For those of you who commented on John M's question in this column, would you mind reposting your comments? They were inadvertently deleted.

Categories: Blood Sugar, Diabetes, Diabetes Health, Diabetes Health Magazine, Diabetic, Hypoglycemia

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 20 November 2012

I haven't noticed that yawning may indicate hypoglycaemia in my child but I will be watching for it now!! Thank you for sharing.

Aine

Posted by Anonymous on 20 November 2012

No yawning signs but if I get a numb tongue, I know I am in trouble!

Posted by Dick F on 20 November 2012

Makes sense to me, I get tired when I have high or low BS, so yawning would be an appropriate action!

Posted by MargotL on 20 November 2012

I have had Type 1 for 26 years. In the past I used to have a hard time focussing when my blood sugar was low, but during the past three months, when it was low I got extremely sleepy.

Posted by njr312 on 20 November 2012

I totally agree...it doesn't always happen, but when I am yawning alot, my husband will also tell me to go check my blood sugar and usually he's right.

Posted by Anonymous on 20 November 2012

Over ten years ago one of my patients noticed the same thing. This was a lady with hypoglycemia unawareness, until we made this correlation. She lived alone and I was very worried about that. Discovering the yawn sign may have been a lifesaver for her. She knew that, even if someone yawned in her face, if she yawned too it was absolutely imperative that she check her blood sugar!

Posted by Anonymous on 20 November 2012

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 22 years,several years ago I realized that I yawn when going low. It is a consistant "tell" for me and is helpful in recognizing I am going low before any other symtoms kick in

Posted by Anonymous on 20 November 2012

I have had the same experience.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 November 2012

Yes I have noticed the same thing. Its continus yawning.

Posted by Anonymous on 21 November 2012

yes I agree certainly sometimes yawning can be just a sign of being tired but it is also a good sign of being low

Posted by Anonymous on 22 November 2012

I have been a type 1 diabetic for over 27 years. Yep, I definitely have noticed that usually when I yawn more than 2 consecutive times it is a sign my blood sugar is low.

Posted by Trekker on 23 November 2012

Very definitely, yawning is a sign of a low BG. My husband discovered this in me, many years ago. Living with type 1 for over 50 years.

Posted by Anonymous on 25 November 2012

Yes. This always happens to me during lows. I'm guessing it's a body's reaction to get more oxygen as the low blood sugar is effecting other functions. It's a legitimate thing to be conscious of.

Comment: