Archives

Have You Noticed This About Your Diabetes?

Itchy Skin After Diabetes Diagnosis

Nov 22, 2012

Itchy Skin After Diabetes Diagnosis

In this new column, "Have You Noticed This About Your Diabetes?" readers send in observations and questions, and, in response, other readers share similar and not-so-similar experiences by posting in the "Comments" section.

The following question about itchy skin was submitted by an anonymous reader.

"Ever since I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I have had really itchy skin rashes. An acne-like skin problem usually follows the red rash. Has anyone else had this, and what have you done to clear it up?"

If you have a question that you would like answered by a member of our advisory board or shared with our readers, please email editor@diabeteshealth.com, and write your question in the subject line. And please use the "Comments" feature to respond to the above question. (Note that comments take one to two days to post because they must be approved by an editor.)

It is important to keep in mind that diabeteshealth.com is a site by the people and for the people of the diabetes community. What you read here is the opinion of the writers, many of whom are not medical professionals. That's why it's important that you speak to your healthcare professional before changing your therapy on the basis of something you have read.

Categories: , Diabetes, Diabetes Health, Diabetes Health Magazine, Diabetic, Type 2 Issues

Comments

Posted by Anonymous on 27 November 2012

I am type 1 diabetic and have those rashes all over my body. My dermatologist diagnosed it as granuloma annulare. Its a common side affect of Diabetes Mellatis. A minor skin biopsy will tell you if that is what it is and there are a few treatments ointments, tapes, or light therapy. If its bad enough you learn to live with it.

Wish I had better news.

Posted by momof2TD1 on 27 November 2012

Since diagnosis of TD1 my 16 yr.old daughter has also had similar skin issues. Has been diagnosed with psoriasis and prescribed "fluocinonide"
takes care of issue before break out worsens pretty quickly.

Posted by Diane on 27 November 2012

I have had type 2 for 6 years and also get an itchy rash - on my legs only. The itch is so severe that I scratch until I draw blood. My dermatologist recommended CeraVe cream in a jar (as opposed to the lotion). I also have a prescription for hydroxyzine HCL 10 mg. to take as needed when the itch is really bad. An ice pack also helps to calm the itching when it's really bad. Hope this helps - good luck.

Posted by Anonymous on 27 November 2012

i have had Type 2 diabetes for 10 years. first on metformin and in the past two years on januvia as well. i am in great control with an a1c of 5.5%. it was the januvia that took me from 6 to 5.5..... but it also caused me to have dry itchy skin. i manage it with various moisturizers and have never quite got any sores or scaly skin. but as i am also on atorvastatin and a low fat diet, i wonder if there is a self fullfilling prophesy of dry skin caused by shutting down cholesterol and lipids in the body. and i am not sure if januvia adds to the problem or is coincidental in my case.

Posted by Anonymous on 27 November 2012

Yes I use Curel itch defense lotion and I've gone to the dermatologist to get prescription strength hydrocortisone cream. Works great!

Posted by Anonymous on 27 November 2012

hello, yes. i was having dry skin but i was blaming to the airconditioners & dry conditions inside. just recently my GP adviced me to contact dermatologist. i still havent recd any appointmnet time yet.

Posted by blossom on 27 November 2012

I have had dry itchy skin and use Avon (or any good brand) of loton with oatmeal in it. It seems to work for me. I also try to keep good control of candida because one of its side effects is skin rash. Hope this helps.

Posted by Dick F on 29 November 2012

I made the original query, and want to clarify a little bit. I am NOT talking about dry itchy skin, I am talking about a red rash that sounds like what Diane is talking about. I get dry skin too, but that is an annoyance, this is a rash that makes you want to scratch your skin off. It has been mainly on the shins, but has also appeares on my waist, sides, and other places, it can be wide spread or small. i have been treating it with Rx 0.5% desonide lotion, but it does not go away quickly even with treatment. If anyone has successfully treated this please let me know how.

Comment: