Spicy Pumpkin Muffins
Recipe courtesy of Marlene Koch’s "375 Sensational Splenda Recipes"
While delicious any time of year, pumpkin muffins are the perfect way to kick of the fall season.
This recipe is a particular favorite as it the muffins are so wonderfully spiced. To kick up the fiber a notch, replace one-half of the all-purpose flour with white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour.
Ingredients & Methods
3/4 cup pumpkin packed puree
1 cup granulated sugar substitute*
6 tablespoons buttermilk
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons molasses
1 large egg + 1 large egg white
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
*Tested with Splenda granulated no-calorie sweetener
|Nutrition at a Glance (per serving)
|Carbohydrate||22g (sugar: 6g)|
|Fat ||5g (0g saturated) |
|Diabetic exchange||1-1/2 Carbohydrate, 1 Fat|
|WW point comparison ||3 points|
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 10 standard muffin cups in tin with nonstick baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the first 7 ingredients (pumpkin through eggs). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt. Stir; make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the pumpkin mixture. With a large spoon or spatula, stir just until blended.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Diabetes Health Medical Disclaimer
The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images, and information, contained on or available through this website is for general information purposes only. Opinions expressed here are the opinions of writers, contributors, and commentators, and are not necessarily those of Diabetes Health.
Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on or accessed through this website.