Type 2 Costs Average $85,000 Over a Lifetime
However, looking at the lifetime costs by age groups showed a decided difference in the average. Researchers divided their study of recently diagnosed type 2 subjects into eight cohorts by age and sex:
• Ages 25-44 years: $124,700 lifetime cost
• Ages 45-54 years: $106,200 lifetime cost
• Ages 55-64 years: $84,000 lifetime cost
• Ages 65 years and older: $54,700 lifetime cost
• Ages 25-44 years: $130,800 lifetime cost
• Ages 45-54 years: $110,400 lifetime cost
• Ages 55-64 years: $85,500 lifetime cost
• Ages 65 years and older: $56,600 lifetime cost
The study estimates that 53 percent of the lifetime cost was for treating diabetic complications. Of that percentage, 57 percent was devoted to managing cardiovascular problems. Other complications included kidney disease, retinopathy, neuropathy, and amputations.
Routine costs associated with treating diabetes were doctor visits, medications, and testing supplies.
Researchers had no recommendations for reducing the lifetime costs of type 2 diabetes care other than finding ways to delay its onset.
The study is available online at www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797%2813%2900338-3/abstractClick Here To View Or Post Comments